• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sakhis Are The Stories Of The Gurus Real Or Made-up?

BlazinSikh

SPNer
May 6, 2011
Croydon, London, England
Hey everyone this is my first thread/forum and my first question is "Are the storys of The Guru's are real or made up?", as a sikh who is intrested in sikhism there are many things that bother me such as story's of the 10 Guru's' I want to know if they are real or fake, because i can not find no proof of any such storys. The only story i do is of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and the Kabba which i dont know if it is real or not and plus if they are real please can some one send me a link of other real storys of the 10 Guru's Thanks and God Bless :singhsippingcoffee:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
BlazinSikh ji

You are asking a controversial question, with a controversial answer. Some take each sakhi from the lives of the Gurus and treat it as literal truth. Others reject all of them as complete myth and storytelling devised to trap Sikhs into a Brahmin mindset. There is a 3rd view. The truth of the life sketches of the Gurus is mixed. The test of truth is to read Sri Guru Granth Sahib carefully. There you will find shabads that correspond to some of the sakhis, with the best example being that of the sack of Lahore. Guru Nanak's travels to places like Orissa are commemorated in the sakhis and match again with his hymns in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. The short answer to your question, from this 3rd point of view, is "Study." The sakhis contain kernels of moral teaching and echo the shabads. We have threads here to help you get started. There is no getting around it: you must dig in and read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and compare and contrast the sakhis to sections of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Good scholarship on this question is also a help.

Here is a thread to get you started. There are others here at SPN http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sakhis/34418-janam-sakhis-fabel-ous-cultural-heritage.html

BlazinSikh

SPNer
May 6, 2011
Croydon, London, England
spnadmin ji
Thank for replying to my question, my question is now awnsered making me feel more comfortable and relaxed my mum gave me the same sort of awnser as you but i wanted to make sure she was right and i will read the Guru Granths Sahib Ji very carefully and also compare to the sakhis. I would also like to thank you for the thread i will read proply as soon as my test finish
Thanks again and god bless

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM