Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Best and Worst Sites on Sikhism?

Discussion in 'New to Sikhism' started by Randip Singh, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar
    Historian SPNer Supporter

Share your experinces and share which sites you think are really good (especially those new to Sikhism), and those which you think are really bad and why?

The Best :happy:

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net - a very unbiased discussion forum

Welcome to website about history of the sikhs - great historical resource

The Sikhism Home Page - great resource for essays and basics of sikhism.

Wikipedia - is good and bad, but better in most cases because of its Neutral Point of View stance.

Anglo Sikh Heritage Trail - a great site run by academics..

The Worst :down:

guide to Sikhism, its social and spiritual roots, its history,beliefs and philosophy. - possibly the worst "sikh" resource out there. Very biased. Poorly written articles. Alot of conjecture and misquotes.

The Voice of Sikh Youth (Powered by Invision Power Board) - used to one of the best discussion forums, has become really bad now. Run by Sikh sects and Sant Matt groups.

Main Page - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia. - the worst sikh resource outthere. Claims to have neutral point of view when in reality is run by Sikh sects GNNSJ and 3HO. A lot of opinion and badly written articles.

Please share your opinions.:up:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Loading...

3. Sinister

Sinister
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

hmmm...havent visited many of them

i agree with one:

sikhsangat has my vote as being the epicenter of stupidity...

spn is the best :D

as long as they call it Sikh philosophy network and NOT SIkh people network (which i saw a while ago...and deeply dissapointed me):p...good you guys changed it back

cheers

• Like Like x 6
  4. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

I think we willl be keeping it Sikh philosophy?

A real dam shame about www.{url not allowed} because it split from the waheguroo network because waheguroo network was very fanatical. They inturn have turned very very fanatical. Dammed shame because there were a couple of great moderators there, who alas have been bulllied out by fanatics.

Other great sites I have seen are:

www.saldef.org/ - campaigns for sikh rights and some great info

Welcome to Gateway to Sikhism - Gateway to Sikhism | Gateway to Sikhis - seems ok.

The Sikh Coalition - has some nice writings

• Like Like x 1
  5. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

6. kds1980

kds1980 India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

7. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Sikhism: Reflections On Gurbani is one of my favorite sites. :}{}{}: Link to www.gurbani.org

This site is pure gurmat. Articles are available on a variety of topics in Sikhism and each essay is organized around quotes from Gurbani. The author T. Singh develops and idea, then backs it up with Gurbani. The moves on to the next idea, and backs up that with more Gurbani. And so on until he reaches a conclusion. He has an entire section on religious fanaticism and why it is anti-Gurmat. Best thing -- he is an ordinary guy who has read the Guru in depth and he states that he is not trying to convince anyone. He is also a wanderer on the path to finding the Divine Light.

• Like Like x 3
    #6 spnadmin, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  8. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

9. Archived_member7

Archived_member7
    Expand Collapse

10. Huck_Finn

Huck_Finn
    Expand Collapse
    (previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
    SPNer

:)

kds ji

slightly personal...but i find it amusing that all your discussions come back to marriage ;)

:)

11. kds1980

kds1980 India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

WHAT OMGOMGOMG

It looks like you only read My posts where I quote marriage

12. Hardas Singh

Hardas Singh
    Expand Collapse
    (previously Satyadhi)
    SPNer

Recently I've been going to this site called Sikhism 101, seems like a pretty good place. They give clear answers about differant issues and support their opinion with Gurbani when possible.

13. Hardas Singh

Hardas Singh
    Expand Collapse
    (previously Satyadhi)
    SPNer

www.sarbloh.info is a really bad site because they promote Sikh cults which have broken away from our Gurus teachings. If you search the differances between many of these Sikh cults and what Sikhi really teaches then you will see that many of them promote ideas such as caste, cow worship, worship of Krishna and other Hindu gods, puja, and many other false ideas.

On the other hand, some of the sites mentioned as bad, I go to them alot, I don't always agree, but I find they adhere to the core principles of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. If they are teaching falsehood please give more examples.

14. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

I had a read of sarbloh, not all of it is bad. Some of it is factual.

The other sites mentioned as bad are so because they claim to be mainstream Sikhism yet they are pushing the teachings of Sants, Cults, Derawalay etc (AKJ, DDT, GNSSJ etc), at least with sarbloh they do no pretend to be mainstream Sikhs hence Sanatan Sikhi.

• Like Like x 1
  15. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

I have also found some very useful informaiton on sarbloh. The sanatan elements are obvious and they do not try to hide it or pass it off as something else. It is important to remember that there are many groups within Sikhism who incorporate sanatan and Nihangs are among them. I enjoy the site but would not count it among my favorite sites.

Beside SPN -- I repeat Sikhism: Reflections On Gurbani at www.gurbani.org for Gurbani premies-- 2 great sites. Humble apologies.

16. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Possibly the worst site.

A current forum member told me about a "terrible site" this morning on Skype. It is pretty interesting - it works like a free-for-all -- and if you don't understand English phrases -- well, free-for-all-means unregulated panga.

The site is Topix - which is a very big site that is international. And if you just type "topix" into the Google search engine, all the links you will get are discussion groups in your local area, if there is a topix.com near you.

BUT IF YOU TYPE "topix sikh" into the Google Search engine then you will be connected to this link - Sikh Forum - Topix - where a variety of threads about Sikhi and Sikhism are being discussed.

How does the panga come in? I checked the site out. You don't even have to be a registered member to post. And there is absolutely no moderation. Apparently anyone can say anything and that is that. So completely disorderly discussions will be found there. A lot of sensationalism and a lot of misunderstanding.

17. sunsingh

sunsingh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

www.srigranth.org - if you click on read page by page you can select between 2 different english translation, 2 different teekas, and 2 different gurbani sets with one that has the bisraams (pauses used in uchaaran) marked. also, mousing over the gurbani gives the translation of the word.

G U R M A T V E E C H A R . C O M - loads of amazing katha.

www.{url not allowed} :: Index - imo, best sikh forum on the net. lots of diverse opinions, many of them quite knowledgeable.

18. Hardas Singh

Hardas Singh
    Expand Collapse
    (previously Satyadhi)
    SPNer

That is true, Sarbloh does openly admit it's differances with mainstream Sikhism. I guess it is important to study all aspects of Sikhism if I want to be a expert on Sikhism, but it's just that I'm tired of everyone acting like these cults are Sikhs when many of them are closer to Hinduism mixed with a lot of Sikh ideas. I'm sure some of them are very nice people, but they are still spreading a false version of sikhism.

Well, the Nihangs are kind of complex in my opinion, because there are some true Nihangs, and there are many false Nihangs.

19. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Well, the Nihangs are kind of complex in my opinion, because there are some true Nihangs, and there are many false Nihangs.

Satyadi ji -- Very true. And there are different groupings within the Nihang as well, with some very traditional and others not so much.

20. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

www.srigranth.orh is good, but I would encourage people to get the translation by Devinder Singh Chahal too.

21. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

I think that is the point, I think sarbloh does not pretend to be mainstream Sikhs and clearly says where it is at odds with mainstream Sikhs. GNNSJ, AKJ, DDT are all at odds with mainstream Sikhi in one way or another but never ever admit it, but launch sites on the net being silent about their differences.