• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Bowing To GURU

Jul 13, 2004
UK
Many Sikhs say... They do not bow to SGGS as a physical book, but the teachings and the meaning as a Guru. Fair enough, but bowing is a physical act so how can you bow to something unphysical as a physical act? This needs to be worded better like this...

Upon entering the house of the Guru [Gurudwara], we approach the room of the Guru then come face to face with the Guru in it's physical form [BOOK].
We then bow to the book, however, this is not simply bowing to a book or the form of the Guru.
As a Sikh I prefer to be in connection with my soul. Bowing is often seen as a type of surrendering, so when I bow to almighty Guru I am not simply offering my body to the pages of the book, I am doing a physical act which shows the surrender of my life, soul and will to the teachings of the Guru.

Which is much better than simply saying I bow to the Guru's word [Gurbani]. Feel free to disagree but give reasons for diagreement.

~CaramelChocolate~

Jan 30, 2005
we approach the room of the Guru then come face to face with the Guru in it's physical form
We approach the room of the Guru then come face to face with the Guru (Shabad Form). How can Shabad be in a "physical" form? Guru is Gyan. "Gyan Guru Atam Updeso". By bowing down to the Shabad Guru a Sikh is surrendering to the teaching (the message) not pages or ink. Please read Gurbani first to understand the True meanings of "Guru" then discuss this topic. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Jun 1, 2004
Messages restored from old Forum :

nsbutter said:

Guru Pyaarye bijla Singh Ji,

This forum is to bring enlightment to the unkindled souls. So your comment "Please read Gurbani first to understand the True meanings of "Guru" then discuss this topic.", seems a little bit out of order. You can enlighten others but you should not flay them just by saying first read and the come to talk.

Just my $0.02

Jun 1, 2004

Bijla Singh said:

I did not attack anyone. Everyone thinks different and comes up with his/her own interpretation. My post clearly says "Please" which is a request. If anyone starts a discussion on "Guru Ji" then clearly he/she should know the topic before discussing it unless he/she asks a question. caramel does not have a religion which I have no problem with but I do find it insulting to my faith that he calls my Guru "a book". he did not write his post in a form of a question. anyways, Gurbani is infinity. A person can explore the depths of Gurbani all his/her life and never reach its limits.

Sikhs believe in the “Word” as the Guru. The Word is eternal. The word “Guru” is combination of two words Gu meaning Darkness and Ru meaning Light. So literally, Guru means “The Light that dispels darkness.” The light is divine knowledge. The light is the Word. The Word is expressed and unexpressed, manifest and unmanifest. The Word is the true nature of Akal Purakh (God) Himself.

I apologize if I offended anyone. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Jun 1, 2004

VaheguruSeekr said:

Bowing to Guru Granth Sahib ji, our only mediator, our only intermerdiary, has the depth of the deepest ocean.

Bowing means looking inwards while looking downwards, chest deflated, shoulders sullen, on the heels, ready to listen. Total Surrender to GURU SHABAD.

Bowing is recognition of the metamorphosis from expectation to acceptance.

Bowing also means climbing down rather than up. Just like the the stairs to reach Harmandar Sahib, unlike any other religious shrine.

Bowing is, Ready to learn. Anytime. Anyplace.

I bow to Guru Granth Sahib ji.

I am ready to learn. Anytime. Anyplace.

Tejwant.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Bowing also means...leaving ones own "manmatt" at Guru Ji's Lotus Feet and taking back GURU-MATT..

Bowing also means Giving up our HEAD to GURU JI....as the Panj did to Guru Gobind Singh Ji..in return for Eternal Life

Jarnail Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM