• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Are Sikhs Freethinkers ?

Jun 1, 2004
free-think-er n. means A person who forms opinions about religion on the basis of reason, independently of tradition, authority, or established belief. Freethinkers include atheists, agnostics and rationalists.

Are Sikhs Freethinkers ?

Jul 13, 2004
UK
Well I am not a Sikh. But some Sikhs are and some aren't. As long as you can support your claims with quotes from Guruji then I would say free thinking should be done more often.
In my opinion it is clear that Sikhs are supposed to be free thinkers to an extent. The Guru talks in poetry and symbolism, so we can unriddle it and find it's message.
From my studies in Sikhism it has become clear to me that God actually has no name... If you look around you'll find my justification for this :).

~CaramelChocolate~
The little philosopher

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Although caramel is correct in which some sikhs are and others aren't.

But let's take the ideal Sikh,

Sikhs are supposed to be free-thinkers. Sikhi by reading the scriptures creates a foundation of knowledge to grow on.

Guru Gobind further explained this point by creating the Khalsa -- brotherhood dedicated to purity of thought and action.

Guru Gobind then took amrit from the members initiated into the Khalsa (Panj Pyare), clearly shows that not even the Guru should stop contemplating and stop thinking and searching for the truth, he just provided the base for us, to continue and expand our own knowledge.

Making Sikhi a free-thinkers place to be ;)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Freethinker is a person who refuses to accept the authority of a church or the Bible. A freethinker insists on the freedom to form religious opinions on the basis of his or her own reasoning powersContributor:
• David E. Klemm, Ph.D., Professor of Religion, University of Iowa.
Freethinker [Article] - World Book Online Reference Center (American English)

Did n't GURU NANAK start SIKHI based on the above?

Peace & Love

Tejwant

Jul 13, 2004
UK
VaheguruSeekr said:
Freethinker is a person who refuses to accept the authority of a church or the Bible. A freethinker insists on the freedom to form religious opinions on the basis of his or her own reasoning powersContributor:
• David E. Klemm, Ph.D., Professor of Religion, University of Iowa.
Freethinker [Article] - World Book Online Reference Center (American English)

Did n't GURU NANAK start SIKHI based on the above?

Peace & Love

Tejwant
You are thinking of non-conformists. Freethinkers are those who find their own interpretations and philosophies from scripture.

~CaramelChocolate~
The little philosopher

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM