Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Judaism Ask Me About Judaism

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by xkatz, Apr 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. xkatz

xkatz
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Since I am most likely the only Jewish person here feel free to ask questions about Judaism. I will try my best to give an accurate, non-sectarian answer.

2. Loading...

3. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

xkatz ji welcome to spn and your post.

I do not know why, but I admire Jewish culture, people and their achievements.

I have couple of questions as follows,

• Sikhism believes in one creator/God and encourages contextually understanding and living in consonance with such creation.
      • What does Judaism say or guide in this respect?
    • Sikhism believes in equality of all before the creator/God and emphasizes the same where our Gurus taught us to treat them as one of all around. Yes they had and shared great wisdom. So basically we Sikhs don't have a concept of messengers of God, exclusivity of the same and the like.
      • What does Judaism say or guide in this respect?
    Thanks.

Sat Sri Akal.peacesign

4. xkatz

xkatz
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Essentially the same thing. It is important to recognize, understand, and try to preserve G-d's creation(s).

Jewish people believe that they were "chosen" to recieve G-d's message (via the Hebrew prophets), HOWEVER that does NOT mean we are any better than other people (and most Jews don't think so!). It also, in my opinion, does not mean that he gave similar messages to other peoples ;) It's probable some men in 15th Punjab got the message too (though a bit later) :D

Sat sri akal ji!

• Like Like x 3
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Welcome x-katz ji

I too appreciate your willingness to answer questions about Judaism. We try to update our interfaith dialogs as often as we can regarding the Jewish faith. There are some good articles there that challenge so many of the common stereotypes.

Enjoy your stay. welcomekaur Make it your forum too.

6. Seeker9

Seeker9 United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Cleverness is not wisdom
    SPNer Supporter

Dear x-katz Ji

Welcome to the best forum on the web and thanks for your kind offer to help us learn more about your faith

I was just wondering...it has been said that there are some instances in the Old Testament where G-d has been depicted as being a bit fearsome, a bit wrathful and vengeful

Just wondering what your views are on this?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  7. xkatz

xkatz
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Seeker9 ji,
    I'm very glad you asked this question. First let me start off by saying in Judaism, there is no dualism (ie Satan vs G-d, good vs evil), in fact, in Judaism, what Christians/Muslims call Satan is in fact, an agent of G-d! G-d, being the supreme being of the universe, is the source of everything- "good" and "bad". Anyways, He also does things that we consider strange (ie the massacre of first-borns in Egypt). However, I believe we often see these things as intrinsically good or bad, which they aren't meant to be. G-d, to an extent, is far beyond human comprehension, throughout the Tanakh (and scriptures of other faiths), people who "see" G-d are so overwhelmed by what they "see" they are overcome with fear. I think something similar applies here- while some may see G-d at times acting "wrathful", I think there is something more to it that we as humans simply cannot comprehend due to our limitations. I hope that answers your questions.

• Like Like x 3
  8. findingmyway

findingmyway
    Expand Collapse

xkatz ji,
    Thank you for allowing this exchange. I recently went to a Jewish museum and they worked through what happens in the weekly service. We were showed a Torah scroll adn told how a portion is read each week so the whole is completed over the year. My question is if its just a reading or whether the meaning is also explained?
    Thanks gingerteakaur

• Like Like x 2
  9. xkatz

xkatz
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Usually, the meaning is explained in addition to the portion. However, the explanation of a portion might differ by a synagogue's affiliation (reform, conservative, orthodox) or sometimes even by individual rabbis.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seeker9

Seeker9 United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Cleverness is not wisdom
    SPNer Supporter

Dear Xkatz Ji

Thanks for the explanation

I have often thought about this. How the God of the OT and the NT are so different. I guess as a parent sometimes warns a child so they do not go astray, if you put "the fear of God" into a person, that person is more likely to follow "God's path."

But I will confess some of the things I have read are still a bit unsettling.....

• Like Like x 1
    #9 Seeker9, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  11. kds1980

kds1980 India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Only 1 questio .Why Jews were and still are hated by muslims and Christians.From long time these 2 Religions have been persecuting Jews.

12. xkatz

xkatz
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

There are a multitude of reasons.

1) The Jewish communities of the time(s) rejected Jesus and Muhammad as Messiah and Prophet respectively
    2) These groups had historical conflicts (a good example is Muhammad fighting against the Jewish tribes of Arabia)
    3) Stereotypes
    4) Nationalism (ie Israel vs Palestine)

That said, certainly not all Muslims or Christians hate Jews. I have some really good friends that are devout Christians and I know some good Muslim people. It's a very complex relationship between Judaism and the latter two religions. It's much like the relationship Sikhism has with Hinduism and Islam ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. kds1980

kds1980 India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

But still Zionist conspiracy theories are everywhere.Even the Nazis which were non religious hated Jews .Is it because Jews were always capitalist businessmen so workers use to hate them?

14. xkatz

xkatz
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Not all Jews were businessmen but they were successful so your hypothesis is probable but TBH I am not completely certain.

15. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār

xkatz ji thanks for answering my questions. I flagged in Red my comments if you want to clarify or elaborate or otherwise response.

Shalom and Sat Sri Akal.

16. xkatz

xkatz
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Just to clarify the last part was mostly sarcasm I don not literally believe that Guru Nanak Dev or any of the other Gurus got a 'message' from G-d like in Judaism necessarily.