• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Ardas-why Do We Stand Up?

x_suman_x

SPNer
Nov 12, 2005
slough
waheguru ji ka khalsa,
waheguru ji ki fateh
recently i had a disagreement wid my cusin.the ardas was on the radio and i was in the car and wanted to listen 2 it.my cusin refused to let me saying that it was a huge bhap to listen to ardas sitting down.i have always believed that in ardaas i can talk to god and if i am unable to stand up for sum reason or the other i can do it sitting down.what if sum1 is in a wheelchair?is it wrong for them to do ardas sitting down?im curious to know the reason y we stand up?cud sum1 pls explain 2 me y we stand up?
waheguru ji ka khalsa,
waheguru ji ki fateh

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Friend

As I understand we stand in ARDASS so that we respect our GURU JI GURU GRANTH SAHIB when we are making prayer in which we also address to our Present and all other GURU JI

So in presense of Parkash of GURU JI It becomes quite obvious to stand

But while listening it somewhere else we can aviod it if cant do so but still doing so if possible will be desirable . And for Wheel chair people I dont think there is any need to do so .otherwise you are very right GOD doesnot really want us to stand and do prayer as he actually listen to each and every prayer going inside our mind all the time

Jatinder Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Dont be misled...ardass is NOT a "ritual". You can do it lying down..standing up....upside down !!
In the Gurdwara it is just done that way so as to be UNIFORMITY SAKE. In Kirtan we all sit down..in ardass we all stand up..no big deal. The Christians sit all the time..the Muslims also have their way of Prayer etc etc.
Thus a sikh in a wheelchair is under no "obligation" to stand up....and IF say you are in the middle of lunch...and somewhere else ardass begins...you are not obliged to drop everything and stand up..while the flies settle on your lunch and it becomes cold !! Carry on EATING...Guru ji UNDERSTANDS..GURU JI is NOT a FANATIC who will rip your guts out for sitting down in ardass !!! Its the LOVE that counts. Whats the "point" of "standing up"..and then thinking..ala mah...my food is getting cold..oh when will this ardass finish so i can get back to eating...blah blah blah....I would rather remain seated, and finish my lunch..and THINK about ARDASS. Who is better..the Sikh ..who "follows the crowd and stands up for ardass...while his MIND is not there....or the one who remains seated and continues eating..BUT his MIND is in the Ardass...( my answer-- the SECOND one) ( this example is taken from the langgar hall...or in somebodys home programme..when some are eating..the ardass begins in loudpeaker..all rush to drop everything and stand up !!). IN the PRESCENCE of SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB JEE...NO EXCEPTION for anybody except the sick/wheel chair person etc. ALL MUST STAND with folded hands and listen to ardass respectfully.

Gyani jarnail Singh Arshi

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh
Das has done ardas often while not standing.Das would recomend to use Das only with rembering Akal Purukkh and not Bhgaouti or Ten Gurus,which Sewa Panthis call Choti Ardas and was there before Tenth Master wrote Var Sri Bhagwati Ji Ki.

This more true when we lack the time.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Here is a funny story on POWER OF ARDASS.
A friend sent it to me by email...

In a small town, a person decided to open up his Bar business, which was right opposite to the Temple. The Temple & its congregation started a campaign to block the Bar from opening with petitions and prayed daily against his business.

Work progressed. However, when it was almost complete and was about to open a few days later, a strong lightning struck the Bar and it was burnt to the ground.

The temple folks were rather smug in their outlook after that, till the Bar owner sued the Temple authorities on the grounds that the Temple through its congregation & prayers was ultimately responsible for the demise of his bar shop, either through direct or indirect actions or means.

In its reply to the court, the temple vehemently denied all responsibility or any connection that their prayers were reasons to the bar shop's demise. As the case made its way into court, the judge looked over the paperwork at the hearing and commented:

"I don't know how I'm going to decide this case, but it appears from the paperwork, we have a bar owner who believes in the power of prayer and we have an entire temple and its devotees that doesn't."
:eek::):eek::):eek::):eek::):happy::):eek::):):confused::welcome:

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
The word Ardass has been derived from the Persian language word 'Arjaa Das' means the prayer of the servant. A servant , since ancient times, was supposed to stand with folded hands in front of his master and ask for his requests. Guru Granth Sahib jee is our ultimate master. When ever a Sikh has to ask for any things or thanks the master for something; he must follow the same old path of a slave or servant. As Guru Nanak jee has said , 'We all are HIS lala golas'. The word 'Lala Gola ' again in Persian stands for the one's servants. Moreover, HE further elobrated this by saying ' HUM CHAAKER GOVIND KAI'. Hence as true followers a SIKH is a CHAAKER of his Gobind (Guru Granth Sahib jee). He must listen to his MASTER attentively with folded hands (Hukamnama) and follow it in his life. While saying his prayers or ARDASS , he must stand up with folded hands with a long pallu around his neck like a true servant of HIS MASTER. That's what I feel the way it is.
As far as the case of old /sick /handicaps the exemptions are their. They can offer their ARDASS while in bed or wheelchair but with their hands folded and mind in unison with the LORD.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: