• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Balance

stacia

SPNer
Aug 12, 2010
I actually initially stumbled upon this website while seeking an answer to a question that I posed to a friend. My friend was raised a Sikh but, spending most of his childhod in England, Christianity was taught in the schols and his family was not overly devout so he was unable to answer.

Incidentally, I have not yet found the answer but ..... I am loving the deep, well written discussions an the wealth of information here. I am learning a great deal from all of you and the faith that has intrigued me for a long time is becoming much more captivating as I learn.

So, back to my question:
Is there, in the Sikh philosophy, a dark force to counter the light of God? Christianity has Satan, the total opposite of God's goodness. Is it possible to not have a dark side to balance the light? Like the theory of relativity states that every action must have an equal opposite reaction must not every good have an equal bad?

I would appreciate any information. :angeldevil: thanks!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
stacia ji

There is nothing like a "dark force" similar to a satan. There is ik oankar, which/who is a single, eternal, all pervading, indivisible, all powerful, and unbreakable power. Only the One. An eternal reality who does not have, how could the One have, competitors or detractors.

The theory of relativity is true, but is true only within the human realm of understanding (karamkhand). It is humankind's more recent level of comprehension, which embraces ideas of duality and balance, and which does not equal the realm of divine understanding (sachkhand) where duality is absent.

Though guru (as in Waheguru, Satguru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib) means the light that dispels darkness, being in darkness suggests waiting to see the light.

stacia

SPNer
Aug 12, 2010
Dear Narayanjot*Kaur, thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I have often wondered if in fact the only real darkness resides inside the hearts and minds of mankind. I've pondered the idea that perhaps "Satan" is only a personification of all the horrible things that humans are capable of. A scapegoat even so they can deny personal responsibility and say "the devil made me do it" .....

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: