• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Can One Convert To Sikhism?

Neemai108

SPNer
Sep 10, 2006
Tustin, CA
Hii Hannah!

Yes Sikh weddings are wonderful! I love them! Its very beautiful. I like it especially because its much shorter than a hindu weddings (which I find utmost boring :p and nonsensical at some points). My cousin had both weddings. I dont know, it was a a long while ago, so I dont really remember, I was still a kid at the time. But in any case it was my first real sikh experience.

Im glad the link came in handy, im sure there are other websites that have varied translations of the Adi Granth. But if you were to go for a hardcover, try and find one at a good price, I had to pay handsomely for mine. But in anycase, I feel its worth it because the words of the Guru are priceless.

Regarding how I pray and worship. I usually try and find transliterations (not translations) of the script from Gurmukhi to Roman so I can read it aloud. I cannot read Gurmukhi script (heck I cant even read devanagari [hindi]). I found a transliterated form of the Jaapji which I try and read. Regarding Shabads and such, I know some of them by heart and I sing them, but at this point I mostly listen to them. My favorite is found in Raag Malhaar, fifth mahalla, by Guru Arjan Dev, it goes as such "Hey Gobind, Hey Gopal". It is my favorite, and I know the whole thing by heart, and I sing that always. For the most part I do naam simran (remembering the name) with my mala(108 beads or rosary) or just in my mind either Eg Onkar Satnaam Sri Waheguru, or the holy name of Rama.

Honestly I still have some hindu influence in my since I was raised as one. For hindus, the worship of God comes in stages. Im sure its quite similar in the Sikh faith as well. It goes: Shravanam, Kirtanam, Smaranam, Vandanam, and Pad Sevanam. Shravanam to hear about God or his names, Kirtanam means to chant or sing his names or glories, Smaranam means to remember his names or glories, Vandanam means to worship him, and Pad Sevanam means to serve his lotus feet. For hindus the last one is usually physically actually worshipping the feet of the idol, which i dont find necessary, afterall there is nothing better than worshipping his name, for me atleast. So at this point, im at the Shravanam stage of simply listening, mainly because im not fluent in pronouncing punjabi, though i can understand it pretty well since its quite similar to hindi. But I think when i can freely pronounce the words, ill be able to sing more often. So I either sing Hey Gobind Hey Gopal or I do Naam Simran or something of that sort. Atleast for now. I hope i progress slowly :).

I read the Hukumnamas time to time, especially when I feel in doubt, or somethings bothering me, or I have a question for God, I turn to Guruji. Like I think I had mentioned before, once I was very troubled and full of doubt, but when I went to the Gurudwara, my answer was answered in the Hukumnama. I truely believe the Hukumnama is the word of the Guru live and it is there to clear out thoughts, doubts, and give us instruction. Hence I truely believe in it. I think its amazing that the Gurus Speak through the Granthji. Even at times when I dont know what to do, i randomly turn to a page in the Granthji and look up a verse to find peace. Im going to Sri Darbaar Sahib (Harmandir Golden Temple) this November for the first time, and I cant wait. Im so excited. I think it will be an amazing experience, I simply cannot wait. I hope that I can wake up before sunrise and see the procession of the Granth Ji from the Akal Thakt to Harmandir Sahib in the morning. I really hope to witness that, Ive read much about it and hear its amazing. Ill be sure to take plenty of pictures, maybe ill share them with you when I come back. Im visiting other historical gurudwaras as well, like Anandpur Sahib, birthplace of the Khalsa.

Do you have a kara (steel bangle)? If you cant find one where you are, maybe I can bring you back one from Amritsar or somewhere in India. Id be more than happy to. I hope it would add motivation and faith in God. My kara reminds me of him constantly, and I never remove it.

I wish you well on your spiritual quest.

suren

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida
Hello Suren Ji!

Oh, I will certainly invest in a GSS Ji as soon as I can, I should probably try to get a job anyway! haha

I also favor the transliterations, but I also recently started to read the translations more so that I know exactly what I'm saying when I say it. I should start to memorize the prayers' meaning and then read out the transliterations. It would make me feel closer to God praying in Punjabi.

Oh you are soooo lucky! What I would give to go to India, and the Golden Temple!! I could cry just thinking about it. I hear Amritsar is so beautiful a city. I have the Golden Temple as my desktop picture right now.

I have been meaning to get a kara! You would get one for me? That is so nice! Are they expensive? If so, then I'll find a way to get one on my own. I don't want you to go out of your way on your trip!

Have an enlightened day...or night...ph geez I should go to sleep! Night!

Hannah

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Friends ,

If you dont mind me adding here some more resources for your need.

FOR SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB FULL IN PDF FORMAT FILE ( DOWNLOADABLE)

http://www.gurbanifiles.org/translations/Gurmukhi%20to%20English%20translation%20&%20transliterat%20of%20SGGS,%20SBS.pdf

( INSTRUCTIONS: Right Click on this link above and choose save target as )

FOR NITNEM BANIS ( BANIS READ DAILY ) IN PDF FORMAT FILE ( DOWNLOADABLE)

http://www.gurbanifiles.org/translations/Nitnem%20by%20Dr.%20Kulwant%20Singh,%20with%20Punjabi%20&%20Eng%20transla%20&%20PT.pdf

( INSTRUCTIONS: Right Click on this link above and choose save target as )

FOR ONLINE SRIGURU GRANTH SAHIB WITH MORE THAN ONE TRANSLATION IN ENGLISH AND PUNJABI

http://www.srigranth.org

( INSTRUCTIONS Just Click on the above link )

FOR BUYING ANY SIKH ARTICLE IN USA INCLUDING KARA < KIROAN < NECKLACE < GUTKAS< GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI

SikhLink.net

LINK SPECIFIC FOR KARA

http://www.sikhlink.net/store/catsearch.asp?cat=Karas&type=kakkars&display=Karas

Jatinder Singh

Aug 17, 2006
Oakland, CA
Hi, Hannah Ji --

The Khalsa Consensus Translation is considered one of the best translations available. (If you're interested in a comparison of the different translations, sikhs.org has one: The Sikhism Home Page: Sri Guru Granth Sahib) It's available many places online -- I usually go to srigranth.org, as that's the one I can most easily remember. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available in printed format anywhere. And I know what you mean about possibly printing a few pages at a time -- I figure if I print 10 pages a day, it'll only take 5 months! :)

I don't think it's stupid or silly to have first learned about Sikhi from a movie. I learned about it in an even more roundabout way (I read a book on chanting, which referenced a book on Meditation as Medicine, which led me to look into 3HO, which led me to learn about mainstream Sikhi).

I think suren Ji's suggestion of reading along in a transliteration while listening to recorded banis is an excellent one for those of us who don't yet read Gurmukhi. Have you heard anything by the musician Dya Singh? He's a Sikh of Punjabi heritage who grew up in Malaysia and now lives in Australia, which gives him an interesting set of musical influences. He describes his group as "bringing Sikh music to the world, and world music to the Sikhs." Most of his tracks can be listened to as streaming audio online (Gurbani Music, Shabd Kirtan, Sikh stories and videos, MP3 files and more -- in the "BROWSE MEDIA BY:" box, choose "Musician", then scroll to Dya's name).

I love Dya's music, and I admire him very much as a person. I've been fortunate enough to meet him in person a couple of times, when he and the group have performed at gurdwaras in my area, and he's someone who seems to just radiate love of Waheguru and warmth and honesty and all those good things. To me he seems very Gurmukh -- committed to simran and seva and encouraging others to let go of haumai and immerse themselves in the naam. The more I listen to Dya's music, the more I feel drawn to reading bani and doing simran.

Nov 2, 2006
dear all,i am aditya from cardiff,wales.i have always been interested in the sikh way of life and i have read about sikhism. i am a hindu,but i would like someone to help me out with embracing sikhism in cardiff.i believe sikhism gives me internal peace and salvation. would be grateful if someone could help me out. thank u.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
It depends on how one chooses to define 'Sikkhism'.

If it is defined as a particular group of people who have a certain set of rituals and practices and observe a specific code of conduct and who identify with one another through concepts they believe to be exclusive only to their community, then yes, I would say that there exists a conversion process of some description.

But if you define Sikkhism as a concept to which a name has to have been forcibly given due to the limitations of the human mind to grasp concepts that have no name, a concept that defies the idea of division, a concept that defies all constructs that we as humans take for granted, a concept that binds all life in the universe in a way that is singular and pure? Then, no. I don't think you can 'convert' to something that is, has and will forever remain the only Truth in the cosmos.

Because you are already a part of that Truth.

Nov 2, 2006
dear max ji,
guru fateh.

i do subscribe to your thoughts.i agree with your point of view which is that of part of truth. what i look for is the procedural coversion into this great religion of mankind,the gift our great guru guru nanak ji has given us.

i would like your advice on the actual procedural conversion into sikhism and the proper baptism ceremony and the change of name.
would be grateful ji if u could help me out.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sikhi is against conversion because conversion does nothing but to change the mechanical external rituals based in dogmas- man made truth- subjective reality.

Sikhi is based on pragmatism not on any do's and don't prescribed by any dogma.

For a Sikh it is not what I can or can not do but what I will or will not do.

Hence Sikhi needs metamorphosis- extreme makeover- from a caterpillar to a butterfly. From being dogmatic to pragmatic..

For a Sikh, seeking IK ONG KAAR is a an internal manifestation not an external imposition...

So no conversion needed to become a seeker, a learner, a student- a SIKH.

Tejwant

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
dear max ji,
guru fateh.

i do subscribe to your thoughts.i agree with your point of view which is that of part of truth. what i look for is the procedural coversion into this great religion of mankind,the gift our great guru guru nanak ji has given us.

i would like your advice on the actual procedural conversion into sikhism and the proper baptism ceremony and the change of name.
would be grateful ji if u could help me out.

I think what you're looking for is a conversion into the Khalsa panth. There is actually no 'conversion' process for becoming 'a Sikkh'.

A Khalsa warrior is one who dedicates his or her life to the service of humanity by suscribing to a regime of emotional and physical discipline as outlined by the Tenth Guru. It is not a path for everyone, as it demands a lot of a person. Of course, one who is truly devoted to any discipline will find it much easier, but let there be no illusions about the fact that this is a path the width of a sword's edge.

The ceremony by which one joins this 'Brotherhood of Humanitarian Knights', as it were, is a process referred to as "taking amrit", which involves the recital of certain prayers and the drinking of a particular type of water known as amrit, which is essentially just water with sugar mixed with a steel blade.

It's actually a very deliberate political and ideological statement by the Tenth Guru, in which he replaced the ceremony of people drinking the water in which the feet of a Gurus or Sant of the old whom they followed would have been dipped. Guru Gobind Singh Ji was essentially saying "worship only the power of the sword, for it has the power to change destiny" by dipping the blade into the water instead of the ritualised (and wrong) dipping of feet.

The Sikkh community at large as you probably see and understand it undergoes no ritual of 'baptism', however. I suppose you'd just go to the Gurudwara regularly and listen and absorb gurbani.

It may be of interest for you to know that nowhere in the Guru Granth Sahib is the keeping of hair or the formation of the Khalsa mentioned. It is mentioned only in the Dassam Granth; a volume whose authorship and authenticity is still highly debated, but whose devout followers are the Khalsa of today. The Tenth Master never dubbed this volume as a 'Guru' as he did the Granth Sahib, and I think it's very important that people recognise his choice in doing so. It has always occured to me that the Khalsa is a cult of Knights created for a specific purpose. Whilst it contradicts certain passages in the Granth (such as the useless nature of wearing particular clothes, or the uselessness of the keeping of hair), it is a 'necessary evil' in that it allowed these Knights to rally around a particular image (that of a Khalsa) and to allow this to invigorate their fighting spirit to preserve the text that would preserve humanity's freedom.

They were the isolated and often violent shell comprised of men and women who sacrificed their lives to this way of life in order to protect the universal and peaceful philosophy of the Granth, and who took it upon themselves to fight for those who could not fight for themselves.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
I really think as a community we really need ot move on and search for sikhs outside of our community. This means spreading sikhi on a mass scale, something that hasn't been done since the days of the gurus. Of course, we have to start off small, and it won;t be easy to spread to other cultural areas of the world, however, the "rewards" for spreading outside are many.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I really think as a community we really need ot move on and search for sikhs outside of our community. This means spreading sikhi on a mass scale, something that hasn't been done since the days of the gurus. Of course, we have to start off small, and it won;t be easy to spread to other cultural areas of the world, however, the "rewards" for spreading outside are many.

i totaly agree with it instead of forcing sikhi to our children which are not interested in sikhi we need people which are realy interested in sikhi.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
i totaly agree with it instead of forcing sikhi to our children which are not interested in sikhi we need people which are realy interested in sikhi.

Why force children? Why not just teach them gently from an early age and allow them to make up their own minds instead of waiting for them to start finishing puberty and then jamming it down their throats when their habits and thoughts have already been formed?

I was born and brought up in a Sikkh family, and I have a real passion for the things that Guru Nanak attempted to teach. This is mostly because my bedtime stories and childhood experiences were a healthy combination of Western fairy tales and Sikkh history. My parents always believed in trying to make sure that their children were as well rounded as possible; there is a difference between stifling your children in an attempt to brainwash them, and teaching them in a relaxed and gentle manner.

Also, the problem is that everyone's view on precisely what Sikkhi is, is a little bit different depending on who you ask. Some believe it's necessary to wear a turban. Others think that it's not a requirement. Other more minor differences would also exist, and it depends on the open-mindedness of both the parent and the child.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
dear max

i am not saying that we should force sikhi to children but whether you accept it or not majority of young urban sikhs in india that are wearing turban and keeping hair is because of parents pressure.give them a chance to cut their hair and majority of them will happily do it.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
Yes, I too have experienced sentiments from people very similar to the ones you have expressed. But, if I might be so bold, it would seem that you are linking in the wearing of a turban into the belief in the words of the Granth. Immediately, we are faced with an interpretive issue.

You see, my interpretation of gurbani has lead me to believe that the wearing of a turban is not a necessity to harbour a love and a passion for Sikkh teachings and Sikkh history. But your interpretation is obviously somewhat different.

I think that if parents focussed less on dress codes and more on moral and ethical codes of honourable and decent conduct, instilling their children with stories of chivalry, bravery and integrity from all cultures - including, of course, Sikkhi - then those same children will at least be formed into more decent human beings.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: