• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Opinion Badal Endorses Former DGP Accused Of Fake Encounters

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Badal endorses former DGP accused of fake encounters

I P Singh, TNN - Oct 29, 2011, 04.37PM IST

JALANDHAR : Chief minister Prakash Singh Badal has overlooked the allegations that former DGP Mohammad Izhar Alam was involved in killing of several innocent Sikh youth during militancy in Punjab and appointed him in-charge of Malerkota constituency for the assembly elections.

Shiromani Akali Dal's (SAD) key ally Damdami Taksal led Sant Samaj has alleged that Alam was responsible for serious human rights violations including killing of innocent youth. However, the chief minister feigned ignorance about these allegations.

"I am not aware of anything against Alam. I have never heard anything against Alam that he was involved in killing of innocents. Show me some evidence against him," Badal said while defending Alam's proposed candidature from Malerkotla. When pointed out that Damdami Taksal led Sant Samaj had even demanded Alam's prosecution, visibly uncomfortable Badal retorted that no one had pointed out this to him before. He was speaking to media after holding Sangat Darshan here.

Damdami Taksal chief Harnam Singh Dhuma, who also heads the Sant Samaj, had publicly levelled the allegations against Alam. "We oppose his candidature and will keep on opposing it in future also," Dhuma had told TOI. Sant Samaj supported SAD in the SGPC election and has now announced its support to it for the assembly elections too.

A US cable sent from the US embassy in New Delhi in 2005 mentioned Alam and his "Alam Sena" which the cable said staged encounter killings in Punjab. The cable, which has been exposed by WikiLeaks, said Alam assembled a large, personal paramilitary force of approximately 150 men known as the "Black Cats" or "Alam Sena" ("Alam's Army") that included cashiered police officers and rehabilitated Sikh terrorists. The group had its reach throughout Punjab and is alleged to have had carte blanche in carrying out possibly thousands of staged "encounter killings."

source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...d-of-fake-encounters/articleshow/10530637.cms

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM