• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Bowing Down To Guru Ji

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
This might be a stupid question, but why do Sikhs bow down in front of the Guru Granth Sahib for?

Also, are there any verses in the Guru Granth Sahib states that it’s mandatory to bow down in front of the Guru Granth Sahib?

Amardeep

SPNer
Feb 12, 2006
i was wondering the same thing too..

but what made me wonder is why we put the Guru "To sleep"?? where i live, we put it into a room, and in a bed. it looks weird..

did Guru Gobind Singh jee tell us to put the Guru to sleep in a bed, or is it something we have made up ourselves?

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
J.A.T.T said:
This might be a stupid question, but why do Sikhs bow down in front of the Guru Granth Sahib for?

that's not a stupid question, i', sure we have all asked that question...

It's good too ask questions.

I think we do it out of repsect, but putting the guru to "bed" seems a little far.

Can anyone support this?

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

bowing dowen is there just as a way to surrender but in our mind we need to have Akal and not the scriputre and thats what the scriptures say.

Dandwat Bandan Anik Bar Sarb Kala Samrth Dolan Te Rakho prabhu Nanak De Kar Hath.

Bowing like stick(on ground) many times(To) capable of all arta(God).Save from dithering/deveating Nanak,By givng hand oh Lord.

Anoop

SPNer
Mar 12, 2006
London Uk
Yup, the thing is, like i said before when we bow down to the sri guru granth sahib, its not an act. Its hard for people who have less heart and understand in god to understand why we bow down. The words of god are in the guru granth sahib, so you should bow to it if you full understand and worship god. You see god is not seen, and god is when you surrender with no intention to change, but it automatically happens that you become god when you surrender. The guru granth sahib helps us to become of that of god.

Again, dont be to harsh if it says in sikhism not to worship idols. When we are bowing down to the guru granth sahib, we are not treating it as an idol of god. We are treating it as the first steps of being god-like. It is where we learn from god.

Its hard to understand, but, dont take everything to big in sikhism, when it says bow to the guru greanth sahib, first understand the meaning ot it, and understand what god is. People in sikhism sometimes do to much saying, this is not rite, thi sis wrong. Nothing is right and wrong, only when you know the meanings to everything then you will know.

sO DONT JUST SAY YOUR A SIKH BECAUSE YOU HAVE A TURBAN AND YOU FOLLOW THE GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI. You have to be so pure and so understand with the holy book and ultimatley with god.

Anoop

SPNer
Mar 12, 2006
London Uk
just amke sure you dont do to much. The guru granth sahib should be worshipped in love but not too much. Dont make it as though it is everything. Ofcourse it is everything, but you have to meditate do nam simran and everything it says in guru granth sahib ji. Guru granth sahib ji is like a tutorial for beginners.

Amardeep

SPNer
Feb 12, 2006
did Guru Gobind Singh tell us to prostate to it, or is it just something the sikhs came up with later on?.

and whats the deal about putting the Guru to sleep? i as a beliving sikh find this very weird.

Rajwinder

Writer
SPNer
May 2, 2006
Good question ... I was just thinking that like when we meet somebody elder we bow touch there feats as mark of respect and to show them that they are much above us and more experienced so bowing in front of SGGS ji which got summary of all the experiences of our gurus is justified i think !

About the sleep part that is a little " Not understandable to me " Well i think our gurus created SGGJ ji as something without any soul and bodily form so what we are doing ????

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Rajwinder said:
Good question ... I was just thinking that like when we meet somebody elder we bow touch there feats as mark of respect and to show them that they are much above us and more experienced so bowing in front of SGGS ji which got summary of all the experiences of our gurus is justified i think !????

your're right! We do it out of respect, not worship, or we would be hindues! That's why we should not have pics of the gurus nor bow or pray to them.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
J.A.T.T said:

Also, are there any verses in the Guru Granth Sahib states that it’s mandatory to bow down in front of the Guru Granth Sahib?

Sheep just follow the one in front.

Non-thinking people are no different.

I do it for respect. And also so one of my uncles don't come and kick my {censored} for doing a more stylish variation of it :}{}{}:

roshi

SPNer
Jul 4, 2006
i think bowing to Guru Granth Sahib ji is important because we need to learn humility...thats very important according to our Gurus....we need to accept that there is one power which is greater than all on Earth.....as an individual, it was very difficult for me to leave my arrogance and bow...also i heard somewhere that when the Tenth Guru gave the Gurgaddi to Guru Granth Sahib ji, he himself bowed in front of the Present Guru....it has been a tradition that all the Gurus when pass on the Gurgaddi to the next Guru, bow in front of his successor....if our Gurus can do it...why can't we? after all the Tenth Guru himself said about Guru Granth Sahib ji....:Baani Guru, Guru hai Baani, Vich Baani amrit saare, Gurbani kahe, sewak jan maane, partakh Guru nistaare......hope i make some sense...:)

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
I got a feeling that the excessive rituals around Guru sahib is later Brahmin influence. If you look at some old paintings from Sikh Raj times, the granth does have an umbrella above it but the dais is less ostentatious than the ones of today in that they seemed to be made of plain white cloth. Not the garish, gold tinsel embroidered type.

Besides, Sikhs from all accounts used to take the Guru into battle with them (uptil world war 1 at least) and there is a photo of them in the desert carrying the Granth Sahib. Also recall the story of Sham Singh Attari vowing on the SGGS not to surrender on the battlefield during the Anglo-Sikh wars.

Physically treating the Guru as a human, is taking the order Guru maneyo granth too literally I think.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
dalsingh said:
Physically treating the Guru as a human, is taking the order Guru maneyo granth too literally I think.

Indeed.

A Guru is one who teaches and enlightens. The Granth's words are meant to teach and to enlighten. Hence, in this way, the Granth is the Guru.

Not physically, of course. But in the sense that it provides wisdom and guidance.

I enjoyed your post, Dal.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
max314 said:
Indeed.

A Guru is one who teaches and enlightens. The Granth's words are meant to teach and to enlighten. Hence, in this way, the Granth is the Guru.

Not physically, of course. But in the sense that it provides wisdom and guidance.

I enjoyed your post, Dal.

Thanks Max

I'm in full agreement with you. But saying all this, bowing down to the Granth for me, personally, is a very deep experience. Takes alot of weight off my shoulders. Maybe it is a psychological construct but I do feel real love when I do it. It is the focus of my heart and the confident to whom I expose my deepest feelings.

But all this means nothing unless I endeavour to discover the message within.
---------------

MUNDAAVANEE, FIFTH MEHL:

Seal of SGGS

Upon this Plate, three things have been placed: Truth, Contentment and Contemplation. The Ambrosial Nectar of the Naam, the Name of our Lord and Master, has been placed upon it as well; it is the Support of all. One who eats it and enjoys it shall be saved. This thing can never be forsaken; keep this always and forever in your mind. The dark world-ocean is crossed over, by grasping the Feet of the Lord; O Nanak, it is all the extension of God.

Aug 30, 2006
DearKHALSA JI,

I BELIEVE THAT GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI IS SEAT OF BIGGEST HONOUR N RESPECT FOR SIKHS.

I BELIEVE THAT 10 GURU SAHIBS ARE INFRONT OF ME IN FOR OF GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI...
AND I THINK KHALSA PANTH MUST BOW BEFORE GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI...

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
It is a cutural phenomena. All cultures have distinct ways of respect and honor that they cherish. We cover our heads when we go to Gurdwara whereas the christians take thier hats off before entering the church. Same thing goes when a funeral is passing through, we cover our heads and they uncover thiers.

Indian society is based on heirachy where the caste,age,and the kind of relationship is respected in different manners. For example, we respect our Taya more than our Chacha or Maama, Bhua more than Chachi or Maami.etc etc..This was all changed by Guru Nanak when he came to show us the Gurmat path.We can discuss this part later.

So Bowing is part of the culture. Bowing infront of Guru Granth Sahib ji is like a student who comes to his/her class and announces to the teacher that he/she is ready to learn and promises to pay attention to all what the teacher is to teach and also promises to do the homework. Lets remember all the above everytime we enter the Gurdwara and last but not the least lets not forget to do our homework.:)

Now as far as the second part is concerned about putting Guru Sahib to sleep is Manmat. Lets ask a question to ourselves. How can we put our most precious tool box to sleep?

Tejwant

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: