• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Captive Womanhood

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
This topic caters to a collection of topics focusing on the state of womanhood not only in Sikh Diaspora but also in other worldwide communities. We solicit your voice on these contentious issues surrounding humanity from times immemorial.

1. So Why Call Her Bad? From Her, Kings are Born!
Although I often have struggled with my cultural identity in this patchwork nation of Canada, I have always retained a sense of pride and devotion to my religion, Sikhism. The Sikh community's...
[Read More on]

2. Curse of Dowry - She was the ticket to a better life
...I just want my daughter's ashes...
[Read More on]

3. Missing Sikh Girl
Why do we Sikhs kill our girls ? Greedy for wealth to be earned from dowry? Scared that we will not be able to save her honor ( strictly speaking it is our own false honor that she...
[Read More on]

4. Guru Granth Sahib ji - Torchbearer of Gender Equality
This year we are fortunate to be celebrating the 300th Anniversary of the Gurta Gadee – ascension to the Throne of the House of Nanak – of the Perpetual GURU – Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Apart from the...
[Read More on]

5. Akal Takhat Says No To Kirtan Sewa By Women At Darbar Sahib
The demand to allow baptized Sikh women to perform kirtan and seva inside the sanctum sanctorum of the Golden Temple raised a controversy again at a seminar...
[Read More on]

6. Honour Killings
Summary "Honour" killings of women can be defined as acts of murder in which "a woman is killed for her actual or perceived immoral behavior."
[Read More on]

And then... there is a Beacon of Light!

:idea: Kaur Power
We Sikhs love to brag that our religion sees women and men as equals. All well and good, Sikhi teaches this. But I don't see many of usr Kaurs standing up as equals. We tend to let the Singhs run...
[Read More on]

We will add to these topics from time to time.

Gurfateh!

:idea:
Special Thanks to BhagatSingh Ji for providing the befitting Artwork!

Attachments

• captive_womanhood.png
    captive_womanhood.png
    60 KB · Reads: 8,288

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Aman ji9

Yes and it is horrible. And I pray for everyone, the victims, the enlightened ones, and even for those who have not awakened and are trapped in their barbarity.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Women sold to survive drought & cyclone

IJS STAFF WRITER 2009-09-06

Kolkata/ New Delhi: Aila cyclone effects the live of the people in Sunderban, now it is drought which seems to have taken a toll on lives of people in Bundelkhand.

Women in the region are allegedly being sold and resold to survive the drought.

The poor debt-ridden farmers, who are already surviving on the margins, are therefore forced to sell their women to earn some money to survive the crisis.

"I have to sell my body because of the staring drought. Sometimes I get Rs 50 and sometimes Rs 100, says a farmer’s wife, Shamo.

Sangeeta’s family also has a similar story to tell. Faced with the unending drought, Sangeeta was sold by her husband to the flesh trader.

"I was sold off. My cost was just Rs 1500," she says.

But the worst part is that all these illegal things are happening on legal stamp papers.

"On a Rs 10 stamp paper people write that they are marrying so that everything looks legal. This makes both buyer and seller safe. There are hundreds of such cases in this region," says a lawyer, Kalicharan.
On other hand, in Sunderbans of West Bengal, Renubala Singh is too poor to feed her minor girl and son and cannot but send them to work with unknown persons at unknown places.

"I cannot feed my children everyday since the cyclone, Aila. I have 3 sons and 3 daugthters. They would roam around hungry. Aila has taken away my means of earning as wage labourer," she says at her tarpaulin tent in Sandeshkhali, 65 km from Kolkata.

The unknown agent also asked her to go to work in New Delhi. She declined. For Rs 400, however, she agreed to send her 12-year-old son Sanjay and 10-year-old daughter Malati to work as domestic helps a week ago.

Reports suggest that many women who became homeless due to the cyclone Aila in the Sunderbans are given indecent proposals by some pimps having connection with flesh trade rackets in Delhi and Mumbai.

Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh and Buddhadeb government in West Bengal failed to solve the problem of poor villagers. Their failures glorify the business of flesh trade rackets.

Mayawati and Buddhadeb Bhattacharya in attempt to emerge as the face of the poor but both seemed to have failed in doing anything for the poor farmers in their respective states.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM