• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Movies Ashdoc's Movie Review---Finding Fanny ( English Version )

ashdoc

Movie Critic
SPNer
Jul 19, 2011
The partly Christian state of Goa in India ; the Christian population being a legacy of Portuguese colonialism---where people lead laidback carefree lives amidst the idyll of nature....

......And in the interior of Goa is a village called Pocolim---a place that development has forgotten , a place where the people are has-beens ; life has just passed them by....

And in Pocolim live the five main characters of the movie---all good people by nature , but also good for nothing.....all waiting for something to fill up the emptiness in their lives....

There's the lovely Angie ( played by Deepika Padukone ) , whose husband had died years ago just immediately after her wedding and left her a virgin widow....

Her mother in law Rosalina '' Rosie ''( played by Dimple Kapadia ) , who tries to put a brave front inspite of the loss of her son and the elopement of her husband with another girl.....Shh , did I let a secret out by talking about his elopement---a fact the hurts Rosie's ego so much that she refuses to admit it...

And there's Rosie's admirer Don Pedro ( played by Pankaj Kapoor ) , who openly lusts for Rosie's body and is ever willing to get close to her....

Angie has an admirer too , in Savio ( played by Arjun Kapoor )---the man who never summoned the courage to admit his love and thus forced her to marry her now dead husband....

But the emptiness of this pointless existence is broken by the wailing in the middle of the night by the fifth character in the movie---Ferdie ( played by Naseerusddin Shah ) , who has just received back the letter he had written to his sweetheart over 46 years ago proposing to her....the letter it seems , never reached her and he has lived for 46 years thinking that she rejected him....the sweetheart's name is Stefanie but she was fondly called Fanny....

Isn't it too late to think about sweethearts of 46 years ago and letters posted decades back ?? Apparently people in Pocolim have nothing else in their bare lives and the main characters take the issue rather seriously....

So Angie takes the lead in organizing a expedition to the village where Fanny used to live , and five characters hop onto a cranky old car to find Fanny.....

.....Or are they really finding Fanny ?? Or is it really about bringing colour to their dull colourless existence....

All five really have plans to rev up their lives by finding somebody to pair up with , but everyone has such a big ego that no one wants to admit it at first....

You can only wish these genteel folks the best of luck in finding Fanny....err...actually finding their goal in life , which is love what else....

But there is a big problem , ladies and gentlemen.....for the ladies are 2 and the gentlemen are 3 !! So one of the men will have to pop out of the race....!!

So how will he pop out ??
And do they really succeed in finding Fanny after all these years ??
How come a letter that was posted 46 years ago come back unopened decades later ??

Watch the movie for the answers , but the answers when they come out---they are frankly underwhelming !! Nothing to really to make much ado about !!
The exception to this is the popping out of the race of the third extra gent--that part is interesting....

But is the destination more important than the journey ?? Is not the journey worth it ??
If your expectations are not too high then the journey can be worth it---watching the movie is not money badly spent....

For as the search for Fanny intensifies it manages to raise quite a few laughs and titters.....

Deepika Padukone ( Angie ) looks sweet and fresh and with skin as fair as lilies washed with fragrant water , especially because she exposes her flesh wearing backless dresses and short skirts.....and I woudn't mind converting to Christianity and living an empty life in a remote corner of Goa if I found somebody as enchanting as her.....

Dimple Kapadia ( Rosie ) is like old wine---and just like old wine tastes well Dimple fits perfectly into the role of a doughty mother in law who loves her drink and her cat as much as she loves to keep up in splits with her antics in the movie....

The men act well too , and Pankaj Kapoor is funny as Don Pedro . But forgive me for being partial to the women---I just have a liking for them....

And because the women are good enough in the movie , I found myself interested in watching it....

Verdict---Decent enough .

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: