• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Can A Non-Sikh Mother Or Non-Sikh Father Grow A Sikh?

Can non-sikh father or non-sikh mother teach their child Sikhi successfully?

• yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • no

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • maybe

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
In the 1960's. many Punjabi Hindus of the Khatri Caste got at least one son raised as a Sikh. And Today, 3rd generation from these hybrids are dedicated sikhs. To my knowledge this practice amongst Hindus goes back since the early 1900s.

That is still followed. Not sure of the correct word but my mum tends to call them 'manotie' as in kids who are sikhs because of oaths(manot is the word in punjabi i guess). Usually an elder in khatri households goes and takes an oath at the gurudwara that if the first born is a Son then he will be raised as a Sikh.

In my town roughy 20-30% of Khatris are guru sikhs and the rest of Khatris give Gurudwaras an equal status to Hinduism.

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU
Can a person stop being a Sikh? From reading the above posts it seems it forms part of many peoples’ spirit or internal life before they even knew it was called Sikhism.

My point is that a child raised by one or more Sikh parents will be raised within the spirit of the Sikh faith and so will never consider that they started, so why would they stop or go astray?

Amrit should be an individual decision when the individual is equipped to make it. Before that time the parents love and gentle guidance will be the flow of water and the company of the Gurdwara and SGGS will be the spiritual food. It is nature's will for all to blossom.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM