• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Are We God Fearing Or God Loving?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Are We God Fearing or God Loving??

First printed at Sikhe.com on Oct.20, 2001

Perspectives

Tejwant Singh (Malik) Sat Oct 20

Lets try to find the answer to the question.

When human beings came into existence, they were very fearful of their surroundings because they did not understand them. This was true among all peoples from the Incas in the Andes to the Adhivasis in the deep jungles of India. Gradually, when people understood the natural phenomena of The Akalpurkh, they became less fearful. However, some among them saw the opportunity to become the 'spiritual leaders' of the tribes by becoming "the only ones with 'the Truth' in that little circle". These people engaged in fear tactics to keep the tribes under their influence. They created demons, hell and fireballs in the worlds beyond, where they said those who did not obey them or follow their teachings would perish to.

The 'leaders' evolved and their followers multiplied in numbers, hence the cults became religions. But the fear tactics remained the same in all religions until the birth of Guru Nanak in the 15th century.

"Satguru Nanak parghteiyah, mitti dhund jug chanan hoa".

Here, Bhai Gurdas ji is not giving us the weather report of the day nor is he describing the day Guru Nanak was born. He is emphasizing Guru's Teachings that lifted the veil of darkness created by fear. Thus, fear created darkness began to evaporate and bright rays of love began to outshine.

Fear is darkness; Love is light. Fear breeds repression and submission; Love breeds freedom. Fear makes us cringe; Love makes us open our arms. Fear breeds rebellion; Love creates harmony. Fear is shackles; Love is 5K's.

This cultivation of Love has continued ever since and only due to our Love towards Waheguru, Sikhe has flourished and has become the 5th largest religion with 25 million Sikhs worldwide in a mere 532 years.

If someone says to you "We should be fearful of God", please recite them the verse of my 10th Guru:

"Jin prem kioh, tinh hee Prabh payeioh" - Only Love can create the connection to Waheguru.

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
In Gurbani we often encounter tuks about fear.

ਮਨ ਰੇ ਸਚੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਭਉ ਜਾਇ
Man re sacẖ milai bẖa▫o jā▫e.
O mind, meeting with the True One, fear departs.

ਭੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਕਿਉ ਥੀਐ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Bẖai bin nirbẖa▫o ki▫o thī▫ai gurmukẖ sabaḏ samā▫e. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Without the Fear of God, how can anyone become fearless? Become Gurmukh, and immerse yourself in the Shabad. ||1||Pause||​

Some discussion to explain the apparent paradox would be useful. I will check out the surrounding pages before posting my thoughts.

Then, once the fear paradox is resolved, we might see clearly how, in Sikhi, Love is the primary motivator instead of fear.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait

ਮਨ ਰੇ ਸਚੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਭਉ ਜਾਇ

Without the Fear of God, how can anyone become fearless? Become Gurmukh, and immerse yourself in the Shabad. ||1||Pause||
In this rahao pankti, ' ਭੈ ਬਿਨੁ' stands for without surrendering and not without the fear of God.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

ਮਨ ਰੇ ਸਚੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਭਉ ਜਾਇ

Without the Fear of God, how can anyone become fearless? Become Gurmukh, and immerse yourself in the Shabad. ||1||Pause||​

Some discussion to explain the apparent paradox would be useful. I will check out the surrounding pages before posting my thoughts.

Then, once the fear paradox is resolved, we might see clearly how, in Sikhi, Love is the primary motivator instead of fear.

Could it be that experience of one..i.e. Fear, helps us in understand 1. being fearful, and 2. to know within oneself when they become truly Fearless...because they have something to reference...i.e. Fear..

I see no paradox in the above shabad at all...

people started studying/questioning/contemplating what light was and is, due to darkness...
Hot due to cold
dry due to wet...

Duality... :)

Same way...what we see outward as being Temporary will help us on our experience of the permanent...

I think back...first time i stood before a rollercoatser at a fun fair...the sound, speed...anticipation...and not knowing what the experience will be like..left me fearful...
having done it once...the second time i went on it was less fearful and more enjoyable...and so on...

Some of the inner excursions via Simran...wow, they left me a little fearful at first...new experiences, like the rollercoaster...but they start to become the norm...and fear departs...trust in Guru increases and a sikh explorer is born :)

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Could it be that experience of one..i.e. Fear, helps us in understand 1. being fearful, and 2. to know within oneself when they become truly Fearless...because they have something to reference...i.e. Fear..

I see no paradox in the above shabad at all...

people started studying/questioning/contemplating what light was and is, due to darkness...
Hot due to cold
dry due to wet...

Duality... :)

I too have contemplated this apparent paradox. However, your response here has given me a new perspective to consider, and it is making more sense to me now! I will certainly apply this perspective going forward when reading shabads that reference fear.

Things that seem like paradoxes are ultimately two sides of the same coin...

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Agree...probably is the actual definition of Fear...something which manifests due to 'not knowing'..

I believe that that is very much what fear arises from - the 'unknown.' And perhaps what this shows is that we are 'fighting' Hukam, and not being fully absorbed in the present moment - the only thing that ever really exists.

Kully

SPNer
Jan 3, 2016

Both. This is not a one or the other question.

If you look at "fear" as a negative aspect only then you will only see the negative aspects, but Gurbani speaks of fear in a positive aspect. "Fear" is part and parcel of human structure. But that doesn't mean we are wimpering in some corner out of fear. If can also mean that we are fearing certain things happening but in a positive way. Just like parents fear their children will do bad in exams and not achieve the grades they hoped for. In Gurbani, there are shabad like this:

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲ ੧
Siree Raag, First Mehla:
ਤਨੁ ਜਲਿ ਬਲਿ ਮਾਟੀ ਭਇਆ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਿ ਮਨੂਰੁ
The body is burnt to ashes; by its love of Maya, the mind is rusted through.
ਅਉਗਣ ਫਿਰਿ ਲਾਗੂ ਭਏ ਕੂਰਿ ਵਜਾਵੈ ਤੂਰੁ
Demerits become one's enemies, and falsehood blows the bugle of attack.
ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਭਰਮਾਈਐ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਡੋਬੇ ਪੂਰੁ ॥੧॥
Without the Word of the Shabad, people wander lost in reincarnation. Through the love of duality, multitudes have been drowned. ||1||
ਮਨ ਰੇ ਸਬਦਿ ਤਰਹੁ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ
O mind, swim across, by focusing your consciousness on the Shabad.
ਜਿਨਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਬੂਝਿਆ ਮਰਿ ਜਨਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Those who do not become Gurmukh do not understand the Naam; they die, and continue coming and going in reincarnation. ||1||Pause||
ਤਨੁ ਸੂਚਾ ਸੋ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਹਿ ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਉ
That body is said to be pure, in which the True Name abides.
ਭੈ ਸਚਿ ਰਾਤੀ ਦੇਹੁਰੀ ਜਿਹਵਾ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਆਉ
One whose body is imbued with the Fear of the True One, and whose tongue savors Truthfulness,

ਸਚੀ ਨਦਰਿ ਨਿਹਾਲੀਐ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਾਉ ॥੨॥
is brought to ecstasy by the True Lord's Glance of Grace. That person does not have to go through the fire of the womb again. ||2||
ਸਾਚੇ ਤੇ ਪਵਨਾ ਭਇਆ ਪਵਨੈ ਤੇ ਜਲੁ ਹੋਇ
From the True Lord came the air, and from the air came water.
ਜਲ ਤੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣੁ ਸਾਜਿਆ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮੋਇ
From water, He created the three worlds; in each and every heart He has infused His Light.
ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਮੈਲਾ ਨਾ ਥੀਐ ਸਬਦਿ ਰਤੇ ਪਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥੩॥
The Immaculate Lord does not become polluted. Attuned to the Shabad, honor is obtained. ||3||
ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਸਾਚਿ ਸੰਤੋਖਿਆ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਮਾਹਿ
One whose mind is contented with Truthfulness, is blessed with the Lord's Glance of Grace.
ਪੰਚ ਭੂਤ ਸਚਿ ਭੈ ਰਤੇ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਚੀ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ
The body of the five elements is dyed in the Fear of the True One; the mind is filled with the True Light.
ਨਾਨਕ ਅਉਗਣ ਵੀਸਰੇ ਗੁਰਿ ਰਾਖੇ ਪਤਿ ਤਾਹਿ ॥੪॥੧੫॥
O Nanak, your demerits shall be forgotten; the Guru shall preserve your honor. ||4||15||

This is showing fear, not in a negative aspect but a positive one.

When human beings came into existence, they were very fearful of their surroundings because they did not understand them. This was true among all peoples from the Incas in the Andes to the Adhivasis in the deep jungles of India. Gradually, when people understood the natural phenomena of The Akalpurkh, they became less fearful.

What is your source of information for this respected Tejwant Singh?

If someone says to you "We should be fearful of God", please recite them the verse of my 10th Guru:

"Jin prem kioh, tinh hee Prabh payeioh" - Only Love can create the connection to Waheguru.

From Dasam Granth? What is they say that "Guru Granth Sahib is my only Guru"?

in Sikhi, Love is the primary motivator instead of fear.

Correct Ishna Ji, but love is not the only factor. There has to be love but there also has to be fear.

In this shabad Gurbani tells us that fear is a part of the process:

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ਘਰੁ ੫
Siree Raag, First Mehla, Fifth House:
ਅਛਲ ਛਲਾਈ ਨਹ ਛਲੈ ਨਹ ਘਾਉ ਕਟਾਰਾ ਕਰਿ ਸਕੈ
The Undeceiveable is not deceived by deception. He cannot be wounded by any dagger.
ਜਿਉ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਰਾਖੈ ਤਿਉ ਰਹੈ ਇਸੁ ਲੋਭੀ ਕਾ ਜੀਉ ਟਲ ਪਲੈ ॥੧॥
As our Lord and Master keeps us, so do we exist. The soul of this greedy person is tossed this way and that. ||1||
ਬਿਨੁ ਤੇਲ ਦੀਵਾ ਕਿਉ ਜਲੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Without the oil, how can the lamp be lit? ||1||Pause||
ਪੋਥੀ ਪੁਰਾਣ ਕਮਾਈਐ ਭਉ ਵਟੀ ਇਤੁ ਤਨਿ ਪਾਈਐ
Let the reading of your prayer book be the oil, and let the Fear of God be the wick for the lamp of this body.

ਸਚੁ ਬੂਝਣੁ ਆਣਿ ਜਲਾਈਐ ॥੨॥
Light this lamp with the understanding of Truth. ||2||
ਇਹੁ ਤੇਲੁ ਦੀਵਾ ਇਉ ਜਲੈ
Use this oil to light this lamp.
ਕਰਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਤਉ ਮਿਲੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Light it, and meet your Lord and Master. ||1||Pause||
ਇਤੁ ਤਨਿ ਲਾਗੈ ਬਾਣੀਆ
This body is softened with the Word of the Guru's Bani;
ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੇਵ ਕਮਾਣੀਆ
you shall find peace, doing seva (selfless service).
ਸਭ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣੀਆ ॥੩॥
All the world continues coming and going in reincarnation. ||3||
ਵਿਚਿ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਸੇਵ ਕਮਾਈਐ
In the midst of this world, do seva,
ਤਾ ਦਰਗਹ ਬੈਸਣੁ ਪਾਈਐ
and you shall be given a place of honor in the Court of the Lord.
ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਾਹ ਲੁਡਾਈਐ ॥੪॥੩੩॥
Says Nanak, swing your arms in joy! ||4||33||

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Kully ji,

Firstly and lastly, please do not address me with the prefix 'respected' as requested before. Thanks

I do not think you understand much about what is written in this forum. Your responses show that.
This article was written 16 years ago when I had a discussion with my Christian friend who talked about how Christians are taught to be God-fearing and how this phrase has become the lexicon of all the religions. This was my perspective from Sikhi viewpoint.

Your above post proves your haste in responding before even understanding what is being said. You contradict yourself with the above as you often do. I have also explained in my response, that the verse Ishna ji had quoted about fear is about the fear of not knowing, not the fear of going to hell as in the Abrahamic religions and others including Hinduism.

Hence, it is not both as you claim as compared to other religions as mentioned in the article.

What is your source of information for this respected Tejwant Singh?

Commonsense. I hope I have not offended you.

From Dasam Granth? What is they say that "Guru Granth Sahib is my only Guru"?

Yes, it is. I have been evolving since I wrote the article, thanks to SGGS, our only Guru, in my perspective and understanding of Sikhi. I have learnt a lot more since which is the duty of every Sikh. I hope you have evolved too

ਪੋਥੀ ਪੁਰਾਣ ਕਮਾਈਐ ਭਉ ਵਟੀ ਇਤੁ ਤਨਿ ਪਾਈਐ
Let the reading of your prayer book be the oil, and let the Fear of God be the wick for the lamp of this body.

ਸਚੁ ਬੂਝਣੁ ਆਣਿ ਜਲਾਈਐ ॥੨॥

Please always write the page number when you quote from the SGGS. In this case, the Shabad is on page 25. Let me take the second Shabad first.

The two Shabads posted here are written in Tutki -Tercet form. It means the meaning lies in the 3 line stanza and have to be chanted and then understood in the same manner.
For more information about the poetic forms in the SGGS please check the following thread and add to it if you can.
Classification Of Poetry In Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Firstly, the main message of the Shabad is in Rahao verse. The one you posted has nothing to do with fear, either good or bad.

In this Shabad, as a matter of fact, there are two Rahaos.
Ist Rahao is just one line.
Bin ṯel ḏīvā ki▫o jalai. ||1|| rahā▫o.
ਕਿਉ ਜਲੈ = ਬਲਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਰਹਿ ਸਕਦਾ।੧।
(ਸਿਮਰਨ ਦੇ) ਤੇਲ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ (ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦਾ) ਦੀਵਾ ਕਿਵੇਂ ਟਹਕਦਾ ਰਹਿ ਸਕੇ? (ਮਾਇਆ- ਮੋਹ ਦੀ ਹਨੇਰੀ ਦੇ ਝੋਂਕੇ ਜਿੰਦ ਨੂੰ ਅਡੋਲ ਨਹੀਂ ਰਹਿਣ ਦੇਂਦੇ)॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ॥

2nd Rahao has two lines-

ਇਹੁ ਤੇਲੁ ਦੀਵਾ ਇਉ ਜਲੈ
Ih ṯel ḏīvā i▫o jalai.
Use this oil to light this lamp.
ਇਹ ਨਾਮ-ਤੇਲ ਹੋਵੇ, ਤਾਹੀਏਂ ਇਹ ਜੀਵਨ ਦਾ ਦੀਵਾ ਟਹਿਕਦਾ ਹੈ।

ਕਰਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਤਉ ਮਿਲੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Kar cẖānaṇ sāhib ṯa▫o milai. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Light it, and meet your Lord and Master. ||1||Pause||
ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਚਾਨਣ ਕਰ, ਤਦੋਂ ਹੀ ਮਾਲਕ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ॥

The second one shows the followers who were mainly Hindus and Muslims, how the light of knowledge can get rid of the darkness of fear/ignorance.

My understanding of the central idea of this Shabad is-
"Without the right sources, one cannot be resourceful"
In the literal sense, it may have also been meant for the Jewish people who celebrate Hannukah as a miracle where there was only very little oil left to light one lamp. You may google for more understanding of this Jewish tradition if you wish to.
Sikhi has no miracles.

What are the sources to become resourceful, a Sikh may ask as his/her learning process?
The answer is in the verse you quoted from the Shabad.
As Guru Nanak was talking to Hindus and Muslims of that time, he was using their language and their faith traditions and values. Both Hindus and Muslims believe in Hell and Heaven, unlike in Sikhi. So, the fear here is meant in the theological sense of Hinduism and Abrahamic religions where the fear is all bad. There is nothing good about it.
Guru Nanak is saying the same thing to them as he tells us. Learn, gain knowledge in order to overcome this fear factor.

Now if you go to the third verse, it has the misleading translation in English. We have often talked about the incorrect/misleading/distorted English translations of the SGGS, our only Guru. Please check them in the forum.

ਇਤੁ ਤਨਿ ਲਾਗੈ ਬਾਣੀਆ
Iṯ ṯan lāgai bāṇī▫ā.
This body is softened with the Word of the Guru's Bani;
ਬਾਣੀਆ = ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀ। ਲਾਗੈ = ਅਸਰ ਕਰੇ।੩।
(ਜਿਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨੂੰ) ਇਸ ਸਰੀਰ ਵਿਚ ਗੁਰੂ ਦਾ ਉਪਦੇਸ਼ ਅਸਰ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ,

ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੇਵ ਕਮਾਣੀਆ
Sukẖ hovai sev kamāṇī▫ā.
you shall find peace, doing seva (selfless service).
(ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ) ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰਨ ਨਾਲ (ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰਨ ਨਾਲ) ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ,

ਸਭ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣੀਆ ॥੩॥
Sabẖ ḏunī▫ā āvaṇ jāṇī▫ā. ||3||
All the world continues coming and going in reincarnation. ||3||

The one in bold above means the normal life cycles of beings, not reincarnation.

Your attempt to highlight one-liners of the two Shabads is to prove the point of your argument rather than sharing your understanding of the message in the Shabads.

This one is on page 19, the first Shabad.
The central idea of this Shabad is again nothing to do with fear as you implied. I have also added Prof. Sahib Singh's understanding in Gurmukhi. I hope you read Gurmukhi.
ਮਨ ਰੇ ਸਬਦਿ ਤਰਹੁ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ
Man re sabaḏ ṯarahu cẖiṯ lā▫e.
O mind, swim across, by focusing your consciousness on the Shabad.
ਸਬਦਿ = (ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ) ਸ਼ਬਦ ਵਿਚ।
ਹੇ (ਮੇਰੇ) ਮਨ! ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਵਿਚ ਚਿੱਤ ਜੋੜ (ਤੇ ਇਸ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਸੰਸਾਰ-ਸਮੁੰਦਰ ਦੇ ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਤੋਂ) ਪਾਰ ਲੰਘ।

ਜਿਨਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਬੂਝਿਆ ਮਰਿ ਜਨਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Jin gurmukẖ nām na būjẖi▫ā mar janmai āvai jā▫e. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Those who do not become Gurmukh do not understand the Naam; they die, and continue coming and going in reincarnation. ||1||Pause||
ਜਿਨਿ = ਜਿਸ (ਮਨੁੱਖ) ਨੇ। ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ = ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸਰਨ ਪੈ ਕੇ।੧।
ਜਿਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸਰਨ ਪੈ ਕੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਨਾਲ ਸਾਂਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾਈ, ਉਹ ਮਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੰਮਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੰਮਦਾ ਹੈ ਮਰਦਾ ਹੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ॥

In the second line of the Rahao verse, it clearly shows that there is no reincarnation for a Gurmukh unlike your claim of reincarnation in Sikhi. SGGS, our only Guru, explains the absence of the belief of reincarnation in Sikhi many a time.

Here is your one-liner about fear in bold. If you are able to read Gurmukhi, please check what Prof. Sahib Singh is talking about 'fear'.

ਤਨੁ ਸੂਚਾ ਸੋ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਹਿ ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਉ
Ŧan sūcẖā so ākẖī▫ai jis mėh sācẖā nā▫o.
That body is said to be pure, in which the True Name abides.
ਸੂਚਾ = ਸੁੱਚਾ, ਪਵਿੱਤਰ।
ਜਿਸ ਸਰੀਰ ਵਿਚ ਸਦਾ-ਥਿਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਟਿਕਿਆ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਹੀ ਸਰੀਰ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਅਖਵਾ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ।

ਭੈ ਸਚਿ ਰਾਤੀ ਦੇਹੁਰੀ ਜਿਹਵਾ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਆਉ
Bẖai sacẖ rāṯī ḏehurī jihvā sacẖ su▫ā▫o.
One whose body is imbued with the Fear of the True One, and whose tongue savors Truthfulness,
ਭੈ = ਨਿਰਮਲ ਡਰ ਵਿਚ, ਅਦਬ ਵਿਚ। ਸਚਿ = ਸਦਾ-ਥਿਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਯਾਦ ਵਿਚ। ਰਾਤੀ = ਰੰਗੀ ਹੋਈ। ਦੇਹੁਰੀ = ਸੁੰਦਰ ਦੇਹੀ। ਸਚੁ = ਸਦਾ-ਥਿਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ। ਸੁਆਉ = ਸੁਆਰਥ, ਮਨੋਰਥ।
ਜੇਹੜਾ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਸਰੀਰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਅਦਬ-ਪਿਆਰ ਵਿਚ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਯਾਦ ਵਿਚ ਰੰਗਿਆ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜਿਸ ਦੀ ਜੀਭ ਨੂੰ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਹੀ (ਆਪਣੀ ਹਸਤੀ ਦਾ) ਅਸਲ ਮਨੋਰਥ ਜਾਪਦਾ ਹੈ,

ਸਚੀ ਨਦਰਿ ਨਿਹਾਲੀਐ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਾਉ ॥੨॥
Sacẖī naḏar nihālī▫ai bahuṛ na pāvai ṯā▫o. ||2||
is brought to ecstasy by the True Lord's Glance of Grace. That person does not have to go through the fire of the womb again. ||2||
ਨਿਹਾਲੀਐ = ਤੱਕਿਆ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਾਉ = ਤਾਅ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਹਾਰਦਾ।੨।
ਜਿਸ ਉਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਮਿਹਰ ਦੀ ਨਜ਼ਰ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਮੁੜ ਮੁੜ (ਚੌਰਾਸੀ ਦੇ ਗੇੜ ਦੀ ਕੁਠਾਲੀ ਵਿਚ ਪੈ ਕੇ) ਤਾਅ (ਸੇਕ) ਨਹੀਂ ਸਹਾਰਦਾ ॥੨

You picked and chose 1/3rd of the Tutki/tercet stanza rather than all 3 lines which explain the meaning, fully in an interconnected manner. All 3 lines together complete one single thought.
Why did you choose just the 1/3 of the thought of our Guru, if I may ask?
In fact, the last line rejects your non-Sikhi belief in Reincarnation. All the Shabads you posted do the same.

And then your hasty response,

Not from the Sikhi point of view as compared to other religions as is mentioned in the Shabads you quoted.

Thanks

Last edited:

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
We're taught by society that to love too quickly means that we are mad or crazy. Fears been instilled in us by society so much that many of us forget how to really love.

In Truth, only Naam is the true lover. Others can let us down, love us conditionally etc. I myself have experienced every single person turn on me or leave me and now I know that Hes the only one who's most loyal and faithful to us.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
We're taught by society that to love too quickly means that we are mad or crazy. Fears been instilled in us by society so much that many of us forget how to really love.

In Truth, only Naam is the true lover. Others can let us down, love us conditionally etc. I myself have experienced every single person turn on me or leave me and now I know that Hes the only one who's most loyal and faithful to us.

real love....true love...

how many times do we say "i love you"... what does it really mean...what is true love?

surely true love is 100% unconditional...

i was watching a program on TV with my wife and the subject of cheating came up...My wife asked me what i would do if she ever cheated on me...i had to really think about it...as my answer today is completely different to several years ago...years ago i probably would get very upset/angry..."why did she do it", "who's the other person"...etc etc...this would probably be Fear related, fear of being alone, fear of the unknown...what will life be like..

but that was when i had only worldly things to live for...through Gurbani i have something above all else to strive for...

i told her...if i Truely love you. then i would want you to be happy whether it's with me or someone else...
i would wish you all the best and move on with my own life.... :) she found my answer very strange....I didn't..

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM