• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

As A Sikh Do You Ever Ask When Hurting Or Feeling Low, God/Creator, Why Me?

How you cope spiritually and in your mind to negative feelings?

• I believe it is Karma from many lives before that I am paying for.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I believe I am just reaping what I sow in this life.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Up/down is being human and creator is neither partial nor vengeful.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I am thankful for what I have versus be sorry for what is not perfect.

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
SAT SRI AKAAL,

Word which one can not imagine is just read/written/spoken,
one should be able to imagine to know word,
and than imagination which can not be realised is not real (SAT), but just "EGO" one's own mind's thought creation. Experience SAT or Real

What is word "SOUL" and "SPIRIT"? Sat of these words.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
why to further my knowledge of course, if I am able to adopt one of your images as my icon, then to know more about the brain that thought up the image surely cannot hinder my development, and it is not 'the' but yours :), and only in reference to spiritual evolution,

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
SAT SRI AKAAL,

Word which one can not imagine is just read/written/spoken,
one should be able to imagine to know word,
and than imagination which can not be realised is not real (SAT), but just "EGO" one's own mind's thought creation. Experience SAT or Real

What is word "SOUL" and "SPIRIT"? Sat of these words.

ji, I always though of Sikhism as the one religion where simplicity rules, although I love your posts, as they make me think, but the thoughts are so ambiguous to be of any assistance at times, :sippingcoffeemunda:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Well, you'll start contemplating it and so what good is that to me when my intent is to quite your mind?
Have a look at this painting, I think it maybe the path of least contemplation.
reincarnation.jpg

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
ji, I always though of Sikhism as the one religion where simplicity rules, although I love your posts, as they make me think, but the thoughts are so ambiguous to be of any assistance at times, :sippingcoffeemunda:

Harry Ji,

Soul and spirit are not fancy words,
its light and sound in the matter,
as in humans.
Each life is union of soul and spirit, contained in matter.

One reads genetic tape with inner light and gives expression (written/vocal/symbolic etc)

Get one word to realise world

Its very simple as "GURU's BANI"

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
My mind is quite made up my dear brother on the whole subject of reincarnation, yesterday I read a huge article on men that change sex to women, I learned quite a lot, however, I have no intention of changing sex myself, it is understanding, not contemplation I seek, the only thing I contemplate is Creator

However, your painting speaks more than words, thank you for sharing kaurhug

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Ravneetji

In the same way that I find little common ground with Confusedji, on account of the revolving of huge amounts of philosophy around Karma, could you tell me what your opinion is of what happens on death to this soul and spirit?

many thanks

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
When I die, I am dust, if anything other than that were to take place, Balle Balle, but I live my life on the basis of that concept

Just so we have relevance to the thread, I think it is important to see things either as a single lifetime, or multiple ones, when asking the question asked in the title

Oct 21, 2009
India
Bhagat ji,
I think it addresses the question to a great extent. The Journey of soul continues along with all that it has accumulated.....Let us enjoy ourselves the shabad.

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥
गउड़ी महला १ ॥
Ga▫oṛī mėhlā 1.
Gauree, First Mehl:

ਪਉਣੈ ਪਾਣੀ ਅਗਨੀ ਕਾ ਮੇਲੁ ॥
पउणै पाणी अगनी का मेलु ॥
Pa▫uṇai pāṇī agnī kā mel.
The union of air, water and fire -

ਚੰਚਲ ਚਪਲ ਬੁਧਿ ਕਾ ਖੇਲੁ ॥
चंचल चपल बुधि का खेलु ॥
Cẖancẖal cẖapal buḏẖ kā kẖel.
the body is the play-thing of the fickle and unsteady intellect.

ਨਉ ਦਰਵਾਜੇ ਦਸਵਾ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥
नउ दरवाजे दसवा दुआरु ॥
Na▫o ḏarvāje ḏasvā ḏu▫ār.
It has nine doors, and then there is the Tenth Gate.

ਬੁਝੁ ਰੇ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਏਹੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥੧॥
बुझु रे गिआनी एहु बीचारु ॥१॥
Bujẖ re gi▫ānī ehu bīcẖār. ||1||
Reflect upon this and understand it, O wise one. ||1||

ਕਥਤਾ ਬਕਤਾ ਸੁਨਤਾ ਸੋਈ ॥
कथता बकता सुनता सोई ॥
Kathṯā bakṯā sunṯā so▫ī.
The Lord is the One who speaks, teaches and listens.

ਆਪੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੇ ਸੁ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਹੋਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
आपु बीचारे सु गिआनी होई ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Āp bīcẖāre so gi▫ānī ho▫ī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
One who contemplates his own self is truly wise. ||1||Pause||

ਦੇਹੀ ਮਾਟੀ ਬੋਲੈ ਪਉਣੁ ॥
देही माटी बोलै पउणु ॥
Ḏehī mātī bolai pa▫uṇ.
The body is dust; the wind speaks through it.

ਬੁਝੁ ਰੇ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਮੂਆ ਹੈ ਕਉਣੁ ॥

बुझु रे गिआनी मूआ है कउणु ॥
Bujẖ re gi▫ānī mū▫ā hai ka▫uṇ.
Understand, O wise one, who has died.

ਮੂਈ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਬਾਦੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ॥
मूई सुरति बादु अहंकारु ॥
Mū▫ī suraṯ bāḏ ahaʼnkār.
Awareness, conflict and ego have died,

ਓਹੁ ਨ ਮੂਆ ਜੋ ਦੇਖਣਹਾਰੁ ॥੨॥
ओहु न मूआ जो देखणहारु ॥२॥
Oh na mū▫ā jo ḏekẖaṇhār. ||2||
but the One who sees does not die. ||2||

ਜੈ ਕਾਰਣਿ ਤਟਿ ਤੀਰਥ ਜਾਹੀ ॥
जै कारणि तटि तीरथ जाही ॥
Jai kāraṇ ṯat ṯirath jāhī.
For the sake of it, you journey to sacred shrines and holy rivers;

ਰਤਨ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਘਟ ਹੀ ਮਾਹੀ ॥
रतन पदारथ घट ही माही ॥
Raṯan paḏārath gẖat hī māhī.
but this priceless jewel is within your own heart.

ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਪੰਡਿਤੁ ਬਾਦੁ ਵਖਾਣੈ ॥
पड़ि पड़ि पंडितु बादु वखाणै ॥
Paṛ paṛ pandiṯ bāḏ vakẖāṇai.
The Pandits, the religious scholars, read and read endlessly; they stir up arguments and controversies,

ਭੀਤਰਿ ਹੋਦੀ ਵਸਤੁ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ॥੩॥
भीतरि होदी वसतु न जाणै ॥३॥
Bẖīṯar hoḏī vasaṯ na jāṇai. ||3||
but they do not know the secret deep within. ||3||

ਹਉ ਨ ਮੂਆ ਮੇਰੀ ਮੁਈ ਬਲਾਇ ॥
हउ न मूआ मेरी मुई बलाइ ॥
Ha▫o na mū▫ā merī mu▫ī balā▫e.
I have not died - that evil nature within me has died.

ਓਹੁ ਨ ਮੂਆ ਜੋ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਇ ॥
ओहु न मूआ जो रहिआ समाइ ॥
Oh na mū▫ā jo rahi▫ā samā▫e.
The One who is pervading everywhere does not die.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ ॥
कहु नानक गुरि ब्रहमु दिखाइआ ॥
Kaho Nānak gur barahm ḏikẖā▫i▫ā.
Says Nanak, the Guru has revealed God to me,

ਮਰਤਾ ਜਾਤਾ ਨਦਰਿ ਨ ਆਇਆ ॥੪॥੪॥
मरता जाता नदरि न आइआ ॥४॥४॥
Marṯā jāṯā naḏar na ā▫i▫ā. ||4||4||
and now I see that there is no such thing as birth or death. ||4||4||

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
BhagatSinghji,

soul, spirit, body, all interesting words, but to be simple, 'I' is the entity that is currently debating with you

ਮਰਤਾ ਜਾਤਾ ਨਦਰਿ ਨ ਆਇਆ ॥੪॥੪॥
मरता जाता नदरि न आइआ ॥४॥४॥
Marṯā jāṯā naḏar na ā▫i▫ā. ||4||4||
and now I see that there is no such thing as birth or death. ||4||4||

which leaves nothing, or everything, depending on how you look at it lol

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Taranjeet Singh ji,
Have you seen it?

Harry ji
My question to you is still on the table. Who is this I you are talking about (that is debating with me, is it really?)?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Bhagatsinghji

The 'I' that I talk about is my very essence, all that is Harry, all my neurosis, my aspirations, my faults, my truths, my lusts, desires, it is everything that combines to make me who I am, what then is your I, or have you not finished with your questions?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
hahahaha let us contemplate my last Range Rover, before I spent the housekeeping on the blown head gasket, the faulty air suspension, the rear axle, it was a Range Rover with a blown head gasket, faulty air suspension, and a broken rear axle, thats what it was, if I were to sell it, I would have to declare these faults, or are you suggesting I advertise it as perfect?

It was a Range Rover, but with issues, I am a Human Being, but with issues, my essence has to include these issues, or what essence is it? a playful fancy of perfection? the ultimate Harry? no such thing exists, I exist with my neurosis, they are part of me, my essence is incomplete without them

Maybe some day Creator will put me in for a service

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagatsinghji

The 'I' that I talk about is my very essence, all that is Harry, all my neurosis, my aspirations, my faults, my truths, my lusts, desires,
How far does this list go? where do you draw the line?

my desires, .. my objects of desire, my legs, my parts, my arms, going past the sensory neurons in my skin... which are also mine BTW, the ground I am standing on is mine, my computer, my house, my driveway, my street, my country, my continent, my himalayan mountains, my great wall of china, my pacific ocean, my moon, jupiter, my alpha centauri

when do I stop?

This is a great exercise. Attach "my" to anything and it is yours. I can make anything mine. Is that who I am?

I exist with my neurosis, they are part of me, my essence is incomplete without them
You exist with?
Great, I think we can get back to the exercise. What do I exist with? Well unlike you Harry, I am not a puny person, I exist with everything. I exist with you and SP ji. I exist not just with my neurosis but with existence itself.

By your logic I AM everything.

By Sp ji's logic I AM nothing. Going in reverse and saying I am not anything I exist with.

Haha where do we go from here. We have covered all ground. Every crevice. Everywhere we go we find the I.

which leaves nothing, or everything, depending on how you look at it
Lol why does it depend on how we look it? I don't think we are looking at it right.

How many parts do we add or remove from a Range Rover before it stops being a Range Rover?

What makes it a Range Rover? It's name makes it a range rover. If no one called it a range rover it would cease to be a range rover. So the name is all that matters? The name makes you, you. The name makes me, me. Not my name or your name. The name. You can add things to a name, it is the same, you can subtract things like Sp ji, it is still the same.

The name makes everything what it is? Sounds shallow. It's just a name, there is nothing to a name. There is nothing to a name but what about the name? But what is the name, which makes everything what it is?

...here we thought we could understand reincarnation and add more knowledge to us. We don't even understand that which is trying to understand.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
There is an idea, prominent in Catholic mysticism and somewhat similar to Buddhism, that being being attached to nothing and by recognising nothing as uniquely your own possession but rather as something loaned to you by the Creator that will pass too your children or others when you die - that you come to possess all things since you view everything from what the gurus call, "the Single of Equality" - nothing appears alien to you, everything in creation is yours and equally belongs to everyone else. And so through this poverty of spirit you paradoxically come to possess all things by letting go of any unique attachment to anything. And so you come to be like God, who is equally in all, through all and sustains all without grasping or possessing anything for Himself but rather gifting everything selflessly for the benefit of all his creatures.

Thus Saint Francis dropped his egoistic "I" in view of a higher being and let go of his attachment to any of his possessions, and in this way he came to possess everything in creation, every single object and creature became his "Brother" or "Sister" because he was now like God, having everything without having anything.

"...Spiritual poverty, deepest wisdom, you are slave to nothing,
And in your detachment you possess all things..."

- Blessed Jacopone Da Todi (c.1230-1306), Catholic mystic

What you think guys? :singhsippingcoffee:

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM