• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Can Sikhs Worship Bhagwan Sri Krishna?

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
I was chatting with a friend and they said its okay because Sri Guru Granth Sahib says:
ਮਃ ੨ ॥
मः २ ॥
Mėhlā 2.
Second Mehl:

ਏਕ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨੰ ਸਰਬ ਦੇਵਾ ਦੇਵ ਦੇਵਾ ਤ ਆਤਮਾ ॥
एक क्रिसनं सरब देवा देव देवा त आतमा ॥
Ėk krisanʼn sarab ḏevā ḏev ḏevā ṯa āṯmā.
The One Lord Krishna is the Divine Lord of all; He is the Divinity of the individual soul.

ਆਤਮਾ ਬਾਸੁਦੇਵਸ੍ਯ੍ਯਿ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਜਾਣੈ ਭੇਉ ॥
आतमा बासुदेवस्यि जे को जाणै भेउ ॥
Āṯmā bāsḏevsi▫y je ko jāṇai bẖe▫o.
One who understands the mystery of all-pervading Lord;

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਦਾਸੁ ਹੈ ਸੋਈ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਦੇਉ ॥੪॥
नानकु ता का दासु है सोई निरंजन देउ ॥४॥
Nānak ṯā kā ḏās hai so▫ī niranjan ḏe▫o. ||4||
Nanak is a slave to him; he himself is the Immaculate Divine Lord. ||4||

:tablakudi:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Ang 727

ਤਿਲੰਗ ਬਾਣੀ ਭਗਤਾ ਕੀ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀ
Ŧilang baṇī bẖagṯā kī Kabīr jī
Tilang, The Word Of Devotee Kabeer Jee:
ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:
ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਇਫਤਰਾ ਭਾਈ ਦਿਲ ਕਾ ਫਿਕਰੁ ਜਾਇ
Beḏ kaṯeb ifṯarā bẖā▫ī ḏil kā fikar na jā▫e.
The Vedas and the Scriptures are only make-believe, O Siblings of Destiny; they do not relieve the anxiety of the heart.
ਟੁਕੁ ਦਮੁ ਕਰਾਰੀ ਜਉ ਕਰਹੁ ਹਾਜਿਰ ਹਜੂਰਿ ਖੁਦਾਇ ॥੧॥
Tuk ḏam karārī ja▫o karahu hājir hajūr kẖuḏā▫e. ||1||
If you will only center yourself on the Lord, even for just a breath, then you shall see the Lord face-to-face, present before you. ||1||
ਬੰਦੇ ਖੋਜੁ ਦਿਲ ਹਰ ਰੋਜ ਨਾ ਫਿਰੁ ਪਰੇਸਾਨੀ ਮਾਹਿ
Banḏe kẖoj ḏil har roj nā fir paresānī māhi.
O human being, search your own heart every day, and do not wander around in confusion.
ਇਹ ਜੁ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਸਿਹਰੁ ਮੇਲਾ ਦਸਤਗੀਰੀ ਨਾਹਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Ih jo ḏunī▫ā sihar melā ḏasaṯgīrī nāhi. ||1|| rahā▫o.
This world is just a magic-show; no one will be holding your hand. ||1||Pause||
ਦਰੋਗੁ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਖੁਸੀ ਹੋਇ ਬੇਖਬਰ ਬਾਦੁ ਬਕਾਹਿ
Ḏarog paṛ paṛ kẖusī ho▫e bekẖabar bāḏ bakāhi.
Reading and studying falsehood, people are happy; in their ignorance, they speak nonsense.
ਹਕੁ ਸਚੁ ਖਾਲਕੁ ਖਲਕ ਮਿਆਨੇ ਸਿਆਮ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਨਾਹਿ ॥੨॥
Hak sacẖ kẖālak kẖalak mi▫āne si▫ām mūraṯ nāhi. ||2||
The True Creator Lord is diffused into His creation; He is not just the dark-skinned Krishna of legends. ||2||
ਅਸਮਾਨ *ਿਮ੍ਯ੍ਯਾਨੇ ਲਹੰਗ ਦਰੀਆ ਗੁਸਲ ਕਰਦਨ ਬੂਦ
Asmān mi▫yāne lahang ḏarī▫ā gusal karḏan būḏ.
Through the Tenth Gate, the stream of nectar flows; take your bath in this.
ਕਰਿ ਫਕਰੁ ਦਾਇਮ ਲਾਇ ਚਸਮੇ ਜਹ ਤਹਾ ਮਉਜੂਦੁ ॥੩॥
Kar fakar ḏā▫im lā▫e cẖasme jah ṯahā ma▫ujūḏ. ||3||
Serve the Lord forever; use your eyes, and see Him ever-present everywhere. ||3||
ਅਲਾਹ ਪਾਕੰ ਪਾਕ ਹੈ ਸਕ ਕਰਉ ਜੇ ਦੂਸਰ ਹੋਇ
Alāh pākaʼn pāk hai sak kara▫o je ḏūsar ho▫e.
The Lord is the purest of the pure; only through doubt could there be another.
ਕਬੀਰ ਕਰਮੁ ਕਰੀਮ ਕਾ ਉਹੁ ਕਰੈ ਜਾਨੈ ਸੋਇ ॥੪॥੧॥
Kabīr karam karīm kā uho karai jānai so▫e. ||4||1||
O Kabeer, mercy flows from the Merciful Lord; He alone knows who acts. ||4||1||

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Bhai Manmohan Singh Ji has an alternative translation...

ਮਃ

Mėhlā 2.

2nd Guru.

ਏਕ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨੰ ਸਰਬ ਦੇਵਾ ਦੇਵ ਦੇਵਾ ਆਤਮਾ

Ėk krisanʼn sarab ḏevā ḏev ḏevā ṯa āṯmā.

The One Lord is the God of all gods and he is the soul of their godliness.

ਆਤਮਾ ਬਾਸੁਦੇਵਸ੍ਯ੍ਯਿ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਜਾਣੈ ਭੇਉ

Āṯmā bāsḏevsi▫y je ko jāṇai bẖe▫o.

If any one knows the mystery of the soul and the Omnipresent Lord,

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਦਾਸੁ ਹੈ ਸੋਈ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਦੇਉ ॥੪॥

Nānak ṯā kā ḏās hai so▫ī niranjan ḏe▫o. ||4||

of him Nanak, is a slave as he himself is the Pure Lord.

This is a snippet from ang 469, too, by the way.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
My understanding is that in teachings from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, there is quite a bit of guidance.

The key aspect is to develop enlightenment and seek/practice the same through actions and activities (see Harry Haller's post above).

Per se "worship" or "blind faith" does not have much (if any) place in teachings of our Guru ji's and others through Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

If you take a more liberal and loose view of worship as in,

• being in awe of say all of creation and worship the experience of such
  • being an expression of respect but not blindly so (but based on understanding of what it is!)
  • being in love with certain aspects of understanding of all around and be so enchanted (see Ishna ji's post with George Harrison song as an example)
    • Note the words/names (Krishna, Rama as it is symbolic) have little value in the song, the essence expressed does
    • Of course this song led to the exploitative Hare Krishna movement with much emphasis on,
      • shaven heads, bodis (braided or streak of hair on top of head)
      • vegetarian kitchens, so called free, where there was expectation of donation, and so on)
      • Marketing of media, retreats and so on
I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
harry haller;186288 how exactly would one worship Bhagwan Sri Krishna? What does it involve? could you clarify please how exactly this worship takes place, and what one needs to do?

many thanks

Harry ji,

Guru Fateh.

It is easy. If you can only find your black book of Gopis from your "other lives".:)

Mine was left in Brazil.

Tejwant Singh

sikh15

SPNer
Jun 18, 2013
United States
From my limited understanding, the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji's verses draw upon ideas, words, concepts, etc. that were prevalent during the times of the human Guru's. So these things would be mostly, if not exclusively, from the Hindu and Muslim religions. I would take a guess that that was so that people could understand the words of the Guru better by having a basis for understanding the words of Gurbani with concepts already in existence.

However, to think that the Gurbani condones the worship of anything other than the one True God of all faiths...That is a misinterpretation of the Gurbani and a misunderstanding of Sikhi in general.

Yes, it is true that some sampradayas of Vaishnavam do view Sri Krishna as the Supreme Godhead. Others view him as an avatar of Sri Vishnu. But Krishna has nothing to do with Sikhi, nor does any other Hindu god/dess.

Please, do correct me on anything I am incorrect about. My last paragraph just sort of trailed off somewhat because I came to a block in my thinking. I do apologize for that. And, please note that I am not bashing Hinduism or Islam or Sri Krishna or any other Hindu deity. I'm just trying to help the OP in my limited context and also get my gears to going in my brain as I learn and apply Sikhi.

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
Just My views
He The SUPREME LORD is not born but Krishna was born to a women named Devaki.
He the SUPREME LORD never dies but Krishna died too and there are many stories describing how he died.One such story is that he had too pay off his last birth karma's eventually which led to his painful death as described by various scholars.So eventually he too couldn't escape death and had to die.

I try reading sometimes randomly from bhagvat geeta which is said to be the teachings of Sri Krishan and must admit there are many good things written in it and following them one can improve his/her life in his/her way.Yes he can be considered gurus by some people for his beautiful teachings in bhagvat geeta but comparing him and calling him SUPREME GOD himself is somewhat diminishing the status of Krishan.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It continually floors me when the question of worshiping Sri Krishna or any deity comes up, especially when the question is posed by a member who is not new to the forum and has participated in discussions at SPN for a period of time.

If the question came from someone completely new to this forum I would not be so puzzled.

The answer is NO. Pure and simple. It is NOT OK for Sikhs to worship Sri Krishan. Is is NOT OK for Sikhs to worship idols and I am not sure how anyone would worship Sri Krishan at all except by worshiping his idol. When the avatar of Krishan is named as "Bhagwan" then the reference is not to the all-pervading wisdom of the Brahman but to an avatar or physical representation and that is NOT OK for Sikhs to worship.

The real puzzle here is why 3 tuks from a shabad are even taken to heart. I am not going to do the homework. Read the entire shabad and figure out that a group who does worship (followers of the vedas) is being addressed by none other than Kabir ji. Then they are being told - Do that, choose to worship Krishan if you will, but do also understand that there is something greater that is all pervading that claims our devotion. The message is to sangat -- there is a more fundamental way than worship of Krishan to find our divine center. This point is completely understood in the Bani of the Hindu bhagats who were included by Guru Arjan Dev in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Thanks btw to Sikh15 for giving the context in history and in devotional meaning.

When are we going to post an entire shabad, and then put tuks into context, as a matter of personal discipline? The thread's question truly borders on trolling.

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sikhi is such a simple pragmatic way of life. It does not get into myths, mythological deities, mechanical rituals, parroting some mantras, pilgrimages, dips in holy waters, idol worshipping, derawalas, sants, charlatans. One could go on and on.

All it requires from us is Truthful Living in all aspects.

It is that simple.

Why reinvent a wheel without spokes!

It will break under its own weight.

Tejwant Singh

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
Sikhi is such a simple pragmatic way of life. It does not get into myths, mythological deities, mechanical rituals, parroting some mantras, pilgrimages, dips in holy waters, idol worshipping, derawalas, sants, charlatans. One could go on and on.

All it requires from us is Truthful Living in all aspects.

It is that simple.

Why reinvent a wheel without spokes!

It will break under its own weight.

Tejwant Singh
I have seen many sants in our Sikh religion, like the popular Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale.
&& also doesn't the Amrit Sarovar have holy water?
I have also seen worship of weapons in Hazur Sahib I believe.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
KRISHANG? It doesn't even have a g in it, it clearly says Sri Krishna as in the one and only.

Really a night of point-counterpoint truly drains one of energy. Thus, I will write more later.

For now -- if we look at the verses in your original post as the thread start-up, and then look at what you have just posted as quoted, they do not match. Those verses in post #1 do not say "Sri Krishna as the one and only." So go back and re-read what you wrote. I do presume you do not want me to draw the conclusion that you started this thread to troll and get us all twisted up in our knickers. Thanks.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
If someone would point out to me where Krishan is mispelled as Krishang I will gladly correct it. Sometimes a typo here and there throws a reader here or there for a loop.

I found the post thanks to Gyani ji's reply. It was not a typo but a grammatically correct form. Thanks Gyani ji.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM