• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Behaviour In The Gurdwara

Interested

SPNer
May 31, 2007
London
Actually, I have to say that i disagree with this general statement. Just because some of us are from teh west (born or convert) does not mean that this is the case.

One could argue that those who choose Sikhism as away of life rather then born to it actually pour more into doing it "right". I find that a little offensive to be honest. It is very difficult to try and include yourself as a "westerner" or a convert. But we do it with the knowledge and faith that Gaheguru will guide us. yes it is true that language can be a barrier and I, for one, am very grateful that they have English translations available for us!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Actually, I have to say that i disagree with this general statement. Just because some of us are from teh west (born or convert) does not mean that this is the case.

One could argue that those who choose Sikhism as away of life rather then born to it actually pour more into doing it "right". I find that a little offensive to be honest. It is very difficult to try and include yourself as a "westerner" or a convert. But we do it with the knowledge and faith that Gaheguru will guide us. yes it is true that language can be a barrier and I, for one, am very grateful that they have English translations available for us!

interested ji

Who or what statement did you find a little offensive? Language is definitely a barrier. But in many gurdwaras efforts are made to incorporate English translations into services and programmes. And the feeling that one is excluded, I am pretty certain, this is rarely the result of any intentional or deliberate actions. But -- there are sangats where status rules are worked out and they are used to marginalize other members of the Sangat. Sometime this is based on language, at other times it is based on other attributes such as being amritdhari, and at other times it depends on political alignments within Sikhism.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: