• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

BBC's Sonia Deol Is Forced Off Facebook By Sikhs Furious Over TV Film

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
BBC's Sonia Deol is forced off Facebook by Sikhs furious over TV film

BBC's Sonia Deol is forced off Facebook by Sikhs furious over TV film | Mail Online

A BBC News presenter has been subjected to a deluge of personal abuse after fronting a documentary about one of the most controversial events in recent Indian history.

Sonia Deol was forced to delete her page on the Facebook website amid a barrage of criticism from fellow Sikhs over her film about the Indian army storming the Golden Temple in Amritsar, one of the faith’s most holy shrines, in 1984.

Now protesters are planning a mass boycott of the licence fee in disgust at what they see as a slur on the controversial religious leader Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, who was killed in the raid.

Controversial: Sonia Deol's film provoked a furious response from some Sikhs

Many Sikhs consider him a saint and are furious that in Ms Deol’s documentary, 1984: A Sikh Story, he was described as a militant.
They also claim he was depicted in the film in a similar way to Osama Bin Laden.

Indian prime minister Indira Gandhi ordered the assault on June 4, 1984, after Bhindranwale and up to 500 armed supporters took refuge in the holy site, apparently fearing arrest amid rising Sikh-Hindu tensions.

Around 500 people died in the ensuing battle, which some Sikhs now refer to as ‘our 9/11’.

As troops moved in, Bhindranwale’s followers fired missiles at Indian tanks.

The BBC has received 52 complaints about the documentary, which attracted 1.3 million viewers and was billed as Ms Deol’s ‘emotional journey back to India in a bid to discover how such an attack could ever have taken place’.

However, community TV station The Sikh Channel says it received more than 8,000 calls to a phone-in about the controversial film.

Legacy: Sikhs are unhappy with the portrayal of Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale in the film

Channel owner Davinder Singh Bal said: ‘The documentary contained many sweeping statements and didn’t attempt to uncover the truth of what happened.

'Our viewers were not happy. BT said that our exchange was going into overdrive.

‘The BBC is not responding to the Sikh community and we are thinking about organising a campaign to invoke the non-payment of licence fees by the 700,000 Sikhs in Britain.’

Dr Sadhu Singh, chairman of the Council of Sikh Temples, said many viewers were angered that ‘the BBC showed him [Bhindranwale] looking like Bin Laden’.

He said: ‘They used pictures of him wearing a turban and holding a gun. To someone who doesn’t know what Sikhism is about, it would be very misleading.

'Sikhs were attacked after September 11, but Sikhs are nothing to do with Bin Laden.

‘Some people are very upset that the documentary also showed Sonia Deol dancing with Hindus as if there is no problem between Hindus and Sikhs.
‘The feeling is still there that people who were responsible for 1984 have not been brought to justice.’

Ms Deol – who hosts BBC Breakfast at weekends and News 24 bulletins – deleted her Facebook profile onWednesday after the row escalated.

She told fans: ‘Time to shut this fan page down guys. Sorry. I know loadsof you have been superb, but a small minority have not understood what I am/am not in control of personally.’

In her introduction to the film, 36-year-old Ms Deol said Bhindranwale was ‘viewed as a militant who had terrorised for long enough’.

And she interviewed General Kuldip Singh Braer, who commanded the Indian forces that stormed the temple in what was known as Operation Blue Star.

The general, who also comes from a Sikh family, said of Bhindranwale: ‘He may have started out as a saint but he didn’t end as a saint.’

Holy site: The Golden Temple in Amritsar was stormed by the Indian army in 1984

Operation Blue Star is believed to have led to the assassination of Mrs Gandhi, who was killed by two of her Sikh bodyguards four months after the attack.

Her death triggered three days of attacks on Sikhs across India, in which 3,000 people were killed.

A BBC source said Ms Deol’s documentary was never intended to be an investigation, saying: ‘It was her personal journey, a look at her reaction to rediscovering her faith as a Sikh.

‘It was for a mainstream channel, BBC1 and there’s only so much you can say in an hour.

'A lot of the attacks on Sonia have been because people think that the documentary reflected her views on Bhindranwale, but she did not give her opinions about him at all.

'She’s also had a lot of supportive comments.’

A BBC spokeswoman said: ‘1984:A Sikh Story was an authored personal journey through the eyes of a young British Sikh and included a range of contributors offering differing points of view.’

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
BBC's Sonia Deol is forced off Facebook by Sikhs furious over TV film

BBC's Sonia Deol is forced off Facebook by Sikhs furious over TV film | Mail Online

A BBC News presenter has been subjected to a deluge of personal abuse after fronting a documentary about one of the most controversial events in recent Indian history.

Sonia Deol was forced to delete her page on the Facebook website amid a barrage of criticism from fellow Sikhs over her film about the Indian army storming the Golden Temple in Amritsar, one of the faith’s most holy shrines, in 1984.

Now protesters are planning a mass boycott of the licence fee in disgust at what they see as a slur on the controversial religious leader Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, who was killed in the raid.

Controversial: Sonia Deol's film provoked a furious response from some Sikhs

Many Sikhs consider him a saint and are furious that in Ms Deol’s documentary, 1984: A Sikh Story, he was described as a militant.
They also claim he was depicted in the film in a similar way to Osama Bin Laden.

Indian prime minister Indira Gandhi ordered the assault on June 4, 1984, after Bhindranwale and up to 500 armed supporters took refuge in the holy site, apparently fearing arrest amid rising Sikh-Hindu tensions.

Around 500 people died in the ensuing battle, which some Sikhs now refer to as ‘our 9/11’.

As troops moved in, Bhindranwale’s followers fired missiles at Indian tanks.

The BBC has received 52 complaints about the documentary, which attracted 1.3 million viewers and was billed as Ms Deol’s ‘emotional journey back to India in a bid to discover how such an attack could ever have taken place’.

However, community TV station The Sikh Channel says it received more than 8,000 calls to a phone-in about the controversial film.

Legacy: Sikhs are unhappy with the portrayal of Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale in the film

Channel owner Davinder Singh Bal said: ‘The documentary contained many sweeping statements and didn’t attempt to uncover the truth of what happened.

'Our viewers were not happy. BT said that our exchange was going into overdrive.

‘The BBC is not responding to the Sikh community and we are thinking about organising a campaign to invoke the non-payment of licence fees by the 700,000 Sikhs in Britain.’

Dr Sadhu Singh, chairman of the Council of Sikh Temples, said many viewers were angered that ‘the BBC showed him [Bhindranwale] looking like Bin Laden’.

He said: ‘They used pictures of him wearing a turban and holding a gun. To someone who doesn’t know what Sikhism is about, it would be very misleading.

'Sikhs were attacked after September 11, but Sikhs are nothing to do with Bin Laden.

‘Some people are very upset that the documentary also showed Sonia Deol dancing with Hindus as if there is no problem between Hindus and Sikhs.
‘The feeling is still there that people who were responsible for 1984 have not been brought to justice.’

Ms Deol – who hosts BBC Breakfast at weekends and News 24 bulletins – deleted her Facebook profile onWednesday after the row escalated.

She told fans: ‘Time to shut this fan page down guys. Sorry. I know loadsof you have been superb, but a small minority have not understood what I am/am not in control of personally.’

In her introduction to the film, 36-year-old Ms Deol said Bhindranwale was ‘viewed as a militant who had terrorised for long enough’.

And she interviewed General Kuldip Singh Braer, who commanded the Indian forces that stormed the temple in what was known as Operation Blue Star.

The general, who also comes from a Sikh family, said of Bhindranwale: ‘He may have started out as a saint but he didn’t end as a saint.’

Holy site: The Golden Temple in Amritsar was stormed by the Indian army in 1984

Operation Blue Star is believed to have led to the assassination of Mrs Gandhi, who was killed by two of her Sikh bodyguards four months after the attack.

Her death triggered three days of attacks on Sikhs across India, in which 3,000 people were killed.

A BBC source said Ms Deol’s documentary was never intended to be an investigation, saying: ‘It was her personal journey, a look at her reaction to rediscovering her faith as a Sikh.

‘It was for a mainstream channel, BBC1 and there’s only so much you can say in an hour.

'A lot of the attacks on Sonia have been because people think that the documentary reflected her views on Bhindranwale, but she did not give her opinions about him at all.

'She’s also had a lot of supportive comments.’

A BBC spokeswoman said: ‘1984:A Sikh Story was an authored personal journey through the eyes of a young British Sikh and included a range of contributors offering differing points of view.’
I will say only one thing, We Sikhs are not free from our Own Opninion. NO matter which country you are IN::(

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
:happysingh:IF one cannot stand the HEAT...then one should stay away from the KITCHEN..yeah ??:happysingh:
This 1984 episode is one that touches many sikh hearts...of course there will be "opinions"...some harsh..soem outspoken..some appeasing..some patronising....to each his own....anybody attempting to breach this subject should be aware of this sensitiviites....what did she think..it will all be roses and bouquets ?? stones and thorns are a reality...:happysingh::happysingh: RUNNING away from Facebook...???? a cowardly act !! Should have stayed and Faced the critics via facts....:happysingh::happysingh:

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
She failed to portary who were responsible for the killing of 13 sikhs by Nirankari in 1978 and how safe passage was accorded to the Nirankari Baba? She failed to portary how Nirankari Baba and his goons were attacking Guru Granth Sahib and our Gurus in the heart of Amritsar on that day which forced Bhindrawala to send a peaceful march to their site. First it was Indira Gandhi who trapped Badal to give permission for the samagam. Then it was Badal who for the sake of votes politics allowed this Baba safe passage. Her calculation that dispute will be confined within Bhindrawala and Badal was wrong which prompted the miseries of punjab.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
'XXXX dolly bird faces reality and starts crying, that’s all this programme is, nothing more information than that, shallow programme, govt propaganda allowed to balance with a crying Indian bimbo! Where were the advisors from the movement, the human rights experts or intellectuals (academics) who could have directed these people away from govt wallahs. Waste of our license fee, I want stop giving my license fee!'

He wont, I know, he talks a lot, never gets around to doing anything. He is not on learning zone , so haha

But I asked

‘but surely they exposed army action1 I said

‘Army action! Why didn’t she ask that Brar chap about killing injured people in cold blood, its all in the Justice Tarkunde or civil liberties report of 1984. When doctors were trying to give medical help to the injured young men, the army told the doctor not to worry and shot them at point blank in front of doctor. That doctor ended up in psychiatric hospital. May be BBC though this little dolly bird will also end up there so they didn’t tell her everything.

And if Nazis have been tried for war crimes, why is this Brar not tried? Following orders wasn’t the excuse in Nuremburg. Do Indain army men not have any conscience. Killing their own innocent citizens, is that following orders!

OK , may be they had intern researchers!’ I said and explained interns were University students or school leavers working for a short stint and part time. Needless to say he wasn’t happy that BBC employs interns, although I told him ,that was my supposition.

‘And what about the fact that Indian army trained on a life size model of Darbar sahib for 9months before the attack in some secret place in Bihar! This came out in Sunday Times in UK. So all that propaganda about reason that they needed to stop terrorism from Bhindrawallah who had spoilt the sanctity of Darbar sahib is complete nonsense! They had been planning the attack for 9 xxxxx months. (swear words are not wlloed in this place I think)

Well that was news to me as well and I did some research in british library and lo behold, Indian Army prepared for the attack for 9 months with British SAS tropps training them!! So much for India soul searching for decision to attack and last minute decision! That Brar is a criminal, I think

And I asked, but Bhindrwallah was a Congress monster as they say as independent Mark Tully says.

‘Mark Tully independent and objective! That’s is like those myths of Hindu gods. He is as objective as that American Rumsfold was about Iraq. This man did a better job for India than even Indians themselves. They didn’t have to employ Sachi and Sachi. His wife is Indian. He loves India and he suppressed all the news on police killing innocent people, army killing innocent people. Ask him. He never comes to an open challenge for a debate.’

‘Bhindrawllah used and outwitted Congress. He knew what Congress wanted to do. They got angry for being made fools. Did BBC researchers not know that he was alread campaigning on Anandpur Sahib Matta before congress went to him.

And worst they are suggesting that he started all the trouble just because his parchar papers were burnt. This is a new twist, character assassination! ! You call this objective!!’

I can assure you there were a few stream of swear words by now

Delhi, I asked

‘What Delhi, they interview a senior Army officer and to balance they interview a 18 year young shop assistant. They didn’t even interview Phulka, just showed him planting trees. BBC always do that.

When BBC is biased, they show balance by talkingto the highest and articulate people on the side they want to show bias and then interview some young or inarticulate person on the other side. Govt of India has been showing this since1984 that all educated Sikhs are on its side while uneducated etc youth on the other. BBC showed that as well

Did you know that when BBC showed a small 15 second clip of demolished Akal Takht Sahib in 1984 when India was saying ‘no damage has been done’ BBC offices were gheraoed by mobs organised by Government. BBC started behaving immediately. And later BBC Chairman apologised to India fro objective reporting! So much for BBC and its intern researchers. Wasn’t any Sikh advising BBC?’

After 25 years, despite all the jujharuu organisations, human rights organisations , all academics, that’s all we can do, not even provide a decent advisor or researcher to BBC or contest it. The Muslims did it within 6 months and got the BBC to behave/

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Giani Ji

Last year somewhere in September the moment I realized who the people are entrusted to make this documentary, I sent an email to GLZ that someone is sincere I am ready to finance. No one came forward.

Upon release of this documentary on 12.1.2010, I sent the following email again to GLZ:

When I noticed who the people are getting involved in this humilating and insulting documentary,(and whose gospels are always, 'tadfanai ki izzazt hai, na fariyad ki, ghut ghut kai mar jaon, yeh marzi mere sayyad ki'), and in order to render justice to the victims, I immediately offered to finance [a similar project produced by Sikhs], but no one came forward and the result is now in front of us.
Best regards

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I thought the show was more or less accurate,. I say this as an ex-Bhindranwala supporter.

Lets face it, he was put up by the Congress to split Sikhs, and when he turned on Gandhi (i.e. Bhindranwala realised he had done wrong), they tried to kill him. The thing is BHindranwala fought back like a tiger.

The only objection I had was her understanding of Sikh ideals. Far more important than keeping turban, hair etc, is our own personal conduct. i.e. "Higher than truth is Truthful Living"! She failed there and that is my only gripe.

Saying that if she is getting criticism, then thats fine, she should take it, but there is no need to get abuse.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
I thought the show was more or less accurate,. I say this as an ex-Bhindranwala supporter.

Lets face it, he was put up by the Congress to split Sikhs, and when he turned on Gandhi (i.e. Bhindranwala realised he had done wrong), they tried to kill him. The thing is BHindranwala fought back like a tiger.
There are two mistakes which sant ji made first he took refuge in Akal Takhat which he should not have done. Second he miscalculated the power of politics, media which generated so much hate and never thought that being an Indian, Government will send Tanks and use poisnous gas.

Best regards

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Was that a mistake, or something to get maximum publicity. I think he was pretty politically savvy.

Lets face it, at the time no one paid attention to him.

No No, he had no political ambitions. I met him quite a few times. He was very religious saintly person. Thousands and thousands of people had given up drugs at his call. Even Indira Gandhi was not bad. She loved sikhs. Her all advisers were from aryasamaj and were running press in Jullundur. Many a times compromise had reached with her but these people at the last moment used to let her ditch. Sant Ji never wanted a khalistan, he was only looking for some more rights for sikhs.

Best regards

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
asu i...
we have to use our God Given "faculties" to decide who we believe and who we dont...
Each has his own right of opinion/facts....
For example I beleive this entire drama is a plant by certain vested interests...first they plant a story....then they send in abusive comments by so called sikhs...throw a bone among a pack of dogs and watch the fun !! ( It really doesnt matter that the "bone" is actually made of paper/plastic...the "dogs" are so pavlov trained that they will tear out each others throats over it....and the bone thrower/s than begin/s to think..OH what shall I/we do next....OH..what about another video/article on Dasm Garnth..Nanakshai Calendar..Chandigarh...or shall I arrange another Asutosh Programme..or even ask sauda sadh to have another amrit sanchaar...ahhhhhhhhh so many "paper bones" to throw...and the trick works perfectly everytime !!! (BTW the Sonia Deol Facebook profile is working fine...the withdrawl propoganda story is just another red herring.....)
The TRUTH is really hard to find..even harder than a Needle in s haystack...Raab Raakha when one has so many enemies...both within and without !! as sikhs have:(:(:(

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Japjisahib04 Jio, Gurfateh.

In my most humble opinion you place too much faith in GLZ. Most recent Pakhandi Baba Sukhdev Singh incident which happened in MALAYSIA (where GLZ is based with its founders being Malaysian)....nothing much was done by GLZ to warn the Sikh Sangats..or inform the world wide sangat as to what action the Malaysian Gurdawra Council is taking vis a vis this pakhandee. None of the Letters issued by the Malaysian Gurdawras Council imposing sanctions against the pakhandee Baba in malaysian Gurdwaras were even on GLZ...even though this being a MALAYSIAN HOME GROUND (ZONE) STORY would be the most logical to place emphasis on especially as this is a SRM and Sikhi "Gurmatt" Issue of utmost "learning" experience for Young Sikhs...
IMHO the GLZ have their own priorities....nothing new as almost everyone has theirs...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM