• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Californian City Gets First Sikh Mayor (NDTV)

Sep 20, 2004
An Indian-American man, who rose from humble beginnings to become a successful farmer and banker, will be the first Sikh Mayor of a Californian town known for its large Punjabi population.

Kash Gill, who as a boy used to work as a farm labourer to help his family make ends meet, was sworn in as the Mayor of Yuba City earlier this week.

The 46-year-old, now the senior vice president of a bank in the town, was elected to the City Council four years ago. The local body members chose him for the post in a 5-0 vote.

Gill, a native of Lakhsian village in Punjab, is the first Punjabi-American to hold the title in Yuba City and one of the first to do so in the state of California.

Yuba City's 65,000 residents include about 15,000 Punjabi Americans, Gill, who arrived from India with his family at the age of three, was quoted as saying by the local media.

"I'm living the American dream. From going to the US with no money, having a tough life and learning the value of hard work and sharing with others, to becoming a public servant," said Gill.

He remembers leaving the house at 5 am with his mom, twin brother and two older sisters to pick peaches and prunes. "We'd fill 10 to 12 bins a day at $6 or $7 a bin."

"Not because I wanted to learn the value of hard work but because I had to help put food on the table. You'd never think you'd be picking peaches one day and the next day you're the mayor. That's why we call it the land of opportunity," he said.

The Republican said among his top priorities will be to get levees fixed so his constituents do not have to pay more for flood insurance.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM