• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Basic Concepts In Islam

naben

SPNer
Feb 18, 2012
Allah
Allah is the name of God. Some people ascribe false attributes to Allah. We Muslims have our knowledge of Allah through what He revealed in the Holy Qura'n or through Prophet Muhammad (e, Salalahu Alihi Wasallam. SAW, peace be upon him).

"Allah, there is no god save Him, the Alive, the Eternal, Neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him. Into Him belongs what so ever is in the heavens and what so ever is in the earth. Who is he that intercedes with Him save by His leave? he knows that which is in front of them and that which is behind them, while they encompass nothing of His knowledge save that He will. His Throne includes the hwavens and the earth, and He is never weary of preserving them. He is the Sublime, the Tremendous "(Qura'n. 2:255).

"All that is in the heavens and earth glorify Allah and He is the Mighty, the Wise. His is the Sovereignty of the heavens and the earth. He ordains life and death and has power over all things. He is the First and the Last and the Inward and the Outward. He has knowledge of all things "(Qura'n. 57:1-4).

"Everything will perish save His countenance. His is the command and unto Him you will be brought back "(Qura'n. 28:88).
"The Originator of the heavens and the earth, when He will a thing He only says unto it" BE "and it is (Qura'n. 2:117)

"And not an atom's weight in the earth or in the heavens escapes your Lord's knowledge; neither is there anything smaller than that or larger, but is recorded in a clear decree" (Qura'n. 10-61).

"He knows what you conceal and what you reveal and God knows well the (secrets) of (all) hearts. (Qura'n. 64:4).
"There is nothing like unto Him" (Qura'n. 42:11).

Angles of Allah
The angels have been created from light, they obey Allah, carryout His will and have no free will, Angel Gibril (Gabriel) for example brought revelations from Allah to Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and other prophets. Other angels record our deeds or carryout other functions.

Books of Allah
Allah revealed Books of guidance through his prophets. Muslims believe in all the Original Books of Allah mentioned in the Qura'n, the Tawrat (Turah of Moses), the Zabur (Psalma of David), the Injil (Gospel) and Suhuf Ibrahim (the Scrollsof Abraham). The Qura'n is the only book of Allah which exists unchanged in its original form. The other Books are not in their original languages and are distorted and mixed with human words. The Qura'n was recorded as soon as it was revealed and was memorised by heart by Muslims.

Messengers of Allah
Allah sent prophets and messengers to show people the right path there is no nation to which Allah did not send a prophet as mentioned the Qura'n (35:24). The name of 25 prophets are mentioned in the Qura'n. Example of these prophets are: Adam, Nuh, Ibrahim, Musa, Isa and Muhammad (Peace be upon them). All prophets and messengers preached Islam i.e. to surrender to the Will of Allah the One who has no partners. Muhammad (SAW) is the seal of prophets (Qura'n 33:40).

Al Qadar
Allah has given man a free will. He does not force man to obey or disobey. Allah, The fact Allah knows what we are going to do does not mean that we do not have free will, knows whether man will obey or disobey.

Akhirah
Life on earth is meant to be a preparation for the Akhirah (life after death) Life is meaningless if people of good actions are not rewarded and people of bad conduct are not punished at the Day of Judgement. Muslim believers will be rewarded for their good actions by admitting them to Janah (Paradise) Wrong-doers and unbelievers will be punished in Annar (Hell Fire).

PILLARS OF ISLAM
In Islam there are five basic duties which Muslims must perform. They are known as the five pillars of Islam (Arkanul Islam). These are: Shahadah, the establishment of prayer (Salah), the payment of Zakah (paying the poor due), the Hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah and Sawm Ramadan (fasting the month of Ramadan).

PILLARS OF FAITH
According to Islam you have to believe in Allah, the Angels of Allah

(Malaikah), the Books of Allah (Kutubullah), the messengers of Allah, (Rusulullah), the Day of Judgement (Yawmuddin), the Supremacy of the Divine Will (Al-Qadâr) and life after death (Akhirah).

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ ੧ ॥
सलोकु मः १ ॥
Salok mėhlā 1.
Shalok, First Mehl:

ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ਕਹਾਵਣੁ ਮੁਸਕਲੁ ਜਾ ਹੋਇ ਤਾ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ਕਹਾਵੈ ॥
मुसलमाणु कहावणु मुसकलु जा होइ ता मुसलमाणु कहावै ॥
Musalmāṇ kahāvaṇ muskal jā ho▫e ṯā musalmāṇ kahāvai.
It is difficult to be called a Muslim; if one is truly a Muslim, then he may be called one.

ਅਵਲਿ ਅਉਲਿ ਦੀਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਮਿਠਾ ਮਸਕਲ ਮਾਨਾ ਮਾਲੁ ਮੁਸਾਵੈ ॥
अवलि अउलि दीनु करि मिठा मसकल माना मालु मुसावै ॥
Aval a▫ul ḏīn kar miṯẖā maskal mānā māl musāvai.
First, let him savor the religion of the Prophet as sweet; then, let his pride of his possessions be scraped away.

ਹੋਇ ਮੁਸਲਿਮੁ ਦੀਨ ਮੁਹਾਣੈ ਮਰਣ ਜੀਵਣ ਕਾ ਭਰਮੁ ਚੁਕਾਵੈ ॥
होइ मुसलिमु दीन मुहाणै मरण जीवण का भरमु चुकावै ॥
Ho▫e muslim ḏīn muhāṇai maraṇ jīvaṇ kā bẖaram cẖukẖāvai.
Becoming a true Muslim, a disciple of the faith of Mohammed, let him put aside the delusion of death and life.

ਰਬ ਕੀ ਰਜਾਇ ਮੰਨੇ ਸਿਰ ਉਪਰਿ ਕਰਤਾ ਮੰਨੇ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਵੈ ॥
रब की रजाइ मंने सिर उपरि करता मंने आपु गवावै ॥
Rab kī rajā▫e manne sir upar karṯā manne āp gavāvai.
As he submits to God's Will, and surrenders to the Creator, he is rid of selfishness and conceit.

ਤਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਰਬ ਜੀਆ ਮਿਹਰੰਮਤਿ ਹੋਇ ਤ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ਕਹਾਵੈ ॥੧॥
तउ नानक सरब जीआ मिहरमति होइ त मुसलमाणु कहावै ॥१॥
Ŧa▫o Nānak sarab jī▫ā mihramaṯ ho▫e ṯa musalmāṇ kahāvai. ||1||
And when, O Nanak, he is merciful to all beings, only then shall he be called a Muslim. ||1|

Nothing in there about infidels or kaffirs......

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Islam means "submission" and it comes from the Arabic root salaam "peace" such that one could translate it as, "the peace which comes from submission" or "the peace which comes from self-surrender to God".

According to the Holy Qur'an, there has been one true religion throughout history Islam.

Conservative Islamic scholars have interpreted this wrongly throughout history as being a triumphalist declaration of Islamic superiority over all other religions.

This understanding has often led to the ludicrous claim that "Abraham, Moses, Jesus" and even Alexander the Great were all Muslims.

Quite the contrary, whenever Islam is used in the Holy Qur'an, it is not an actual religion that is referred to but rather the word submission.

This revelation can radically change one's understanding of Qur'anic ayats (verses) such as the following:

"...He that chooses a religion other than Islam, it will not be accepted of him and in the world to come, he will be one of the lost..."

- Qur'an (3:85)

Such verses as the above are a 'boon' to those who are unflinchingly opposed to Islam and many Muslim ulema do not help the matter by actually interpreting this verse as a declaration of religious supremacy. This verse is substantiated by Hadiths, which are practically all spurious texts, which have Muhammad claim that Islam does refer to the specific religion of Muhammad and that if anyone leaves Islam then he must be killed and that only Islam has truth in it, all other religions are false with even the People of the Book (Jews and Christians) having merely corrupted versions of the true religion. Such rigid - and erroneous - interpretations have caused much suffering for people throughout history.

In fact the word islam in the Arabic of the Qur'an means complete devotion/submission to God, untampered or diluted with idolatry.

As the Qur'anic translator Abdel Haleem writes:

"...Those who read this word islam in the sense of the religion of the Prophet Muhammad will set up a barrier, illegitimately based on this verse, between Islam and other monotheistic religions..."

- Abdel Haleem

Understood in this sense, which is not in line with Orthodox Islam whether Sunni or Shi'a but which is far more faithful to the actual text of the Qur'an, we can see that the belief that there has only been one religion throughout history - that of islam "submission" to God - is not too far from the Catholic understanding of there being one, primordial religion of God to which all people of good will belong:

"...That which is now known as the Christian religion existed among the ancients, and never did not exist; from the beginning of the human race until the time when Christ came in the flesh, at which time the true religion, which already existed began to be called Christianity...For this reason, I said: 'In our times, this is the Christian religion,' not because it did not exist in Former times, but because it had received this name in later times..."

- Saint Augustine of Hippo (354 –430), Church Father and Doctor of the Church, Retractions, Book One, part 12, "One Book on the True Religion"

"...We have been taught that Christ is the first-born of God, and we have declared above that He is the Word [or reason] of whom all mankind partakes. Those who lived reasonably [with the Word] are Christians, even though they have been called atheists. For example: among the Greeks, Socrates, Heraclitus and men like them; among the barbarians [non-Greeks], Abraham...and many others whose actions and names we now decline to recount, because we know it would be tedious...All truth wherever it is found belongs to us as Christians..."

- Justin Martyr (AD 100–165), Early Church Father

Augustine taught that there was one, eternal religion of God and that all the holy people of ancient times - lets think of Socrates, Buddha, Plato, the Hindu Upanishadic sages - were all spiritually speaking members of that religion. He said that it was only with the coming of Christ that this eternal religion became known as Christianity. The church father Saint Justin Martyr (AD 100-165) taught that: "Truth, no matter where it is found, is Christian truth". He said that all godly ancient Greek philosphers such as Socrates and Plato were spiritually speaking Christians; and he extended this even to present times, saying that all good people who follow the truth known to their consciences are spiritual Christians.

The Qur'an helped the Arabs understand this by saying that all people are "muslims" by birth, that is born in a state of submission to God's will which is the primordial religion (also called Ad din in the Qur'an).

Religion is simply self-surrender to the Will of God. That was true religion yesterday, it is true religion today and it will be true religion tommorrow.

Whoever surrenders himself to the Divine Will is a follower of the true religion which in Arabic we call islam. And in this vein Mother Theresa of Calcutta once proclaimed, "I too am a Baha'i, and a Muslim, and a Jew and a Buddhist".

She could say that because true religion is self-surrender to the Will of God.

This is the true meaning of "Islam" as explained in the Holy Granth. Muslims, I pray, will one day awaken to this truth en masse - revealed in their own Holy Book!

The Qur'an teaches that there is only one religion of God throughout history, which is submission to God. In the Arabic language this results in the terms "islam" and "muslims". This is similar to how Saint Paul explained that we are all "Jews" spiritually and not just those who are circumcised members of the actual Jewish faith. The word "Jew" means "to praise God".

Ro 2:29 (NIV) No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man's praise [wordplay on "Jew"] is not from men, but from God.

Paul thus explained that Christians, and by definition all of mankind, are "Jews" if they believe in one God or have a conception of the divine and thus "praise him/it". We are all "God-praisers", spiritual Jews in our hearts. Being a "Jew" is thus not a religion at its most basic level but a state of existence, in which the soul sings praise to the one God. All people are thus called to be and are "Jews". Pius XI continued to make his position clear, both in Mit brennender Sorge and in a public address in the Vatican to Belgian pilgrims in 1938: "Mark well that in the Catholic Mass, Abraham is our Patriarch and forefather. Anti-Semitism is incompatible with the lofty thought which that fact expresses. It is a movement with which we Christians can have nothing to do. No, no, I say to you it is impossible for a Christian to take part in anti-Semitism. It is inadmissible. Through Christ and in Christ we are the spiritual progeny of Abraham. Spiritually, we are all Jews"

In a similar vein the Qur'an is correct to say that we are all Muslims but sadly most Muslims misunderstand this crucial concept!

kaurhug

Last edited:

naben

SPNer
Feb 18, 2012
Respected members
You are talking about the meaning of the word (Islam) in Arabic
But
The rest of your own is just plain wrong

Muhammad peace be upon him
after the mission
a prophet and a messenger does not speak on his own, but a revelation from God through Gabriel so what he says or does Mohammed is amazing facts and things said about it will occur in the future have occurred, therefore, make all recognized

Islam
Religion of the final
And the law of God
In the ground for people
God says in the Holy Qur'an
3.. This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.
Surah Al-Ma'idah

Narated By 'Aisha : (The mother of the faithful believers) The commencement of the Divine Inspiration to Allah's Apostle was in the form of good dreams which came true like bright day light, and then the love of seclusion was bestowed upon him. He used to go in seclusion in the cave of Hira where he used to worship (Allah alone) continuously for many days before his desire to see his family. He used to take with him the journey food for the stay and then come back to (his wife) Khadija to take his food like-wise again till suddenly the Truth descended upon him while he was in the cave of Hira. The angel came to him and asked him to read. The Prophet replied, "I do not know how to read." The Prophet added, "The angel caught me (forcefully) and pressed me so hard that I could not bear it any more. He then released me and again asked me to read and I replied, 'I do not know how to read.' Thereupon he caught me again and pressed me a second time till I could not bear it any more. He then released me and again asked me to read but again I replied, 'I do not know how to read (or what shall I read)?' Thereupon he caught me for the third time and pressed me, and then released me and said, 'Read in the name of your Lord, who has created (all that exists) has created man from a clot. Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous.' (96.1, 96.2, 96.3) Then Allah's Apostle returned with the Inspiration and with his heart beating severely. Then he went to Khadija bint Khuwailid and said, Cover me! Cover me! They covered him till his fear was over and after that he told her everything that had happened and said, "I fear that something may happen to me." Khadija replied, "Never! By Allah, Allah will never disgrace you. You keep good relations with your Kith and kin, help the poor and the destitute, serve your guests generously and assist the deserving calamity-afflicted ones." Khadija then accompanied him to her cousin Waraqa bin Naufal bin Asad bin 'Abdul 'Uzza, who, during the PreIslamic Period became a Christian and used to write the writing with Hebrew letters. He would write from the Gospel in Hebrew as much as Allah wished him to write. He was an old man and had lost his eyesight. Khadija said to Waraqa, "Listen to the story of your nephew, O my cousin!" Waraqa asked, "O my nephew! What have you seen?" Allah's Apostle described whatever he had seen. Waraqa said, "This is the same one who keeps the secrets (angel Gabriel) whom Allah had sent to Moses. I wish I were young and could live up to the time when your people would turn you out." Allah's Apostle asked, "Will they drive me out?" Waraqa replied in the affirmative and said, "Anyone (man) who came with something similar to what you have brought was treated with hostility; and if I should remain alive till the day when you will be turned out then I would support you strongly." But after a few days Waraqa died and the Divine Inspiration was also paused for a while. Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah Al-Ansari while talking about the period of pause in revelation reporting the speech of the Prophet "While I was walking, all of a sudden I heard a voice from the sky. I looked up and saw the same angel who had visited me at the cave of Hira' sitting on a chair between the sky and the earth. I got afraid of him and came back home and said, 'Wrap me (in blankets).' And then Allah revealed the following Holy Verses (of Quran): 'O you (i.e. Muhammad)! wrapped up in garments!' Arise and warn (the people against Allah's Punishment),... up to 'and desert the idols.' (74.1-5) After this the revelation started coming strongly, frequently and regularly."​
Sahih al-Bukhary, The Book of Revelation, Hadith Number:3, Narrated by: Lady Aisha Bint-Abu-Bakr

-"...He that chooses a religion other than Islam, it will not be accepted of him and in the world to come, he will be one of the lost..."

- Qur'an (3:85)
In this matter
Clear as the sun
For the Muslim and non-Muslim
This fundamental rule

86. But those who disbelieved and belied Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), they shall be the dwellers of the (Hell) Fire.

Surah Al-Ma'idah

allah says in the Holy Qur'an

157. Those who follow the Messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write (i.e.Muhammad
C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ca@b@z%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif
) whom they find written with them in the Taurat (Torah) (Deut, xviii, 15) and the Injeel (Gospel) (John xiv, 16), - he commands them for Al-Ma'ruf (i.e. Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam has ordained); and forbids them from Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism of all kinds, and all that Islam has forbidden); he allows them as lawful At-Taiyibat [(i.e. all good and lawful) as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, etc.], and prohibits them as unlawful Al-Khaba'ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, etc.), he releases them from their heavy burdens (of Allah's Covenant), and from the fetters (bindings) that were upon them. So those who believe in him (Muhammad
C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ca@b@z%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif
), honour him, help him, and follow the light (the Qur'an) which has been sent down with him, it is they who will be successful.
Surah Al-A'raf

From Abu Hurayrah, the Messenger of Allah peace be upon him, he said, "and that the soul of Muhammad in his hand, does not listen to me one of this nation a Jew, or Christian, then die not believe in Him who sent it, but it was the owners of the fire."

This is something completely for granted

33. We know indeed the grief which their words cause you (O Muhammad
saws.gif
): it is not you that they deny, but it is the Verses (the Qur'an) of Allah that the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers) deny.

Surah Al-An'am

allah guided you

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM