• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Nature Bad News For Vegetarians! Plants Can ‘hear’ Themselves Being Eaten - And Become Defensive When Attac

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Though it is out of subject, but please permit me to cite an example how we mis-interprete and emulate gurbani:

ਰਾਖਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਹਮ ਤੇ ਬਿਗਰੀ ॥
Save me! I have disobeyed/broken relationship with You.
ਸੀਲੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਜਪੁ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਨੀ ਹਉ iਅਭਿਮਾਨ ਟੇਢ ਪਗਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
I have not practiced humility, righteousness or devotional worship; I am proud and egotistical, and I have taken a crooked path. ||1||Pause||

Literal interpretation reveals bhagat kabir is requesting God to protect him as he has taken a crooked path and is not following humility, righteousness. I wonder on one hand gurbani tells me that God is antarjami and declares, 'ਵਿਣੁ ਬੋਲਿਆ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਜਾਣਦਾ ਕਿਸੁ ਆਗੈ ਕੀਚੈ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ॥ then why was he narrating his miseries to God. Similarly I have noticed same hypocracy is being practiced in our gurdwaras where collectively or individually, we insist that our name is announced in ardas for the purpose of donation contrary to the teachings of gurbani.

When I looked at the whole sabd and this pankti, I realized 'bigree' over here does not stand for break-up of relationship with God but bhagatjee is referring to imbalance between manh and body organs while observing his behavior like, 'manh hor mukh horr'. Therefore, he is requesting his sensory organs and manh to create a balance by merging negative thoughts with positive thought and break the wall of ignorance and as gurbani says, 'ਹੋਇ ਇਕਤ੍ਰ ਮਿਲਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਦੂਰਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ॥ unite and weave in one thread to be sachiar. This is the art of religion how to balance between negative and positive thoughts to be sachiar.

You can judge the difference in depth of gurbani.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
This would seem to suggest that plants can experience suffering??

"First Mehl:
Look, and see how the sugar-cane is cut down. After cutting away its branches, its feet are bound together into bundles, and then, it is placed between the wooden rollers and crushed. What punishment is inflicted upon it! Its juice is extracted and placed in the cauldron; as it is heated, it groans and cries out. And then, the crushed cane is collected and burnt in the fire below. Nanak: come, people, and see how the sweet sugar-cane is treated!"
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Page 142-143

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM