• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Ashdoc's Movie Review---the Finest Hours

ashdoc

Movie Critic
SPNer
Jul 19, 2011
After 'Point Break' this is the second movie I have seen in the 4DX format . And straightway I must say that the experience was even better than last time . This time the movie was set in a storm in the middle of the sea in cold weather . So whenever the ship rocked or the sea itself was rolling because of the waves , not only the seat swayed and rocked but the endeavour was to make the experience more real and to make the audience feel how the crew was feeling out there . So blasts of supercool air were blasted at us while the seat rocked and I had to unroll my shirt's rolled sleeves to keep the biting cold off my arms . As lightning lit up the screen , flashes of bright white light lit up the whole theatre . When fires broke out on the ships , the flashes of light turned yellow . As the sea waves sent sprays of water on the ships , mist was fired from canisters in the theatre . Imagine sitting on a rocking and swaying seat with flashes of bright light filling up the theatre and blasts of supercooled air being fired and mist being fired from canisters---the experience was coming close to being on a ship in the middle of a storm . As the end of the movie neared I was feeling slightly nauseated because of the swaying and rocking of the seat as the sea rolled in front on the screen---I was having a mild version of motion sickness , as if I was on a real ship caught in a seastorm . The 4DX experience is costlier however , as tickets were priced double that of the same movie's non 4DX shows in the same theatre even though the non 4DX shows were all 3D .

So onto the story . This is based on a real life incident that happened in 1952 . A crewman of the coast guard ( played by Chris Pine ) gets proposed to by a girl ( played by Holliday Grainger ) and after initial hesitation he accepts the proposal , even though he gets taunted by his mates that the girl is 'wearing the pants in the house' because she is the one who proposed first . He is such a stickler to the rules that he goes next day to actually ask the permission of his boss to get married . But the same day a storm breaks out and he is sent on a rescue mission by his boss to save the crew of a tanker which has run aground and broken in half after being caught in the storm .

So will he and his men manage to save the crew ?? Watch the movie for that .

The movie creates an atmosphere of layers of snow on land to the extent that the countryside has gone white . On the sea the situation is even worse . Giant waves roll the sea and lash at the ships in howling winds . The sailors are all drenched . Because of the terrible atmospheric conditions , the spectre of death by drowning haunts both the rescuers and the ones to be rescued . So much so that the leading actor's girl implores his boss to turn him back from what seems to be a suicide mission of saving the men on the ship that has run aground---something that would seal the fate of the crewmen of the stranded ship . The boss himself receives taunts that he is new to the area and does not understand the risk of sending the men on a rescue mission in such weather . On board the ship to be saved the water level is rising and the men on the brink of tragedy . Yet they do not lose hope . But the rescue boat has capacity to hold only 12 men while the men to be saved number 36 . As the yellow floodlight of the rescue boat searches the sea , the compass goes off as a huge wave crashes the boat and nearly turns it upside down . The situation is really grim....

The seafaring world is largely a man's world , but the emotion in the movie is increased by the worries of the women who anxiously wait for their men on the shore . And the both are much needed in the movie---both the emotion and above all the women....

Acting by everyone is realistic enough . Photography and special effects in the movie are decent , but 3D is disappointing . What rocks is 4DX . In fact I wonder if those who don't watch the movie in 4DX will enjoy it as much as I did .

Verdict---Decent.

Three stars .

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM