• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Bhagats Bhagats Of AGGS

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Bhagats of AGGS

Bhagat Ramanand: 1 hymn: (1359-1467) Ramanand, a Brahmin was born in 1359 in Madras and was fourth in spiritual descent of Swami Ramanj. The later was a worshiper of Vishnu and died after living 120 years and believed that purity of thought could only be obtained by eating food not seen by others. He found himself in difficulty between pantheism and anthropomorphism. Ramanand cancelled observance of caste rules and all can eat together irrespective of birth. He said a low caste man who loves God is superior to a Brahman. He was distinguished for his kindness to others and loves of God being a monotheistic. His disciples in AGGS are Pipa, Sain, Dhanna, Ravidas, Kabir and others like Anantanand, Sureshwarananad, Sukhananad, Bhawannanad. He died at Benares at an advanced age. He is regarded as the pioneer of the Bhakti movement in northern India. A Vaishnava in his early life, he became a worshipper of Brahma and condemned the caste system. Kabir was the most renowned amongst his disciples. His one Sabad in AGGS is present in Raag Basant;

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥​

Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:​

ਕਤ ਜਾਈਐ ਰੇ ਘਰ ਲਾਗੋ ਰੰਗੁ ॥ ਮੇਰਾ ਚਿਤੁ ਨ ਚਲੈ ਮਨੁ ਭਇਓ ਪੰਗੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਏਕ ਦਿਵਸ ਮਨ ਭਈ ਉਮੰਗ ॥ ਘਸਿ ਚੰਦਨ ਚੋਆ ਬਹੁ ਸੁਗੰਧ ॥ ਪੂਜਨ ਚਾਲੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਠਾਇ ॥ ਸੋ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਬਤਾਇਓ ਗੁਰ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਮਾਹਿ ॥੧॥ ਜਹਾ ਜਾਈਐ ਤਹ ਜਲ ਪਖਾਨ ॥ ਤੂ ਪੂਰਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਹੈ ਸਭ ਸਮਾਨ ॥ ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਸਭ ਦੇਖੇ ਜੋਇ ॥ ਊਹਾਂ ਤਉ ਜਾਈਐ ਜਉ ਈਹਾਂ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥੨॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੈ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਤੋਰ ॥ ਜਿਨਿ ਸਕਲ ਬਿਕਲ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕਾਟੇ ਮੋਰ ॥ ਰਾਮਾਨੰਦ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਰਮਤ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਾਟੈ ਕੋਟਿ ਕਰਮ ॥੩॥੧॥

Kaṯ jā▫ī▫ai re gẖar lāgo rang. Merā cẖiṯ na cẖalai man bẖa▫i▫o pang. ||1|| rahā▫o Ėk ḏivas man bẖa▫ī umang. Gẖas cẖanḏan cẖo▫ā baho suganḏẖ. Pūjan cẖālī barahm ṯẖā▫e. So barahm baṯā▫i▫o gur man hī māhi. ||1| Jahā jā▫ī▫ai ṯah jal pakẖān. Ŧū pūr rahi▫o hai sabẖ samān. Beḏ purān sabẖ ḏekẖe jo▫e. Ūhāʼn ṯa▫o jā▫ī▫ai ja▫o īhāʼn na ho▫e. ||2|| Saṯgur mai balihārī ṯor. Jin sakal bikal bẖaram kāte mor. Rāmānanḏ su▫āmī ramaṯ barahm. Gur kā sabaḏ kātai kot karam. ||3||1||

Where should I go? My home is filled with bliss. My consciousness does not go out wandering. My mind has become crippled. ||1||Pause|| One day, a desire welled up in my mind. I ground up sandalwood, along with several fragrant oils. I went to God's place, and worshipped It there.
That God showed me the Guru, within my own mind. ||1|| wherever I go, I find water and stones. You are totally pervading and permeating in all. I have searched through all the Vedas and the Puraanas. I would go there, only if the God were not here. ||2|| I am a sacrifice to You, O my True Guru. You have cut through all my confusion and doubt. Ramanand's God and Master is All-pervading. The Word of the Guru's Sabd eradicates the karma of millions of past actions. ||3||1||
------Ramananad, Raag Basant, AGGS, Page, 1195-11

Virinder S. Grewal

May 23, 2009
Respected Grewal Ji, Gur Fateh The translation of the tukਸੋ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਬਤਾਇਓ ਗੁਰ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਮਾਹਿ ॥੧॥
as That God showed me the Guru, within my own mind. ||1|| seems to be in reverse order.I think it is the Guru showing Ramanand Ji the presence of God in his very own heart.Ramanand ji does not have to go outside looking for God.
It may be the grammar.May be a comma after That God can explain it.
Respectfully,
Satnam Singh Randhawa

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM