• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Beyond Our Expectations

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Once a boy went to a shop with his mother.

The shop keeper looked at the small cute child and showed him a bottle with sweets and said:

'Dear Child..u can take the sweets...'

But the child didnt take.

The shop keeper was surprised... such a small child he is and why is he not taking the sweets from the bottle.

Again he said: 'Take the sweets...'

Now the mother also heard that and said: 'Take the sweets dear...'

Yet he didnt take...

The shopkeeper seeing the child not taking the sweets... he himself took the sweets and gave to the child.

The child was happy to get two hands full of sweets.

While returning home the Mother asked the child...

'Why didnt you take the sweets, when the shop keeper told you to take?'

Can you guess the response:

Child replies... 'Mom! my hands are very small and if i take the sweets i can only take few...

But now you see when uncle gave with his big hands... how many more sweets i got!'

Moral: When we take we may get little but when God gives... HE gives us more, beyond our expectations...
More than what we can hold...!

ਦੇਦਾ ਦੇ ਲੈਦੇ ਥਕਿ ਪਾਹਿ
देदा दे लैदे थकि पाहि ॥
Ḏėḏā ḏė laiḏė thak pāhi.
The Great Giver keeps on giving, while those who receive grow weary of receiving.

Source: Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Last edited by a moderator:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Moral: When we take we may get little but when God gives... HE gives us more, beyond our expectations...
Guru ji is of contrary opinion in this regards
ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ਅਮਲੁ ਗਲੋਲਾ ਕੂੜ ਕਾ ਦਿਤਾ ਦੇਵਣਹਾਰਿ ਮਤੀ ਮਰਣੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਿਆ ਖੁਸੀ ਕੀਤੀ ਦਿਨ ਚਾਰਿ ਸਚੁ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਸੋਫੀਆ ਰਾਖਣ ਕਉ ਦਰਵਾਰੁ
Sri Rag, First Guru. The Giver has given man intoxicating pill of falsehood. Having been intoxicated therewith he has forgotten death and makes merry for four days( for limited time). The mortals, who are the nonusers of intoxicants, obtain truthfulness to keep them in God's Court.
AND
ਮੇਰੇ ਲਾਲ ਭਲੋ ਰੇ ਭਲੋ ਰੇ ਭਲੋ ਹਰਿ ਮੰਗਨਾ
Mėrė lāl balo rė balo rė balo har mangnā.
O my dear beloved, it is good, it is better, it is best, to ask for the Lord's Name.
ਮਃ 5 (SGGS 67

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Once a boy went to a shop with his mother.

The shop keeper looked at the small cute child and showed him a bottle with sweets and said:

'Dear Child..u can take the sweets...'

But the child didnt take.

The shop keeper was surprised... such a small child he is and why is he not taking the sweets from the bottle.

Again he said: 'Take the sweets...'

Now the mother also heard that and said: 'Take the sweets dear...'

Yet he didnt take...

The shopkeeper seeing the child not taking the sweets... he himself took the sweets and gave to the child.

The child was happy to get two hands full of sweets.

While returning home the Mother asked the child...

'Why didnt you take the sweets, when the shop keeper told you to take?'

Can you guess the response:

Child replies... 'Mom! my hands are very small and if i take the sweets i can only take few...

But now you see when uncle gave with his big hands... how many more sweets i got!'

ਦੇਦਾ ਦੇ ਲੈਦੇ ਥਕਿ ਪਾਹਿ
देदा दे लैदे थकि पाहि ॥
Ḏėḏā ḏė laiḏė thak pāhi.
The Great Giver keeps on giving, while those who receive grow weary of receiving.

Source: Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

whats the moral in the following story ?

In a Punjab village lived a "child" who would pick out the "lowest" denomination of money to take. Soon he became famous as people flocked to "test" him...they would offer him 5 RP10 RP 100 rupee notes..he would invariably take the 1 RP only and ignore the rest...soon his "fame" spread to nearby villages and towns as well.
Once soembody asked him..why do you only take the 1RP notes... he answered...IF I had taken the bigger notes..would people still be "testing" me ?? I have taken far more money this way...

Gyani JS

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM