• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Are Nihangs: A Legacy To Behold And A Core To Build From?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Gyani Ji

If a True Saint were to say there is water on Mars ,even if there was not any water there before he said it ,there would be afterwards, just as he places virtue where there was none before.

Yes Ji..I can buy that..but theres no "true" saints and no birds milk either...so if a true saint does offer me a cup of birds milk..i will take a sip..till then the jurys out..and i beleive the ONE and ONLY true siant is SGGS. NONE OTHERS.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
i beleive the ONE and ONLY true siant is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. NONE OTHERS

Gyani Veer Ji I believe that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the true saint because he can create Saints from sinners and that is why the word is wonderful.

Proviso

Saints are a rare species but they are not extinct....I hope

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Veer Ji Only a Saint is beyond reproach,the rest of mankind has only approach and that must be of spiritual weapons ,above all else.
Veer SP ji as a young kid I remeber going to Darbar Sahib. Let me tell you the Nihangs then meant business. You could not approach as you would in triviality like the Queen's Guards in UK.

I also have a faint recollection of a Diwan in Manji Sahib just outside of Parkarma in Darbar Sahib. Somebody said something wrong at the stage and there was blood everywhere. I ran with my Massi/Aunt ji and we hid above the surround that encircles the Parkarma at Darbar Sahib.

Reproach or approach what is that between brothers lol

Sat Sri Akal.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
. Let me tell you the Nihangs then meant business. You could not approach as you would in triviality like the Queen's Guards in UK.

Veer Ji

I would say they are more like Military Police, there to keep Soldiers in line ,but then the question arises why would Saint Soldiers be out of line.

Last edited:

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
Veer Ji

I would say they are more like Military Police, there to keep Soldiers in line ,but then the question arises why would Saint Soldiers be out of line.

I need to find out where the saint soldier concept comes from? It sounds a lot like onward christian soldiers?

From Dasam bani, Guru Gobind Singh talks about kshatri, but not seen anything about sant-sipahi. Anyone know where I can read this?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Its probably not the best description in the world, and there are a few quotes from Yogiji but on the whole I think it encapsulates the concept of Sant Sipahi

I found it quite interesting and the content agreeable,

http://www.sikhreview.org/pdf/january2004/pdf-files/moral2.pdf

If I may quote a para that is quite relevant

The Sikh Panth at large has not cherished, documented or archived this
important technology of Sant Sipahi as given by Dasmesh Pita, Guru Gobind Singh
Ji. Instead, the Panth has abandoned these precious teachings to the exclusive
venue of the Nihang Dals. By Guru‟s Grace, these selfless soldiers of the Panth
have propagated and protected this knowledge in the shelter of their own people.
Following Guru Ji‟s plan they have kept this knowledge covert, and so protected it
from the contamination that would have inevitably come during the years of British
colonialism and the social modernization that followed. Consequently, today, we
have the rare opportunity to apply these teachings in their purest form.

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Yes Ji..I can buy that..but theres no "true" saints and no birds milk either...so if a true saint does offer me a cup of birds milk..i will take a sip..till then the jurys out..and i beleive the ONE and ONLY true siant is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. NONE OTHERS.

Waheguru Gyani Ji,

I am still a learner of sikhi and with Satnaam Ji's grace i will try and become pure and merge into my Waheguru in this Lifetime or another lifetime of mine.

Gurbani says that a BrahmGiani is God Himself, and that our purpose in this age of Kalyug is to become BrahmGiani (A pure Soul - from which we have deviated and become under control of Ego/lust etc) and merge with Waheguru and realise whom we are.

Yes, the true Saint in the world is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, but Sri Suru Granth Sahib Ji is telling us all how we can all become true Saints (our True selves). Surely through Waheguru Ji's Grace in this dark age, there are souls (however few that may be - even only one) that have followed SGGS Ji and defeated their Ego and merged with Waheguru?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Waheguru Gyani Ji,

I am still a learner of sikhi and with Satnaam Ji's grace i will try and become pure and merge into my Waheguru in this Lifetime or another lifetime of mine.

Gurbani says that a BrahmGiani is God Himself, and that our purpose in this age of Kalyug is to become BrahmGiani (A pure Soul - from which we have deviated and become under control of Ego/lust etc) and merge with Waheguru and realise whom we are.

Yes, the true Saint in the world is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, but Sri Suru Granth Sahib Ji is telling us all how we can all become true Saints (our True selves). Surely through Waheguru Ji's Grace in this dark age, there are souls (however few that may be - even only one) that have followed Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and defeated their Ego and merged with Waheguru?
veer Chazsingh ji it is wrong to try to become or set an objective to become or be Brahm Gyani. The object of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is to help us discover, recognize and live according to the ways intended by the Brahm Gyani (one creator) as in the example below,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sukhm...ani-sahib-astpadi-8-sabad-8-a.html#post160676

So there is no merging, no multiple life times and such needed. You are always merged with whatever understanding you have an live by. The object is to increase understanding and live even better. It is as simple as that. Merging and such have been set as goals to fail and be not practical about life and go down the non Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji based slippery slope of multiple life times, re-incarnation, living being separate from understanding, etc.

Sikhism is simple, to the point and practical.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I would second what my twin veerji has said, I think the reason why this reincarnation and merging works so well in theory is because it will never happen, leaving us to enjoy today in whatever fashion we feel able to. The trouble with realising that today is all we have, is that the actions and thoughts that we put off till tomorrow, or our next reincarnation, have to be done today, now, this very minute, and that is hard!, and much harder than a commitment to do it tomorrow, or the next lifetime, or the lifetime after.

Another point I would like to raise is this constant reference to Kalyug, what is so Kalyug about these times?? I would rather be living in this time, than at a time when it was considered normal to watch a line of Mughal soldiers with heads on spears, or to be fighting a war on a daily basis, with life expectancy much lower than today, we have technology, relative peace, food on the table, a reasonable ability to follow our teachings relatively unrestricted, what exactly is so Kalyug compared to the life our ancestors lived?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
My veer Harry Ji what has happened is that many Sikh cults, sects, Babey/Shabey have created basically a movie to attract people. The movie plot is like this,

• Do what I tell you and I know where God is and we will see him?
  • You can then merge with him/her and I will help you.
  • It could be long and tedious process so stick with me
    • Wink Wink Nudge Nudge, in the heart Babey say what a stupid fool as I have strung him along for life and have already prepared him for non-delivery of Goods in the name of the time (Kalyug) and he can come back during the next lifetime to my son or other deputies and initiate another goose chase to nowhere in the name of merging, kalyug.
  • Maestro add some music and action of fads please (world peace - Rahim; World Enjoyment - Nirankari; Non-Vegetarian - Radha Soami); etc.
  • Even so called intelligent people who think they are capable of finding God/creator by themselves are not capable of seeing pick pockets all around them
  • "What A Bunch of Lost Sikh Souls"
    • So sorry to see
  • Nihangs given little bit of respect and recognition and mandate can fix such Babey/Shabey in no time flat
    • Without contesting in right or wrong of Sant Bhindranwale, it is amazing how such Dehras were lying so low then peacesign
Sat Sri Akal.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Thank you for your replies. I am a learner and all help and guidance is always appreciated.

To my understanding, God created the universe in-order to experience himself. there is none other than god anywhere. Our Soul/Consciousness being Drops of the Whole sea of Consciousness (God Himself). He gave us our mind to be used as a tool so that we can function in this creation, only over the ages, we began to think that we are the tool (mind) and nothing else. We forgot that we are pure consciousness, that we are the drop from the ocean of pure love consciousness (god), so instead we have become the slaves of our mind and stuck in the rot of following our Ego, Desires, anger etc etc. Some of us through gods grace are able to hold down the 5 thieves more than others letting the soul do the talking (love, compassion, see god in all, no differnece in anyone etc) while others are so far into the 5 thieves that they are consumed. Kalyug as far as i understand is this age where the 5 thieves are dominating the world causing the poverty, the wars, the fighting, the high crime rates, the distrust of another person, the bounderies, the lines, the hate etc etc). Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji came into this Kalyug age to be the Lighthouse that guides us through the dark dangerous waters.

By Merger or to become like brahm gian i actually mean that we (through Simran/mediation/Seva etc) we are able to still the mind, tie up the 5 thieves, and let the Soul (us, our true selves) be the thing in charge and not our minds. This is what i read and feel when i read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Guru ji is telling me, reminding me of who i really am, of who my real enemies are (Ego, Lust, Desire, Anger etc etc), and the technology behind overcoming them.

Its like a mother who has known her loving child since the child was born, knowing the child was kind, caring, loving, helped others...then all of a sudden the child starts taking drugs, starts hating people, figting, hurting others. the mother in sadness looks at the child and KNOWs that her child has lost touch of its True self, and the mother tries her hardest to explain, show, remind the child of their true selves, helps with healing the effects of the drugs, never gives up until one day with Grace the child remembers and the loving caring nature is once again there. This is what i feel Guru Ji is telling us, reminding us, and showing us what we need to do and who we really.

Once we have conquered the 5 thieves, the merger/realisation is that we are all part of god (literally), connected to the same wisdom and knowldge of the whole of his creation and beyond. Like the drop of water from the ocean cannot be the same as the ocean (the ocean being Vast and endless), but they are still both water/no difference.
Guruji is telling me evertime i listen and read that this is what i Really am and that i Need to wake up and remember.

I appologise if the above is not correct, but i only write how I am feeling from within at this moment in time.

God bless all.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Kalyug as far as i understand is this age where the 5 thieves are dominating the world causing the poverty, the wars, the fighting, the high crime rates, the distrust of another person, the boundaries, the lines, the hate etc etc). Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji came into this Kalyug age to be the Lighthouse that guides us through the dark dangerous waters.
The Kalyug is how the souls of people were imprisoned and exploited by the Brahmins, Mullahs, etc., of the day. That was Kalyug. They tried to set people free of this garbage as this created exploitation, falsehoods, distance from understanding and associated behaviors.

By Merger or to become like brahm gian i actually mean that we (through Simran/mediation/Seva etc)
Veer if you even scratch very basic understanding of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji by yourself you will find that assigned meanings to these words are very mis-leading indeed and are almost exploitive by the pushers of such.

• Simran
    • Always aware of the creator and all creation being of the creator and acting accordingly
  • mediation
    • It is an exercise for tuning and it is not wisdom generator in itself. Sikhism asks you to be continuously aware and not be looking for a shut-in state
  • Seva
    • This is the practical aspect of recognizing that all around us is of the same that we are from
    • Help, share, so on attributes of this relationship
    • Seva is the name for it
we are able to still the mind, tie up the 5 thieves, and let the Soul (us, our true selves) be the thing in charge and not our minds. This is what i read and feel when i read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Guru ji is telling me, reminding me of who i really am, of who my real enemies are (Ego, Lust, Desire, Anger etc etc), and the technology behind overcoming them.
Just falsehoods and beliefs on such. Much touted by parchariks as it puts everyone in a state " I am so Gunahangar/Gulity, full of faults, etc." and consequently in a very defensive mode. The pockets start emptying out and the line ups start to give money to the parcharik.

With self doubt embedded everyone starts to follow rather than think for self. Understanding requires lot of self time and love to get results. The fast food knowledge merchants try to package it in fifteen minutes or half hour and we feel good. How often has it changed and what percentage of Sikhs?

Once we have conquered the 5 thieves, the merger/realisation is
Veer there are no prerequisites to understanding. You canstart understanding today. Thieves are not an objective. They hate enlightement and dissipate with your understanding without even being a focus of crusade to conquer them. Another fallacy like multiple-lives, etc.

that we are all part of god (literally), connected to the same wisdom and knowldge of the whole of his creation and beyond. Like the drop of water from the ocean cannot be the same as the ocean (the ocean being Vast and endless), but they are still both water/no difference.
Guruji is telling me every time i listen and read that this is what i Really am and that i Need to wake up and remember.
That it really is but beyond understanding and living like such is where the hard part is. Great plan and no action is as good as no plan and no action. Again Sikhi is not a plan it is living every moment.

Not to offend and with due respect but without being untruthful in thought.

Veer we all learn and this is part of sharing and you are doing seva to me as much as I am trying to share my thoughts.

Sat Sri Akal

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Waheguru Ji,

there is no Sant involved in my life, nor am i part of any Sect/Group. I do ardaas everyday to Waheguru Ji that One day in this Lifetime i Become what He wants me to Be and that i can experience my Waheguru Ji.

All i Do is ready Gurbani, Meditate/simran during the Day and at Amrit Vela in quietness and i Try to Let God tell me from within what is right and what is wrong.
I have spent years reading people views and there are so so many. People telling me i cannot experience this, or this or that isn't possible. I used to just listen and take peoples word for it.
But i realised The only way for a person to know something is for them to put it to the test themselves. People said you couldnt climb mount everist and survive to tell the tale, yet someone put faith into it and made it True, they came back and told the story to others...out of the others, people still questioned and doubted and wouldnt believe, but a couple more would emerge and put their full faith into it and test it for themselves.

I used to laugh at reading peoples experiences of Sitting quietly during amrit vela and meditating, I used to keep knocking them...until from somewhere (call it grace..i dont know), i started to put the effort in. I couldnt even sit for 10 minutes during meditation before my mind starting flashing images of money, daily duties, women etc and it would take me away from consentrating on Waheguru ji (the battle with the mind as gurbani describes was playing before me - i had to fight to focus on Waheguru Ji). thats when i realised just how out of Tune i was. But over the years meditation has become so much easier, peaceful, and blissful that i can now sit for hours. It heps so much with daily duties and getting through things where otherwise it may have resulted in me getting angry, fighting, not being able to forgive etc..

Its changed my life so much that i will continue to do it. Its really strange as well, the meaning of Gurbani evolves and gets deeper the more Simran and meditation that i do. Its a feeling that i cannot describe.

god bless all

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM