• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Canned Galub Janum: How Long Is It Good For Once Opened?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hello

Sorry for the mundane question, but having not purchased canned galub jamun before, I'm not sure how long it will last once opened and put in a sealed, plastic container in my refrigerator.

Does anybody here know?

Thank you in advance
Ishna

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
re: Canned Galub Janum: How Long Is It Good For Once Opened?

how much did you buy anyway?? that you have to "Keep" ? In my case that would have to be a carton of about 20KG....and that would last 3 days max...ha ha so no need to keep any..ha ha. I LOVE Gulab jmauns..make some almost every fortnight or so...and also jalebis.....barfee/khoa...:whatzpointsing:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

Haha, well it was my first time buying from the indian shop and the didn't have what I wanted (it's a block of light brown stuff which looks like hairs or fibers or hessian pressed together and tastes like shortbread biscuits and has the light dissolving texture like fairy floss / cotton candy and I don't know what it's called!) but I didn't want to leave empty handed so i bought a can of pre-made gulab Jamum which is the only thing I recognized. It has about 15 ***** in it and i've already scoffed 3 of them (yum!!)... I should be ok if they'll last 5 or so days.

Thanks for your help :)

ish

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Ishna Ji..that stuff you were looking for is called PATISA or PATISHA....one of my fav too..my sister jasvir makes the best...and so i have ample supplies all the time...it is very difficult to get it just right...so only a good halwai will attempt it...:):):):)

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

Thanks for telling me what it's called Gyani ji! Now I know what to ask for! I had my first taste of a little piece of it at this past Vaisakhi and think my family would really like it too. :interestedkudi:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

I like this thread because it is a happy thread. A group project in a way, as we figure something practical out together. Ishna enjoy these treats. Next time you go to the Indian store, come back with a fresh report.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It is not hard at all. You just have to be patient and not too rough with the preparation.

I always prefer to post from Manjula's Kitchen. She is a Jain (I am not one who has to have everything coming from Punjabi/Sikh lore). Her recipes and approach are foolproof and perfect for the beginner cook. Do what she says and you will have success.

YouTube - ‪Gulab Jamun Recipe by Manjula, Indian Vegetarian Cooking‬‏

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM