• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism Book Recommendation: Sikhism And Guru Granth Sahib

Visitor

SPNer
May 4, 2008
London
I have just finished reading an amazing book by Dr. Surindar Singh Kohli titled 'Sikhism and Guru Granth Sahib'. I just wanted to pass it on to everyone else who is interested in good reads. I thought that it gave a very fair and just discussion on different elements of Sikhism. It addresses (I take from the contents) a definition of Sikhism, its origins and features, unity of sikh thought, the Sikh religion towards humanity (very good), the Sikh scriptures (my favourite), martyrs and position of women in Sikhism. The second half focuses on Guru Granth Sahib in regards to the uniqueness (amazing), the compilation, editing, composers of the divine poetry and philosophy.

If anyone reads this book or has, could you also share your thoughts about it with me?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Visitor ji

Why don't you post this review and the book information - author, publisher, date and title in the Scholarly Books List thread. I am sure people will see your comments and find them interesting in that thread where many other books have already been compiled.

Visitor

SPNer
May 4, 2008
London
Aad0002 ji,

I must admit that I am having a little laugh to myself right now. You are truly a helpful member of both sites that I am looking at - so thank-you again! I promise that I do get better with time on these things :), it just takes a while!!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Aad0002 ji,

I must admit that I am having a little laugh to myself right now. You are truly a helpful member of both sites that I am looking at - so thank-you again! I promise that I do get better with time on these things :), it just takes a while!!

Visitorji

I am a little curious. SPN is the only site where I am an active member. I am an administrator on a social network called Universal Mind and a member of sikhnetsevadhars--but they are private and not too active. What is the second site? All the other sites that I joined were only to see what was going on. They were kind of boring.

Visitor

SPNer
May 4, 2008
London
Are you not on Sikhnet? I may be completely loosing the plot here but I am sure that you gave advice on that one too. But no worries! Either way, you have been helpful. Take Care

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yes, maybe you did see me there responding to a news article. Heh Heh. Didn't think of it as forum. Sat Nam.

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
<TABLE class=table-item-info cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=label>Here I pulled it from Worldcat, interestingly over at Google books it says South Asia books is the publisher
Surinder Singh Kohli has written a number of excellent looking books . I"d like to take out: 'Life and Ideals of Guru Gobind Singh" & "Outlines of Sikh Thought"
Here is the reference for "Sikhism and Guru Granth Sahib"

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Publisher:</TD><TD>Delhi : National Book Shop, ©1990.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>ISBN:</TD><TD>817116093X 9788171160938</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>OCLC:</TD><TD>27123998</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM