• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Awe - Waheguru

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Ishna ji,
My intention is not to accuse you but point out the importance of the word Fear and the importance of the feeling itself. Focus on the rest of the post.

Lucky Singh ji,
While you are right to a point out that we should fear connection or fear doing wrongful action, I am talking about fear of God.

Fear of something God does is not fear of God himself. Although fear of something God does is a good start, it's getting close but it's not there exactly.

Gyani ji,
We do believe in Mantras.
"practice of taking a single word and mouthing it repeatedly as a gurmantar"
is "to always Hold Him in highest regard...a Sikhs head ONLY bows to HIM..."

There's absolutely no difference between those. It's like a Mother thinking about her child, she is constantly in repetition. Her mind is chanting the name of her child. Sikhs are no different, we chant the name of God moment to moment to remember him and to RECOGNIZE him every moment.

Why do you think that the Guru repeatedly writes Har har Har? ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹੇਤ ॥ - (810, Guru Arjan)

You are making it too easy. lol

Guru repeatedly writes Har, Har, Har, Har etc and also uses combinations of God words of may kinds.
Yes the Guru meditates on Har. Waheguru is no different to Har. The Brahmins who praise the Guru in SGGS describes Waheguru (Wah Guru, wonderful teacher) very much like Har [link]. The Guru (Guru Ramdas ji) is seen as an incarnation of Har, thus not separate to Him.

Bhai Gurdas ji's Vaars explains that in this age of Kalyug it is "Waheguru" mantra that will carry one across. He takes the role of a Sikh who sees his Guru as an "Extension" of Har (if you are not comfortable with incarnation), and that's why him and millions of Sikhs chant Waheguru.

Why this restriction ? Why can we not meditate on any God-word as Guru does ?
It's not a restriction. You can. You can Meditate on Hari if you want. It's the same thing.

Why follow the teachings of Bhai Gurdas if these contradict the Guru Granth Sahib ?
They don't. Period. You haven't accepted half the teachings in SGGS (such as mantras) and thus you don't see how Bhai Gurdas fits into the teachings.

YET NONE of that poetry was given a place in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji
Bhai Gurdas ji asked Guru Arjan to not include any of of his writings in the Guru Granth Sahib. Guru Arjan Dev ji then gave them the status of Kunji, the key to unlocking SGGS. [link]

This is very much true because both Bhai Gurdas I and Bhai Gurdas II give us the background to SGGS. The concepts are explained clearly and to the point. His writings are valuable simply because he is a contemporary of Guru Arjan Dev ji as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
They don't. Period. You haven't accepted half the teachings in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji (such as mantras) and thus you don't see how Bhai Gurdas fits into the teachings.

Bhagat Ji..there are Bhagats and there are Jarnails...you are a Bhagat..and I am NOT..so maybe you get more out of SGGS than me..who knows...because Bhagats generally DO ACCEPT more teachings than Generals.....esp Mantras...lollol

I DONT swalllow SikhWiki hook line and sinker..I have my own criteria...and sourceslollol

Bhai gurdass does...Contradict SGGS..But you are entitled to your views...

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Haha you know there's probably some truth to that.

I thought I'd make it look more credible with a wikipedia link :p. Khushwant Singh also mentions it in his book referencing other historians I believe. And then there's the belief amongst the common Sikh populace.

Do share the Vaar numbers where you think he contradicts SGGs, besides Mantras.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM