Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Can you tell me how to become a Sikh?

Discussion in 'New to Sikhism' started by spnadmin, May 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Sangat ji

Here is a question that is so perfect in its simplicity. It was asked just today by a new member of Sikh Philosophy Networ
    k.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Should One Always Tell The Truth? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Sep 20, 2016
    Sikh News 'Saakhi' Audio App To Tell Stories Of Sikh History, Valour - Hindustan Times Breaking News Jul 29, 2016
    Hukkam And Fortune Telling Questions and Answers Apr 24, 2016
    Hard Talk Taking One Liners Out Of Context From Gurbani To Allow Intellectual Independence? Hard Talk Apr 23, 2016
    Sikh News Greg Worthington: Let Me Tell You Why This Hateful Joke Isn't Funny Breaking News Feb 18, 2016

3. Mai Harinder Kaur

Mai Harinder Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer

I come from a rather unusual family. My father was a Punjabi Sikh and my mother a French Canadian Roman Catholic. I think most of my friends here don't know that I started life as a Roman Catholic, well, sort of. It's all a bit confusing. :confusedkudi: And it all ends well. :veryhappykudi:

My personal story from my old personal blog, sometimes - 2:

(Note My aunt's name is not Jeanne and the priest 's name was not Leblanc.)

All this happened about 43 years ago, so the conversations are slightly fictionalised. I do not really remember most of them them verbatim. But the meanings are exactly what occurred.

I believe I have mentioned that Dad had promised my mother, who was Catholic, to raise me as a Catholic. He didn't like that at all, but being a man of his word, he kept his promise to her, or rather, he tried to keep his promise to her. No one had consulted me on the matter.

So let's travel back in time of my birth. Mom insisted that I be properly baptised in the church with all the trimmings. Not one of the Sikhs, including Dad and my brothers was there. I was dressed in a very long silk gown that completely engulfed the tiny baby. That dress was kept for a number of years and it was a good meter long. (What became of it I'll tell later.) It was white with elaborate embroidery all over it. Quite a work of art actually. But it did have a stain on it. I, being me, objected to the whole proceedings in the only way a small baby could: I kicked and screamed and threw up all over it. It is said that newborn babies are very close to God and have definite ideas about him/her. I have no recollection, of course, but I was on my worst behaviour, I have been told, kicking and screaming and, as I said, throwing up. My maternal aunt and uncle became my godparents, charged with the duty to make sure that I was brought up and educated as a proper Catholic girl. A Christian name being a necessity, I was named after an ancestor of mine on the French side, Helene-Therese, who, from what I know about her, would have made a fine Khalsa. In fact I used her war dagger in combat. The name was the only good thing about the whole ritual.

My aunt, Jeanne, took me to mass every Sunday for years, and saw to it that I was enrolled in Catechism class, which I had to attend after school.

I hated every minute of it. I begged Daddy to please, please, please put an end to all this; mom had run off and there was no reason to continue. But he was a man of his word, and this forced religious life went on and on. I even hated the smell of the church. It wreaked of cheap incense and old spilled wine. Most of all, I hated the priest, Father Leblanc. He was short and fat and smelled of cigarettes and alcohol. These were the days before Pope John 23 liberalised the church, and the people were taught that the priests were all wise and almost infallible; they were not to be questioned.

This torture went on for years, but when it came time for 'The Sacrament of Confirmation,' I knew I had to put an end to it. No way was I able to stand up and publicly declare that 'I believe in the holy Catholic church.' I knew that if I went to the ceremony, I would have to simply refuse, which might make a point, but would also make a scandal, which I, being a very private person even then, really wanted to avoid. Gradually an idea came to me: If I could get kicked out of the church before all that, the problem would be solved. It would alienate my mother's family, of course, but I had always considered them low-lifes with no standards and would be happy to be rid of them.

So I prepared my plan of attack. One day in confirmation class, I looked at my kara, which was the only Sikh object I was allowed (I'm sure none of the Catholics realised it was more than a piece of cheap jewelry), took a very deep breath, and raised my hand. This greatly surprised Fr. Leblanc because I always just sat there, stony-faced.

He smiled his slimy smile at me. 'Yes, child. Do you have a question??'

I nodded.

'I'll be happy to answer it, my child.'

(I'm not your child, thank God!) 'God is our heavenly father who loves us so much that he sent his son, who is also God, to be tortured to death and then brought back to life, so we wouldn't go to hell, and then he sent the Holy Ghost, who is also God to be our helper, so it seems like there are three Gods, but there is only one. I don't understand?'

I was just beginning. I had rehearsed all this many times before and he had to think I was sincere.

He did.

'That's the mystery of the Holy Trinity, child. It is beyond human understanding.'

'And if we don't believe in it, our loving heavenly father will send us to hell to be tortured in fiery torment forever and ever.'

He was beginning to see where I was headed. 'You mustn't question God, child.' He was becoming annoyed.

I continued in this vein for some time, ripping Catholicism up one dogma and down another.

The good priest just stood there, mouth open, aghast at my words.

'I don't question God. But what you worship and call God is not God; you worship an evil demonic thing and I would rather be tortured for a thousand forevers than to worship that hideous evil THING for even one second!'

Priests in those days were not used to being challenged by anyone, especially not by 12 year old girls in confirmation class. Did you know that people really can turn purple? He was beyond anger, nearly insane, I thought his eyes might pop out of his head. He pointed a chubby little finger at me. 'Blasphemer! Heretic! Spawn of Satan!'

Daddy as the devil? What an interesting idea.

(I think he actually used those terms, but I can't be sure; it was over 40 years ago.)

'Get out!'

' GET OUT AND DON'T EVER COME BACK!!'

Mission accomplished.

Usually one of my brothers would pick me up, but since they wouldn't be there for some time, I took the bus home.

When I walked in Dad realised I was early. 'You didn't skip that church class today, did you?'

'No, not at all.'

He heard some expression in my voice. 'What are you up to?

'I told him the whole story, punctuated by an occasional 'You said WHAT?'

When I was done and he was trying to keep a straight face, he muttered something under his breath about Guru Gobind Singh Ji and reached out and touched my kara. 'That was the only compromise your mother would make with me about you and religion.'

'I have never understood why it was important to her what religion I was; she never cared about me.'

He promised he'd talk about that when I got older, which he did, with much difficulty. But that story belongs somewhere else.

'Well, I guess I need to talk to that priest. Let me go get dressed.'
    When he came back, he was in full bana, his best Punjabi gear complete with a red turban and a full-length, metre-long kirpan. I could just see him there, calm, rational, self-composed, a bit unconsciously menacing with Fr. Leblanc ready to have a heart attack-nervous breakdown.

When he came back, he informed me that Fr. Leblanc was extremely serious about my not returning. And that the good father had called both of us some names of which neither of us was sure the meaning, but they weren't meant as compliments. I did explain to him that he, never having been baptised was merely an infidel, but I was a heretic; he would be hung or something, while I was supposed to be burned alive. But this was the twentieth century, not the fifteenth, so the worst that would happen is that my French-Canadian relatives would disown me.

He almost skipped away and came back with a smallish box, which he handed to me. 'I have always prayed that one day I'd be able to give this to you.' I opened it and gasped.

Inside was a kara, a kirpan, a kanga, a pair of kechera and a red silk chunni.'[​IMG]You can use any or all or none; it's totally up to you.'

It's totally up to you. It's totally up to me. It's totally up to me. It's totally up to me. Suddenly, it sunk in that I was free, I didn't have to pretend or go along any more. In one very real sense, this was the beginning of my life.

I went to my apartment and built a fire in the fireplace. Then I took a long, long shower and washed my hair. My kesh. I could finally call it my kesh. I called Surinder, Al's wife to help me get dressed.

I took down the crucifix that my aunt had insisted I had to have by my bed and thew it into the fire. Remember my christening dress? That was next. There were a few other things, but those were the most important.

At Dad's insistence, the whole family (whoever happened to be in residence) always ate dinner together. When I appeared, not as a Canadian preteen, but as a young Punjabi lady, everyone was surprised. Before we ate, Dad made a little speech.

'All of you know that I promised our Princess' mother that I would raise her as a Christian. Before today, I didn't realise what an injustice I had done to my daughter. I was wrong to force her into a way of life that neither of us wanted or could believe in. I've been a regular Mughal. I should have broken that promise a long time ago and accepted whatever consequences there would have been. I shouldn't have waited for her to stand up to a ridiculous little priest. I was wrong. Mai, Princess, can you forgive me?'

That is very close to what he actually said. It was a moment that is indelibly burned into my memory.

I couldn't believe what he was saying or how serious he was. But I did appreciate that he realised he had been wrong and had said so.

I matched his solemnity. 'Of course.'

I paused. 'Am I a Sikh now?'

'You're the only one who can answer that. You know enough to make that choice. Do you believe in Christianity?'

'No, not even a little bit. Of course, I'm a Sikh, I always have been inside. Now I can be outside, too.'

'We do need to teach you a thing or two about religious tolerance, though.' He giggled.

Dad reached under a napkin. 'You might want this.' He handed me a small silk envelope with a key on a chain inside. I knew at once what it was. The key to Guru ji's sitting room. With people in and out constantly and kids all over the place, that door was kept locked, but each family member wore a key on a chain. Now I had mine, as well.

That pretty much tells that story। Everything that happened afterward was a result of this day.

Photo by Karamjeet Singh
    Used with permission

• Like Like x 14
  4. Mai Harinder Kaur

Mai Harinder Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer

I continue, now with the story of a lady named Mary, who wanted to be a Sikh. Her story is funny, tragic and very human. This combines two posts in Sometimes - 2 , Mary, and The Day Mary Became A Sikh.

A few months ago, some Jehovah's Witness ladies came to our door. I know most people don't like having the JW's come bother them, but I have always found them fascinating. They have such a deep, unquestioning belief and a total dedication to what they are doing that I can't help but have some respect for them. So I invited them in. When I told them that I am Sikh, they were ready. I would expect that since there are many Sikh families in this neighbourhood. They showed me an article about some Sikh guy who became a JW, and so his family was spared in the 84 'riots.' They also had 'before and after' pictures of this guy. It caused some pain in my heart to see the handsome, dignified Singh transformed into a very ordinary-looking Indian man. But I didn't say that. We chatted for a while, I turned down their offer of a free in-home Bible study, they left their magazines and then went on to the next house. And that was that.

Or so I thought.

A few days ago a knock came on our door. I answered it it to find one of the ladies standing there, looking very nervous. I invited her in, surprised at her obvious discomfort since they always seem so calm and sure of themselves. She started,'I'm sure you don't remember me, but'

I rudely interrupted her,'I remember you very well, you're one of the Jehovah's Witness ladies.'

Looking distressed, she breathed deeply. 'You're Sikh, right?'

'Yes.'

'What do I have to do to become Sikh?'

After picking myself up off the floor, having fainted, all I could get out was, 'Huh?'

'I've tried all my life to believe this that I've been taught, but I can't. It's just a bunch of garbage!'

Even I know enough about the JW's to know that this was totally unacceptable and she was really risking a great deal. They aren't even allowed to have friends from outside the fold, much less walk into an unbeliever's home spouting 'blaspheme.' But I could see that she was dead serious.'Do you know what you're doing?' I just had to ask.

Her voice became very firm and determined. 'I know exactly what I'm doing,' looking straight into my eyes.

Perhaps it is an unacknowledged British part of me, but I believe that most of the problems of the world can be solved over a cup of tea, decaffeinated, of course. So I made a pot and she told me her story.

She was raised a JW and had always been expected to follow that path. For all her life, she had done as she was told, getting baptised at the proper time, the door-to-door ministry, marrying a brother, being submissive to him , the whole thing. She said that she had been trying to believe all this and acting the role of the perfect JW for years and years and she just couldn't do it any more. For the past year, she had been sneaking off to the library, studying books and using the computers there to try to find something she could believe in. She had been impressed by the Sikh people she had met on her rounds, so she had been studying a lot of Sikhism.

'It's what I've believed in all along, but I didn't have a name for. I just don't know what I have to do to join.'
    -
    'Won't your family disown you?'

'I've already sent a letter to the elders at the Kingdom Hall, so my family looks on it as I've disowned them. I've disfellowshipped myself, so none of the brothers or sisters will talk to me or even act like they see me. It has been publicly announced. So even if they don't let me be a Sikh, I'm not a Jehovah's Witness any more.'

I didn't realise they practised shunning. 'What about your husband?' I stopped a moment. 'Children?'

'He hates me. Luckily, we don't have any kids.'

I have a practical streak in me. 'Are you staying with him still?'

'No, I've been staying at a hotel, but I need to find an apartment.'

A sudden thought came to me. 'Which hotel?'

She told me, and I laughed out loud. 'Do you know that a Mr. Singh own that motel?'

She didn't and kind of grinned at me. 'But he's not, uh, turbanised? I haven't seen anyone with a turban working there.'

Even so, she doesn't need a cold motel room at this time, which is so difficult for her. I offered her a place to stay until she finds a permanent apartment. Now we have two house-guests, Suni and Mary. We talked for several hours, and that doesn't need to all be recorded here.

She has a job where she makes enough to live on, thank God! But with no credit history, it may take her a while to find a place.

I have encouraged her to go to forums at several different Sikh websites and ask questions there. She is a little shy about that, but I have pointed out some questions others have asked and assured her that, as long as she's polite, no one is going to give her a bad time. 'But I'll sound so ignorant!'

'That's OK. You ARE ignorant about these things. And the cure for ignorance is knowledge.' ...

A couple of days later, she and Maman, my beloved mother-in-law from my first marriage, went for walk. A long, long walk, lasting several hours. When they returned hours later, Maman had transformed Mary into a Punjabi, or at least she looked like one. She was wearing a really beautiful purple and saffron salwar kameez, with a purple chunni that perfectly set off her pale complexion and blonde hair, which was now in a neat bun. And a kara. And a kirpan. And a kangha. And she had stopped cutting her hair and shaving some months before, so that would, I think, qualify as kesh. The kechera I'm not sure about, but knowing Maman, they were there, too. And Maman announced to Suni and me that we have a new sister.

So Maman was convinced not only of her sincerity, but also of her knowledge.

Obviously, a great deal had transpired during that walk. Maman decided that Mary needed to stay with her. So the two of them gathered Mary's things from our house and we saw neither of them for several days.

Then Maman called us all to get dressed and come to her. When we got there, she told us all to get in the car, that we needed to go to the gurdwara. So we got dressed and went. Here is something really strange to me: for all her studying, Mary had never been inside one before.

The granthi was expecting us and gave us all the grand tour. Other than the five of us , the building was empty. I stand corrected; there were six of us. And Mary was most impatient to greet that sixth 'person.'

I had wondered if she would be able to bow properly to Guruji. But doesn't she do everything perfectly? She did and when she stood up, she looked like a different person. It was as if all the tension and stress in her had melted away. She looked ten years younger. I, too, have experienced that moment of freedom when the past simply lost its meaning and a new life began.

For me to bow to properly matha tek is difficult since the left side of my body is paralysed. Luckily, my martial arts training taught me how to fall. It's not very graceful,but I do manage it. Getting back up is another story। I do need help for that. (How hard is that to admit.)

We all sat in silence for a time, which is my personal favourite thing to do in a gurdwara. After a time, Mary got up and approached the Guru and asked the granthi if they could take a hukam. Of course, he complied.

The results were warm and welcoming. We all stood there for a few moments and then Mary spoke quietly.

'Now what do I have to do to become a Sikh?'

I think we were all surprised at her question, but Maman answered, 'Dear, you've studied the Reht Maryada. Do you believe in Waheguru and the ten Gurus and the one in front of you? And the amrit? And we know you're not a follower of any other religion.'

'Of course, that's why I'm here. But isn't there some ceremony or something? Doesn't it need to be officially written down or something?'

'No, not really. I think it's more something to acknowledge and try to live. And you're already doing that.'

Suni chimed in, 'That's what the SRM says, but most of the Sangat won't really consider you a Sikh until you take Amrit.'

She continued, 'In any case, you do need to be introduced around, so people can know who you are and get used to seeing you. They'll be curious, of course, but they should be very friendly, I think.'

We all went together on Sunday. We are a strange-looking family, four women, four colours from Suni - the darkest - to Mary - the lightest, with Maman and me in between. Maman and Suni are both tall and slender, while I'm short and fat. Mary is in between. Maman, Suni and I had gone to a Kingdom Hall one Sunday to see what it was all about, and we warned Mary that the gurdwara was going to be a bit noisier and less decorous and a whole lot livelier. It was. People seemingly randomly wandering in and out, children running around, the kirtan definitely livelier than anything she was used to. Everyone wanted to meet her, of course, I thought the prashad was especially sweet that day.

Then the langar, also her first. I love the Indian foods with all the ingredients and complex spices. But I even more love the simple fare at this particular gurdwara. You can almost taste the love in every bite, not disguised or hidden by a lot of seasonings. Everything is always very fresh and the vegetables aren't overcooked, as Indian vegetables tend to be. And the company is warm and friendly. I know I'm being a bit Pollyana-ish, but it was that kind of experience. We could just set the world aside for a while and enjoy the magic of the moment.

On the way home, I finally got up the nerve to ask her, 'What exactly was it that made you have to leave everything you'd ever known to join what really is a very wonderful, but strange group?' I knew it wasn't the dogmas that had driven me out of the church, as Jehovah's Witnesses believe in neither trinity nor hell.

'He's so angry!! Jehovah God is just filled to overflowing with anger that we didn't turn out like what he wanted. I couldn't imagine that the true God would be given to temper tantrums. That was the first.

'And then I was supposed to be happy as a submissive wife through all eternity on a perfect earth. Neither the male chauvinism nor being stuck in one place, however perfect, forever made any sense to me. I know enough to know that Sikh men tend to be male supremacists, but as long as it's against the religion, there's hope and I can accept that.' She giggled. 'And they're awfully handsome.' (Note: The JW's forbid both long hair and beards on men.)

I tried to get Mary to write this post. Reading it, I can see it lacks the passion that she could convey. But she is too shy about her writing to let the public read it, so until she is more confident of her own writing skills, this is what you're left with.

Since writing that back in April, 2007, much has happened. Mary is now a Khalsa living with Maman in Amritsar. She has returned to this country (USA) only once, to finalise her divorce. Unfortunately, neither she nor Maman come online much, but we exchange snail mail and the occasional phone call.

• Like Like x 13
  5. Archived_Member16

Archived_Member16
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Waheguru Ji indeed works in mysterious ways to re-connect the Soul to the previous life source!

May you always enjoy Waheguru Ji's Divine Love & Blessings and may you be the personal 'pathway' to inspire / motivate other souls to follow through your life experience!

• Like Like x 4
  6. harsimiritkaur

harsimiritkaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Nobody becomes a Sikh after birth. Everyone in the world is born a Sikh. Sikh means student. Everyone does not act like a Sikh. Babies are born with curiousity to changes in their environment. They are open to learn new things. As we get older, we stop looking outside the box and formulate our own lifestyles and habit by copying others around us. We depend on the environment that stimulates our behaviour. If we study Guru Granth Sahib, then we become pure Sikhs. Get baptized in Sikhism is not what makes a person a Sikh. The amrit ceremony is the initiation into being a Sikh, it is not the majical push the plastic button instantly a Sikh formula. You can train a monkey to take the Amrit and wear a Sikh costume. Happy Halloween, but they still can steal and cheat and fight like the 5 vices controlling. There is little room for Guru gian. Monkeys chirp around, birds, too. Many people chant waheguru and they think they are pleasing Guru Ji. I can play a recording of it but that does not make the difference.

If we do not grasp Guru's instructions via Guru Granth Sahib, then acting like a Sikh in a Sikh costume is not enough. There are so many pseudo Sikh cults and fake Baba Ji Sants of Hindu origin wearing Amritdhari costumes, but the rape women and promote Brahmanism, not Sikhism. The RSS bribes them and people born of Sikh families to deceive so many Sikhs. They have made the rules of Sikhism so pathethically difficult that only stupid people want to become a Sikh or take the Amrit. Not a single one of them promotes study of Guru Granth Sahib. They also promote against the Rehat Maryada of Shromeni Committee, like many Akhanda Paath recitation in one room at the same time, akhanda paath jot, vegetarianism, moorti puja, extreme ritual cleanliness but the hearts are corrupt,no women being allow to recite akhanda paath, and teaching that women are dirty yet they give birth to the Gurus.

• Like Like x 12
  7. roopsidhu

roopsidhu
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

SSA,
    Yes Harsimrat kaur ji, these all problems ( kurhits ) exists and are a big setback to sikhi. A lot is supposed to be done and this types of threads and forums will greatly help to increase the number of real ( genuine sikhs. Let's keep up our efforts.
    Roopsidhu

• Like Like x 1
  8. JimRinX

JimRinX
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

All jios
    To much REALNESS in these comments to warrant anything other than a group 'Bravo'!
    Hypocracy runs deep! Narayanjot will scold me if I start to digress to far into my recent experiences.....byt being raised Roman Catholic, and taking shelter in the Buddha, has cost me dearly; due entirely to the Hypocracy of it all.
    Too bad that the Sikhi, in Harsimiritkaur jis opinion, suffers from it, too; as my view of Guru Nanaks Lovely Child is very positive!
    Sometimes (and this is one of them) it seems to me that Christian Zealots are making non-Christians feel ashamed of themselves for not adhereing to a beliefs that more in alignment with their own very narrow (supposedly 'orthodox') points of view; which is why I say Woman are NOT "Un-Clean"!
    Goodness! Is this the Modern Age - or do we all still believ in some kind of 'Original Sin' is responsible for Normal, Understandable, Physiological Functions?

• Like Like x 3
    #7 JimRinX, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  9. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

JimRinX, Fatehji!

No scolding today.. :happykaur:

• Like Like x 1
  10. hpannu

hpannu
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
    Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

Harsimrat Kaur Ji, I agree with you on your post except the Vegetarianism part.

• Like Like x 2
  11. harsimiritkaur

harsimiritkaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

The vegetarian part? Vegetarianism is good for the health. Too many people eat too much meat.

I am not imposing vegetarianism on people who chose to be Sikhs. I studied Raag Malaar pg 1289 and 1290. "Maas maas murkeh jhagla" People drink milk but do not eat eggs. Hindus forbid meat but allow milk because it comes from the mother cow goddess. Many so called Sikhs are imposing this custom to Sikhs that they cannot eat eggs but can drink milk. Then I guess we shouldn't eat fruit because we kill the produce or cause the plants pain. It is proven that vibrations and voice patterns, good or calming affect plant growth. Plant life is just as a vital part of the world as humans are. Sikhs respect all forms of life but refrain from Sanyasism to avoid extremisms.

Sikhs are not allowed to eat Halal, and if they have to eat meat, it should be jhatka. Everything is maas, we marry and join to maas, we are born maas, we die maas.

• Like Like x 2
  12. harsimiritkaur

harsimiritkaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Christianity had no intention to spread to emarass people into "Salvation", but like Guru Nanak, to educate people to facilitate important decisions on behavior and attitude via wisdom. Christianity is not supposed to be a ritual make God happy Salvation plan, but it is about God taking the first step to help people become happy healthy, and successful. Mundaveni M. 5 page 1426 je ko khave ke ko bhunche, the same message in Christianity.

Guru Granth Sahib is not interested in criticising Biblical Literature. The main theme in Gurbani is to prevent Brahamistic exploitation on blind faith followers that are lead away from funtioning proactively. People's person rituals are their own business, not to impose on others. Naam tero artee.

We should be ashamed of not understanding God, not ashamed about their weaknesses. God already knows our weaknesses. We should be ashamed of not learning how to help ourselves. Bin Gur Gian kehe na paya. Without Guru Gian we cannot acquire the benefits of creation. Christians preach "My people perish for lack of knowledge, bina, gian, wisdom, Guru Gian fits in great with this teaching.

• Like Like x 2
  13. JimRinX

JimRinX
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Harsimirit Kaur ji
    This is way off subject - but since Narayanjot ji doesn't mind.....
    I wish to say that i have the Utmost respect for the Example of How To Live - and what Goodness, Kindness, Compassion are - that was set by Jesus Christ; I even believe that the whole 'resurrection' belief - which has been manipulated into an excuse for many abuses (look into Papal "Indulgences" and Martin Luther, for example) - was actually an attempt, by Jesus, to teach reincarnation to his followers, by reincarnating himself into the same body after being murdered; as that would make it clear to his followers that, though it was the same 'him' in the same body on that particular occasion, it would also be the same him in a different body on other occasions.
    I could go on and on about the ways that I've treid to soothe the concerns and confusions of many different Christians in my life over the last eight years; but it has (almost!) all been for naught.
    This is why I both agree and disagree with your point of view.
    Christianity should not be used for the things you correctly point out that it should not be used for; but, unfortunately, it has been being used that way - and for quite some time - anyway.
    I'm thinking of burning books, cities - and PEOPLE at the stake - all 'in the Name of God'.
    This has become a personal issue for me - and may the Buddha understand my bitterness - but I've been made aware of the fact that, when my Mother died, in 1995, and she was, "No longer there to shield me," persons associated with the Cathoilc Church I was confirmed at, started a program that was intended to, "Prove to me that the Buddha is nothing - and that only Jesus saves."
    To this end (and I'm the guy who ranted at you on another thread, after you mentioned that some people have halucinations - and think there visions; as that almost sounded like you were quoting one of these arrogant devils!), I have been forced by these so-called Christians into a number of situations where I had to compromise my Principles - to dishonor myself - in order to survive; as I began to have serious Chronic Pain afflicting me, in about 1997 - and it's never going to go away.
    While I encourage you to continue to be as nice as possible to everyone - just as I try to do, even though I know they've done more than just hurt me on purpose (for my "own good" you see - that's what they said as they were tying the witchs to the stake, then starting the blaze, too) - including Christians; please don't let that Nice Pastor next door fool you - they almost all have harmful intentions towards non-Christians, as they believe things like, "There's no amount of PIAN that we can cause you that Hellfire won't hurt worse," and they, thus, have managed to convince themselves that doing my disabled self a LOT of harm is, again, "for my own good."
    I, you see, not only left the Church (I'm very amazed to hear Mai Harinder Kaur jis own story!), I have the NERVE to claim that, through the receipt of the Blessings of Enlightenment via communion with the Buddha and Aum, I THINK I KNOW MORE about God, Life, Death, and the Universe in General, than the Pope or Jimmy Swagart does!
    Therefore, my 'visions' were made to become 'halucinations' - complete with a pack of manufactured lies and alleged, but not formally charged with, 'drug crimes' to back up the defamantion of my experience and the general destruction of my Character; as they litterally think that I, by telling a Retarded Person that I'm NOT a Christian, that I was trying to, "Steal his Soul - for SATAN!"
    And, NO, I'm not trying to be funny - I've been the victim of some serious abuse of my Civil Rights; all "for my own good" of course!
    One of the Greatest Aspects of Sikhism - or Buddhism (even, if not abused, Islam) - are our True Respect for the 'other'; whereas many other Religions seek onlyu to destroy the other - usually with the aim of pretending Holy Authority to engage in Plunder.
    I'm hoping that, soon, I'll once again be able to manifest more positively - but I have a morass of unpleasant Civic-Legal Obligations to fulfill, first; as these people have done just what I've said - they've killed a Jewish and a Muslim person (one other, as well; two were black, as these are also racist Christians who did these things that Jesus definitely would NOT have done!), and I'm obliged to prove that I should become the Star Witness for the States Prosecution.
    I'm not looking forward to it- but it must be done.
    Pardon my 'bad vibes' - and please pray that I'm successful!

• Like Like x 1
  14. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Now let us return to the topic of "Can you tell me how to become a Sikh? :happykaur:

We can talk about inner changes as well as outer manifestations. Both are necessary. What does it mean to be dyed in the color of love?

This shabad is by Guru Ram Das, in sriRaag, on Ang 82.

ਮਨਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਨੁ ਕਰੇ ॥
    man har har japan karae ||
    O mind, chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har.

ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਭਜਿ ਪਉ ਜਿੰਦੂ ਸਭ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਦੁਖ ਪਰਹਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
    har gur saranaaee bhaj po jindhoo sabh kilavikh dhukh pareharae ||1|| rehaao ||
    Hurry to the Sanctuary of the Lord, the Guru, O my soul; all your sins shall be taken away. ||1||Pause||

ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਰਮਈਆ ਮਨਿ ਵਸੈ ਕਿਉ ਪਾਈਐ ਕਿਤੁ ਭਤਿ ॥
    ghatt ghatt rameeaa man vasai kio paaeeai kith bhath ||
    The All-pervading Lord dwells within each and every person's heart-how can He be obtained?

ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਭੇਟੀਐ ਹਰਿ ਆਇ ਵਸੈ ਮਨਿ ਚਿਤਿ ॥
    gur pooraa sathigur bhaetteeai har aae vasai man chith ||
    By meeting the Perfect Guru, the True Guru, the Lord comes to dwell within the conscious mind.

ਮੈ ਧਰ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਧਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੈ ਤੇ ਗਤਿ ਮਤਿ ॥
    mai dhhar naam adhhaar hai har naamai thae gath math ||
    The Naam is my Support and Sustenance. From the Lord's Name, I obtain salvation and understanding.

ਮੈ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਹੁ ਹੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੇ ਹੀ ਜਤਿ ਪਤਿ ॥
    mai har har naam visaahu hai har naamae hee jath path ||
    My faith is in the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. The Lord's Name is my status and honor.

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਤੜਾ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਤਿ ॥੫॥
    jan naanak naam dhhiaaeiaa rang ratharraa har rang rath ||5||
    Servant Nanak meditates on the Naam, the Name of the Lord; He is dyed in the deep crimson color of the Lord's Love. ||5||

• Like Like x 4
  15. harsimiritkaur

harsimiritkaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

:happykudi: JimRnx Ji,

It is not Christianity that has failed you, but the version of Christianity. The Bible and the Guru Granth Sahib stress the importance of associating with Godly people to help you, to support you, and to encourage you to walk closer to God- not to criticize you to the point of depression. People use Satan as an excuse for their own mistakes. In Judiasm, Satan is the egotistic evil incliniation or destructive spirit. In Sikhism, ferain shataniyan means again and again people are suckered into the 5 vices.

The only remedy is education, to hear the word of God. Not just a quote in a book, but the very information one needs to get out of his Hell.

Anybody can read scriptures, anybody can chant or do good works as if to bribe God's favor. God and Guru Ji are not looking for readers and reciters to please them. They are looking for people who are willing to grab the extended hand of God to help. No caste and no status matters. No number of good deeds matters. All it takes is willingness to have an open mind.

Keep reading your Bible. I also highly recommend you study it and also study Guru Granth Sahib to help you understand, like learning from 2 universities on the same science.

Sikhism is asking you to convert. It is asking all of us to convert from our mundane ways of sin to strive for God's free gift of love and life. The gift of Himself. God is Heaven. If anyone yearns for Heaven (selfish and self centered), he will end up in Hell. If he yearns for God, he will find Heaven.

Now look at page 707 in Guru Granth Sahib. I will explain it. I cannot join some of the Gurukhi letters in some words due to font problems on this website. Just pay attention the English
    (707)
    Shalok:

sÍrg lokh ijqqy ipRQvI nv KMfxh ]
    “They may live in heavenly realms, and conquer the nine regions of the world.”

This bani is written in the elite language of the pandits, Seheskriti.
    bsMiq
    also means Sprint season, time of growth, power, life, beauty, and hope. Guru Ji teaches with this bani in contrast to the Hindu understanding of reincarnation. People have achieved high things in live. They have gained much knowledge, exceeded over most others in skill, strength, fame, wealth, power, and beauty. This makes them happy as if they are in heaven. When they lose what they have achieved, then they lose their peace of mind, ending up in a hell like state. Dnu dwrw sMpiq sgl ijin ApunI kir mwin ] Your wealth, spouse, and all the possessions which you claim as your own ien mY kCu sMgI nhI nwnk swcI jwin ]5] (1426, slok, mhlw 9) none of these shall go along with you in the end. O Nanak, know this as true. ||5||

NINE WORLD REGIONS OF THE WORLD (
    nv KMfxh)
    1. Africa Region Life List
    2. Australasia Region Life List
    Eurasia Region Life List
    4. Pacific Ocean Region Life List
    5. North America Region Life List
    6. South America Region Life List
    7. South Polar Region Life List
    8. Atlantic/Arctic Ocean Region Life List
    9. Indian Ocean Region Life List

There are also 9 abdominopelvic regions of the human anatomy with their locations:

1. epigastric - located in the right upper quadrant
    2. right hypochondriac - located in the right upper quadrant
    3. umbilical - located centrally in the right/left quadrant
    4. right lumbar - located in right lower quadrant
    5. hypogastric located in right lower quadrant
    6. right iliac - located in right lower quadrant
    7. left hypochondriac - left upper quadranrt
    8. left lumbar - left lumbar - left lower quadrant
    9. left iliac - left lower quadrant

ibsrMq hir gopwlh nwnk qy pRwxI auidAwn Brmxh ]1]
    “but if they forget the Lord of the world, O Nanak, they are just wanderers in the wilderness. ||1||”

Living as a wanderer brings spontaneous pleasures and torment. When you wander, you become hot, then cold; hungry, then thirsty again; healthy, then ill again, hopeful, then doubtful again, happy, then angry again; and sure, then doubtful. There are only temporary sources of what one needs wandering, and the resources are extremely difficult to get. It requires knowledge, skill, courage, and patience. Harsher conditions of a wilderness do not promote much vegetation and water.
    ibAwpq hrK sog ibsQwr ] ibAwpq surg nrk Avqwr ]
    (182, gauVI guAwryrI, mhlw 5) “It torments us with the expression of pleasure and pain. It torments us through incarnations in heaven and hell.” Heaven is symbolic of when we are having pleasure. Hell is the opposite. Just watch anyone that goes through good times and then challenging times. His life is in cycles. The Hindu sees it as reincarnation, but the Gurmukh understands with Guru Granth Sahib that janam and maran are only expressions that the manmukh tries to explain about the constant vibrations of molecules and infinite particles of reality or the stability of God’s hukam (natural laws of the universe as they actually are and not depenent on how we see them.) To grasp this, one needs to study the Guru Granth Sahib banis. Guru Ji quotes the source of the Hindu belief in reincarnation used as an example to argue His cause. swsqR byd pwp puMn vIcwr ]The Shaastras and the Vedas speak of sin and virtue”; nrik surig iPir iPir Aauqwr ]2]they say that mortals are reincarnated into heaven and hell, over and over again. ||2||” pRB ikrpw qy mnu vis AwieAw ]By God's Grace, the mind is brought under control; Salvation is not accomlished by showy works or rituals.” nwnk gurmuiK qrI iqin mwieAw ]4] (385, Awsw, mhlw 5) “O Nanak, the Gurmukh crosses over the ocean of Maya. ||4||”

kauqk kof qmwisAw iciq n Awvsu nwau ]
    “In the midst of millions of games and entertainments, the Lord's Name does not come to their minds.”
    Infinite changes are given to each person to discover and embrace the Creator, but many fall short and only see and misinterpret everything in maya as their only Heaven reality. Then they distinguish between pain and pleasure which their minds interpret good or bad inaccurately. Pain and pleasure are not objects of their own and cannot exist without human or animal life. The brain and entire nervous system contains over 120 billion neuro-receptors chemically reacting to different stimuli, and the body receives these signals back and forth from parts of the body to the brain to inform us of change. The brain defines the stimuli and communicates to parts of the body how to react, to ignore or to react. We experience various stimuli in our social and physical environment changes inside and outside the body. We either calm down (parasympathethic nervous system taking over)and enjoy or flight or resist. We have the ability to ignore what bothers us. The brain can cut the pain. The fools are stuck in what they call heaven and hell. They are fooled by the illusions they have created themselves or been influenced like the blind leading the blind.
    ijau supnw Aru pyKnw AYsy jg kau jwin ] (1427-14, slok, mhlw 9)Like a dream and a show, so is this world, you must know.” Many claim to have divine insight, false Kachie bani preachers, but they are more blind than their listeners.

nwnk koVI nrk brwbry aujVu soeI Qwau ]2]
    “O Nanak, their home is like a wilderness, in the depths of hell. ||2||”
    nwrwiexu nh ismirE moihE suAwd ibkwr ] (297, iQqI gauVI, mhlw 5)He does not remember the Lord in meditation; he is fascinated by the pleasures of corruption.” nwnk nwim ibswirAY nrk surg Avqwr ]9]O Nanak, forgetting the Naam, he is reincarnated into heaven and hell. ||9||” JUT smgRI pyiK scu kir jwinAw ]Gazing upon the false objects, he believes them to be real.”

pauVI ] Pauree:

mhw BieAwn auidAwn ngr kir mwinAw ]
    “He sees the terrible, awful wilderness as a city.”
    The universe is compared to an enormous, infinitely detailed city easy to get lost in. Without a map how can any visitor get around? Guru Granth Sahib’s wisdom is our tour guide and navigator. With him the city is quite exquisite and wonderful. If you rely on your limited knowledge or have a bad tour guide, your visit will be Hell. Sometimes you have to ride through dark tunnels or high ridges, or take a detour through a place not so beautiful, to get to the other side of the city. These are not bad, because patience and the right direction make it worth the wait to get to your trip’s destiny.
    nw kCu poc mwtI ky BWfy nw kCu poc kuMBwrY ]2] (pRBwqI, kbIr jI)] (1349) “Nothing is wrong with the pot of clay – nothing is wrong with the Potter. ||2||” When things don’t happen the way we expect, we tend to judge the whole situation as bad, then we tend to blame God. When we reason faults in creation and faults in the natural laws of the universe, we tend to misjudge God. Our evidence is only based on our illusions, our misunderstandings of anything. We become lost in our perceptions which are blinded by our ignorance and five vices.

kwm k®oiD AhMkwir iPrih dyvwinAw ]
    “Engrossed in sexual desire, anger and egotism, he wanders around insane.” Gursikhs believe in conditioning the mind to focus on reality (sachiaya hoiyeh) in all aspects of life. Care is taken not to fall as suckers into the five thieves, of which the first two kam and krodh are the most difficult to strongest. nrk surg BRmqau Gxo sdw sMGwrY mIcu ] (297, iQqI gauVI, mhlw 5)They wander endlessly in heaven and hell, until death annihilates them.” surg bwsu n bwCIAY frIAY n nrik invwsu ]
    “Don't wish for a home in heaven, and don't be afraid to live in hell.” In other words, don’t be closed minded to the wills of God and only accept things in life that brings convenience and comfort. Even if you relax your whole life, your body will weaken. honw hY so hoeI hY mnih n kIjY Aws ]1] (337, gauVI pUrbI, kbIr jI) “Whatever will be will be, so don't get your hopes up in your mind. ||1||” Just as things change with the stable hukam of God, so should our willingness to adapt be ready. The most successful people in the world are those who constantly examined themselves and learnt to adapt and were ready to accept needed changes in their posture, self image, appearance, and tactics.

isir lgw jm fMfu qw pCuqwinAw ]
    “When the Messenger of Death hits him on the head with his club, then he regrets and
    repents.”
    We should not wait for the day of death to improve ourselves. Now is the day of salvation, not later. The earlier we start, the greater impact we will have on ourselves, family, and society. Since everything is like a dream and illusion, after death, if one has attached himself selfishly to maya, then he will be not be able to adjust the to changes in the next world where the very maya that he yearns is no use to him. He will not adjust either in this life or in the next realm of existence. Or, he will only get what he craved (the maya), when he could have had the Giver Himself which he rejected.

ibnu pUry gurdyv iPrY sYqwinAw ]9]
    “Without the Perfect, Divine Guru, he roams around like Satan. ||9||”
    hau ivic pwp puMn vIcwru ]
    In ego they reflect on virtue and sin. hau ivic nrik surig Avqwru ] (466, Awsw, mhlw 1) In ego they go to heaven or hell. This means egotistic fools even attempt to enter or experience Heaven, but don’t make it. kvnu nrku ikAw surgu ibcwrw sMqn doaU rwdy ] (969, rwmklI, kbIr jIau) What is hell, and what is heaven? The Saints reject them both. Heaven and Hell are only viewed as the spiritual condition of the soul. nrk surg Avqwrw ] People are incarnated in heaven and in hell.
    haumY AwvY jweI ]
    In egotism, they come and go. mnu itkxu n pwvY rweI ] The mind cannot hold still, even for an instant. bwJu gurU gubwrw ] Without the Guru, there is only pitch darkness. imil siqgur insqwrw ]2] (1003, mwrU, mhlw 5) Meeting with the True Guru, one is emancipated. ||2||

So what is heaven? Is it a physical place where pure souls enter after death? Awpy surgu mCu pieAwlw ] (1021, mwrU, mhlw 1) You Yourself are the heavenly realms, this world and the nether regions of the underworld. Arbd nrbd DuMDUkwrw ] For endless eons, there was only utter darkness. dojku iBsqu nhI KY kwlw ] (1035, mwrU, mhlw 1) There was no heaven or hell, no death or time. nrku surgu nhI jMmxu mrxw nw ko Awie n jwiedw ]3] (1035, mwrU, mhlw 1) There was no hell or heaven, no birth or death, no coming or going in reincarnation. ||3|| AibnwsI Aibgq Agocr sBu ikCu quJ hI hY lgw ]7] O imperishable, eternal, unfathomable Lord, everything is attached to You. ||7|| sRIrMg bYkuMT ky vwsI ] (1082, mwrU, mhlw 5) The Lover of greatness, who dwells in heaven. iBsqu njIik rwKu rhmwnw ]4]7]15] (1161, BYrau, mhlw 5) Keep me near You O Merciful Lord God - that is heaven for me. ||4||7||15|| jb lgu mn bYkuMT kI Aws ] As long as the mortal hopes for heaven, qb lgu nwhI crn invws ]2] he will not dwell at the Lord's Feet. ||2|| KweI kotu n prl pgwrw ] (1161, BYrau, mhlw 5) bYkuMT goibMd crn inq iDAwau ] To meditate on the Lotus Feet of the Lord of the Universe is heaven for me. mukiq pdwrQu swDU sMgiq AMimRqu hir kw nwau ]1] rhwau ] (1220, swrg, mhlw 5) In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, is the treasure of liberation and the Lord's Ambrosial Name. ||1||Pause|| Because the company of those who hunger for God encourage and inspire each other to remain on that path of Heaven. kbIr surg nrk qy mY rihE siqgur ky prswid ] (1370, slok, kbIr jIau) Kabeer, I have been spared from heaven and hell, by the Grace of the True Guru.

In conclusion, Heaven and Hell are the conditions of our body, mind, and soul. People try many extreme tactics to attain Heaven, salvation, peace of mind, success. Heaven is not something you earn through egotistic “showoffy” acts of kindness, ritual prayer, urge of the greedy soul for convenience. If you want Heaven, you have to have a just cause for wanting it. If you only urge for heaven for selfish gain, you will never get it and remain stuck in the returning cycles of disappointment.

The only way to reach Heaven is to yearn for God. jo bIjY so augvY KWdw jwxY jIau ] (1243, swrMg, mhlw 1) Whatever is planted, shall grow. The soul eats the fruits of its actions, and understands. You must learn understand what God is and how to react to His gracious free invitation and accept it, and live by it. This is why it is urgent for the whole human race to study the Guru Granth Sahib teaches. We should not be so superficial with God, our great Giver. If we only come to Him for a gift, that is not enough. Soon we will crave more and more of His gifts. If a person gives you a gift and you only exploit them, then you do not truly respect the giver. What is God’s gift? His gift is eternal. Creation forms are only a loan for us that changes in molecular form from seen to invisible, like birth and death. Things fade away in time.

God’s hukam is eternal that causes everything to come and go. Akal Purekh Himself is unchanging and infinite. God’s Gift is Himself- the delight in the radiance of the divine presence of God.

In conclusion, God truly intended for everyone to get to know Him on an intimate basis. Because of our ignorance and falsehood of our 5 vices, we tend to turn away as if to say we have no interest in the diving Heavenly experience of our Creator, true Father and companion, provider, protector, and healer. Christianity teaches “how can say he enjoys such sublime ecstacy of Heaven and not be willing to share how to get this with others?” I cannot understand why we do not have empathy for others to care enough to introduce Guru Ji to those already suffering Hell on earth. Why can’t we also offer the free information of Guru Gian to promote Guru Nanak’s goal of reaching those who are hungry for God but do not know how to find it. We should have our own Guru Granth Sahib study programs in the homes or in the Gurdwara Sahib, just like the Christians do with their Bible. It is not enough just to read paath, meditate, and listen to kirtan and sewa. We need to study Gurbani, act, and promote so as not to be selfishly living comfortably in our closed environment. We can accomplish promotion of Guru’s Khushkhabri Gospel, without being forceful to promote humanity and spirituality to all races. We need to develop creative methods to do this, to get the attention of the lost to hear what Guru Ji has to offer- risk free. There is no need for deception, false advertising, or imposing on anyone. It should be a natural gentle, loving action on our part by the Grace of God to extend a hand for those that are lost in their own self made Hell. We should also try to help the very people we come in contact with, especially those with special needs, not just “save the soul” and ignore the rest of their composition.

Since Guru Granth Sahib is so special to us Sikhs, why are we not studying and promoting the golden wisdom Guru Ji provides to all free of cost, regardless of one’s background? Instead, many of our own kind are too busy fighting for a position as a committee member, craving power over others for recognition and attention, or just craving more of the money collected in Guru Ji’s name. If we claim to have the true Word of God, why are so many of us lost, without tasting the meaning of the Gurbani that we daily recite? Instead of only doing sewa, paath reading, and meditation, we also should incorporate sharing traits in our walk with Guru Ji and accept the task that Guru Ji started, and many martyrs sacrificed their lives for-for the right for all to hear about God’s greatness, glory, and grace. What a blessed Heritage we have from Guru Ji, yet we do little about it. iPrY sYqwinAw We don’t have to roam around like Satan over and over again. We can roam around inspiring others. We can decide to be Satan or a Gurmukh. This decision will promote Heaven or Hell for ourselves and others are effected too.

My goal with Guru Granth Parchar Mission is to reach as many people as possible to promote the study of Guru Granth Sahib so they can have access to this jewel wisdom so they will be able to can decide for themselves whether or not they want to apply it to their lives to watch Akal Purekh help them work out their own Heaven and remain there. If your burden for this to happen agrees with our Parchar Mission, please contact us.

• Like Like x 3
    #14 harsimiritkaur, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
  16. JimRinX

JimRinX
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Harsimirit Kaur ji
    Thank you for being concerned enough with my peace, happiness, and spiritual prospects to have made such a lengthy reply!
    I could not agree more with what you - or Guru Nanak - have to say, or have said; as I share these beliefs deeply and in every way.
    You perceive my distress - but please know that the cause of it is not a spiritual vacuum, or a lack of understanding; it is the Evil Things that were done to a Mentally Ill Woman I knew who committed suicide, because some Evil Racist (the Ku Klux Klan White Supremacist kind) pushed her into doing things that led to her suicide - and they, or course, don't care.
    This is a matter for teh Courts - and I've been lagging behind on my self-set schedule of litigatory goals, and so I'm a bit miffed and disappointed in myself for not getting on top - and staying on top - of things.
    Again, I digress - but I just wanted you to know, as I've actually become disabled, had to spend a great deal of money I'd accumulated in order to qualify for an SSD Pension, and then lost most everything I own to the aforementioned Bad Guys coniving.
    My Point?
    Other than my being miffed at myself, as I mentioned, I'm still very, very HAPPY!!!:happymunda:
    BTW: I've been a Buddhist since I was 17 (I'm 45), though I hang around with a Mennonite Pastor with whom I've had many interesting Theological and Philosophical discussions! I've also been reading many 'other' Holy Books - like the Avesta, and the (Mandaean - or Sabataean) Ginza.
    All things are Transient - but that doesn't release me from my Civic Obligations, or the guilt I'm stricken with when I drag my feet too long!
    And your Right! Sikhism does want me! And I want Sikhism! But then I was so inspired after reading 'An Introduction to Sikhism' that I joined SPN!
    Please don't fret over me - fret over the murder victims fate, and pray that I suceed in punnishing them properly; then I'll have 'closure' and be back to my old 'positive vibe only' self once more - for I have be blessed to have "walked, though I had no feet; seen, though I had no eyes; heard, though I had no ears......."!

• Like Like x 2
  17. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Admin note:

Dear harisimirtkaur ji and others who are having a problem with fonts.

I can see from the line "
    slok ] (707)Shalok:ffice[​IMG]ffice" />" that you have copied gurbanee from another source to a Word document not to lose your writing. Then you copied that text to the forum page. The fonts are not showing properly, most likely because your original source for the Gurmukhi text is using a font that is not compatible with the fonts supported by our server. That causes the letters to shift to a Romanized transliteration. Even if you have, or download, all the fonts that we use on your computer this problem will not correct itself.

I recommend that you use a source like Search Gurbani: Gurbani Research Website that has unicode fonts. These transfer to most web sites. And the fonts will be preserved even when you do copy to a word document. ;)

You can also download fonts from our font library,
    and see if that will help.
    http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/annou...d-gurumukhi-fonts-and-installation-guide.html

Examples of fonts supported at SPN

Sat Nam WebAkhar Thick
    Sat Nam Gurbaniwebthick
    Sat Nam Gurbani Lipi
    Sat Nam Ammo Lipi

18. JimRinX

JimRinX
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Harsimirit Kaur ji
    You might have guessed that I'm being 'tardy' whenever I get on SPN - as I really should be working on my Legal Briefs, before a certain Asst. DA, and staunch anti-racist ally of mine loses all patience with me! - but I've just re-read your post (honestly, I could only skim over it it the first time!), and you've evoked, inme, so much more to say!
    First, I would like to mention that I've lived my entire life with pain, and, while I've only had access to pain opiate medication for the last ten years (well, I have always used a certain Good Herb!), I've been able to focus on my pains and litterally 'push' them away since I was a child; which I now attribute to my having achieved a state of enlightenment in a past life, and to my being born - into a non-Dharma Practicing familly - as a sort of 'test' of whether or not the Gift 'stuck' or not; whether or not it would, without 'refresher' teaching, from a Master, in this current life. I should study these teachings that you've mentioned more closely - but I've always felt that it would be disrespectful, to Aum, for me to pursue knowledge that I believe IT provided to me long ago; as Aum has given me a chance to use this gift - as well as the gift of writing (I've always been a 4.0 English Student) - to create my own writings that will (hopefully) contain some truly 'original' ways of expressing these shared points of view.
    God caused a white streak to appear in my hair, you see - after I sought, and found, Him, in meditation. And I'm a very scientifically minded person - so it was necessary to assure me that HE had really communed with me; had not a Physical Manifestation, in the form of that white streak, appeared in my hair like that, I would have probably thought that the whole experience was some kind of a lucid dream - or a halucination!
    As far as Hinduism and reincarnation are concerned - I think that Hinduism probably had it right, at first; but, then, some hapless priest told the wrong Nobleman that HE was going to come back as a jackass, and - Whamo! - he got the Hot Plate, and Hinduism got Previous-Caste-Dependant Reincarnations!
    You know what, Harsimirit ji? I think you know my step-sister - don't you? They're concerned Christians who do not understand why I did some of the things that I've done; as they failed to listen to me, when I warned them that the Bad Guys I've mentioned (who my Real Mom and I started a very righteous fight with!) were afoot; and they wonder how I could claim to have achieved some sort of enlightenment - and have done some of the things that I did to try and trip these Bad Guys up.
    It just doesn't add up, to many people; they fail to take into account the fact that I was tipped off about the trouble brewing, that I acted accordingly, and that I'm actually ashamed of THEM for not listening to me - as people have very really been killed by my Ku Klux Klan enemies; some of whom are Police Officers!
    They heard about the white streak through some Catholic jerk who I fired; and they want to Save Me.
    I wish that, like you, they saw that no amount of Good Deed - no amount of struggle to fight evil - can assure one of achieving whatever correct/or false views of Heaven that they might have; as their actions are, most often, self defeating (the 'good' karma is overwhelmed by the 'bad' karma - often through their oh-so wrongly mindful Prides prodings!); as well as that there is often Hell to pay on the Way to Heaven.
    I, of course, have an anything BUT simplistic view of 'Heaven' - I know that it's not a 'Garden', there are no 'Virgins' or 'Banquets'; I know that it's a state of being - one that can achieved only through Understanding; through the following of the Eightfold Path - which I 'pave' with bricks of Tao, Aristotle, Payne, and (lately) the Guru Granth Sahib.
    Read some of my other posts, I go into more detail, there (some would say I 'brag' - but I simply would not dare to tell you about the white streak, and how I got it, and then sound like it was anything other than the Greatest Gift I could ever have hoped to recieve!)
    More thoughts coming later! Wish me luck - for no matter what our views, Civic Obligations are just that; Obligations! Oh but that I COULD 'Let Go and Let God'!!!
    I would, as we say, "suck" if I did that!

19. amardeepsingh629

amardeepsingh629
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

20. babyaly88

babyaly88
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

ma'am if i may ask kindly.... i do not know the first thing about becoming a sikh. would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

I had the same conflict that you did. I baptised myself catholic in high school because a number of events I felt pointed to me being one. but after moving away from home I got a job in a nursing home and it became clear to me that I had no connection to the Catholic religion at all. After being extremely unhappy in relationships I met a guy that worked at the 711 on my way to work one day. I asked him about his turban and he informed me of Sikhism which I had never heard of in my life. I did some research and hung out with him more and he enlightened me on the religion. I feel that it connects more to me than anything i've discovered.

if you could please give me a little advice it would be greatly appreciated

thank you very much.
    Alicia

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mai Harinder Kaur

Mai Harinder Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer

Hi, babyali88 ji!

I see this is your first post and I don't think there is a more important question.

I'll start at the beginning. What is a Sikh. According to the Sihkl Rehat Maryada, sort of the official rule book accepted by most Sikhs:

Article I
    Any human being who faithfully believes in
    i. One Immortal Being,
    ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,
    iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,
    iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and [/quote]

As you see, there is no ceremony and not actually doing anything in this definition. It is all "faithful belief" and, at the very end, "not [owing] allegiance to any other faith." This presupposes that the individual knows something of the 10 human Gurus and has studied at least a bit of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, the eleventh Guru.

In practice, of course, there is much more to it. It really is necessary to be a part of the sangat, the community. Visit your local gurudwara, if there is one in your area. Perhaps your friend, if you are still in contact would take you.

I think it would be fruitful to start keeping at least two of the 5 outward symbols of the Sikh, the kesh (unshorn hair) and the kara (a steel sort of wristband), Unshorn hair, kesh, means all the hair of the body, from head to toe. Of course, not all Sikhs keep kesh, but I think it would be hard to feel accepted if you didn't.

I could go on and on and on...

Perhaps one of our members not from a Sikh family would continue from here.

• Like Like x 1
    #20 Mai Harinder Kaur, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011