• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Average Jatt Sikh Male Height 5' 7"

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I do not think that bravery has got anything to do with lineage, caste or the religion that one is born into. It just the motivation towards a cause that a leader or a Guru is able to instill in his protege that matters.
Our Gurus were able to instill superlative qualities in their Sikhs through stirring Bani and personal example irrespective whether the person was a Shudra, Brahmin, Bania, Khatri or a Jatt.
Alas among the contemporary Sikhs we do not have worthy persons who can carry the spirit of Gurbani through personal example. that explains our plight.
But as an optimist, I believe that this vacuum will not last forever. Gurbani is bound to find a target on some highly gifted spirited and energetic soul to carry forward its immortal task.

I agree that caste or lineage has nothing to do with martial quality ,but religion has to do with it.For example is it possible for Jain who has never killed an insect to go in battlefield and kill humans and see blood?

ik-jivan

SPNer
May 3, 2010
Re: Average Jatt Sikh Male Height - 5' 7"

Kanwardeep Singh ji,
Interestingly, the Pashtuns are the founders and the largest ethnic group within Afghanistan. Back in 330 BC, Alexander the Great wrote this about them:
"I am involved in the land of a 'Leonine' (lion-like) and brave people, where every foot of the ground is like a wall of steel, confronting my soldier. You have brought only one son into the world, but everyone in this land can be called an Alexander,"
We know the people of Afghanistan were not Islamic back then, so that means the Afghan marshal tendencies have a basis other than religion. The article also states:
"The history of the Pashtun people is ancient, and much of it is not fully researched. Since the 2nd millennium BC, cities in the region now inhabited by Pashtuns have seen invasions and migrations, including by early Aryan tribes,[28][29] the Median and Persian empires of antiquity, Greeks, Mauryas, Kushans, Hephthalites, Sassanids, Arab Muslims and successive Muslim kingdoms, Mongols, and possibly others. In recent age, people of the Western world have explored the area but the Pashtun region has never been conquered by any group."
The Pashtun are considered an Iranian people, who are of the
Haplogroup R1a1 (Y-DNA).

With regard to West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh, keep in mind that ‘marshal tendencies’ don’t necessarily equate to a ‘deadliest fighter’ quality. It can also be expressed in general unrest, such as violence and crime and we do know that both Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal are hotbeds of criminal activity in India.

Of course, I am not biased toward any particular group of people. The R1 haplogroup is very widespead. Rather, my intention is to identify the underlying cause for aggressive, domineering behaviour. I don’t think it is religion. Although religion may be cited as the reason for offensive incursions, so has commercial exploitation and now even humanitarian liberation! When we saw the Indian Independence Movement peoples of all three major Indian religions resisted the commercial intrusion/religious degradation of the British. So religious and commercial exploitation are how the tendency is expressed, but not the cause of the tendency.

Whatever the ‘fight factor’ is, if it isn’t genetic predisposition, it is what causes religion – a word that means ‘return to unity’ – to be used as a reason for wars and oppression. I think the hunt for the 'fight factor' is a worthy cause. We – all humanity – need to figure out how to manage conflict better. I'm sure we can both agree on this point. : )

Chardi Kala!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Well you have not answered my question if Afghani or even Persians were so brave then why they all converted to islam? I don't expect any brave tribe or ethnicity to give up its religion.

coming to your other point west bengal and Up are hotbeds of crime but reason is mass poverty and caste.Infact majority of dacoits or thieves are from lower castes and not brahmins and as mentioned in wiki R1a is found in Brahmins.Let me tell you one more thing Brahmins of UP are neither considered as brave or voilent on the other hand they are dominating jobs in Govt services and private sectors,so they are very much in education

ik-jivan

SPNer
May 3, 2010
Kanwardeep Singh ji,
Well there are reasons, other than force, for which the Pashtuns may have converted.
  1. They might have had a visit from a very convincing person, like Guru Nanak Dev ji, who gave them reason to believe the message of the Islamic dispensation
  2. They might have been economically persuaded, like the Spanish, when the Romans brought them public libraries, beautiful gardens and other developments
  3. They may have been like the French and English, who sought military assistance from the Romans in defense against the Franks and converted out of allegiance and the need for continued protection
Who knows why they converted, but if the ‘Pashtun region has never been conquered by any group’, then it is clear the reason for conversion was not forced assimilation, so their bravery might not have been a deciding factor for or against.

To your other point, you have hit on the key ingredient that eradicates violence, poverty and religious fanaticism – EDUCATION. The Brahmins of UP have both secular and spiritual education.

Chardi Kala!

Oct 16, 2009
Re: Average Jatt Sikh Male Height - 5' 7"

Actually, this IS properly quoted and was something noticed by Major A E Barstow of the British Army.

After this, Turbaned Amritdhari Sikh Jatts were given privileged over their non-Sikh brethren. Its a fact. They were simply braver, and better soldiers, and that was due to their religion, Sikhism. Please research it my young friend :).

Another thing to note is, the word Jat (as used by the British), because synonymous with Sikh, therefore some old texts by the British, state Jatt or Jat-Sikh, when they are referring to Sikhs of all background. It was only Barstow (and others) that tried to map the differences.

My family (who are a farming landowning caste), are often (and were in the past), confused with Jats. Maybe it was our aggressive temperament icecreammunda. I have spoken to others who have had the same treatment.

As I have stated earlier, there were not significant numbers of non-Sikh Tarkhans, Khatri's etc in Punjab to warrant the raising of regiments, whereas non_Sikh Jatts there were plenty of.

There are plenty of other non-Sikh regiments eg, Dogras, Rajputs, Labana even Brahmins etc.

Dear Randip Singh,
I must say you have a lot of confidence but your confidence does not comprehend your knowledge atleast about the Indian army.
i have a lot of "professionals" in my family and i will be one of them in the coming years you know what i mean. i grew up watching all that which you are asking me to "research"

swordfight

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM