• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Can Anyone Tell Me The Name Of This Piece Of Kirtan By Snatam Kaur?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yes I can

Dalsingh ji -- Good question because i was stumped for over a minute. And I have every cd by Snatam Kaur.

Kaur's jatha is not singing a raag per se. In concert, Snatam Kaur mixes traditional raags with yogic chants set to music. In this instance she and the jatha are singing Aad gurey nameh, jugaad gurey nameh, sat gurey nameh, sri Guru dev nameh (I left out something there). You recognize it from Sukhmani Sahib. Anyway this mantra is favored among 3HO Sikhs and is often used during kundalini practice. Sukhmani Sahib was part of the sadhana of Yogi Bhajan. The sound quality of the clip is not very good, but if you listen carefully you will make it out.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Siri Granth Satguru Namo

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Yup, she's singing Aad Guray Nameh and adding this as well which is hard to hear because we're not used to listening to such self-created lines.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yup, she's singing Aad Guray Nameh and adding this as well which is hard to hear because we're not used to listening to such self-created lines.

Yep! Snatam Kaur has a glorious voice, and when she sings classic raag it is worth hearing, worth paying to hear live.

But taking lines from Gurbani and improvising -- Apologies for my lack of open-mindedness.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks for that aad. Any idea if I can get hold of this anywhere?

I am not sure where you can find this specific chant. You might try the Spirit Voyage web site and see if any of the live concerts for 2006 have been recorded on cd and are for sale. That is all I can think of. I don't have it on any of my cd's. The raag kirtaan cd's of Snatam Kaur are very different from her concert cd's. Later tonight I will investigate.;)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsingh ji

This may be it. The album description does not give a year so it can't be matched with 2006. And I do not have Snatam Kaur's concert cd's so cannot check for you. This is the url to the sound clip.

http://yogilounge.com/Music/CDS-001900/Aad_Guray_Nameh.mp3

Listen and see if it sounds like the one you are looking for. You can purchase this on Spirit Voyage -- and it is Snatam Kaur Live in Concert.

Also check Visitor's Message on your profile for the link to the the CD. It is against forum rules to post links to commercial web sties. So I put it there.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM