• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

BC Sikh Community To Raise Funds For Pakistan Flood Victims

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Surrey, BC – The BC Sikh community will be helping raise funds for the victims of the Pakistan floods this Saturday, August 21, 2010.

Pakistan has been heavily flooded. The damage done is quite extensive, according to the Canadian Red Cross, the floods have affected over 20 million people, across 70% of the country. Aid has been slow to reach the area, as UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon stated:

“This has been a heart-wrenching day – I will never forget the destruction and suffering I have witnessed. In the past I have witnessed many natural disasters around the world, but nothing like this. I am here… to share my sympathy and solidarity of the United Nations together with the people and government of Pakistan at this time of trial. I am here also to urge the world community to speed up their assistance to Pakistan.” (news.sky.com)

It is imperative that Canadians respond to this tragedy with gusto. The BC Sikh Community will be raising funds this Saturday, August 21, 2010 from 9am – 9pm. Donations will be collected at the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara and other Gurdwaras around the lower mainland.

After hearing about the heart wrenching tales coming from Pakistan, and the scale of damage, GNSG decided to take a lead in raising funds for the victims. “The Sikh Community needs to rally for Pakistan like it did for Haiti”, said GNSG Society President Bikramjit Singh, “the damage is great, and donations for Pakistan have been slow coming, from all over the world. It will be for the BC Sikh Community to lead the charge and help their fellow man
in their time of struggle”.

http://www.gurunanakgurdwara.ca/201...ity-to-raise-funds-for-pakistan-flood-victims

polpol

SPNer
Jun 14, 2010
Yes, the aid is slow.
This is also a human tragedy. Where I live people don't give a damn nor a cent and they have all sorts of weird anti muslim, xenophobic reasons for not giving and this shows that we are all in big trouble if the Pakistani people get only help from Islamists. I think this is a major historic turning point, the point of no return. Maybe Sikhs can make a difference. I only send money through Sikhs because I trust them. The turning point is that if we don't help Pakistan, then Terrorism will prevail and this means the end of western civilisation as we know it. I keep a "humanitarian aid for Pakistan" box in my shop but it is empty. This is most disturbing. If anybody has any ideaskhandaa please speak up.

Sep 27, 2008
England
Polpol Ji in Britain the last time i checked the public had raised over 36 million pounds for pakistan. The problem is will it get to the people in need ? i doubt very much. Another thing that i saw was pakistan barred ALL Indians & Jews from entering their country to help. That kind of thinking from their politicians does not help, i think they have changed their views now after the Americans had a word with them. Yes the Taliban can use this situation for their own gains.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM