• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Anyone Have Any Unanswered Questions On Sikhi Or God?

Pathfinder

Writer
SPNer
Sep 5, 2016
Michel foucault has best described how structurally 'knowledge is power' is a double edged sword.

Like the reason for langar is to satiate the physical hunger in us and not make us obese and lazy. So should knowledge - no point in accumulating it unless it is actually helping us grow as a Sikh. A ship only needs a basic amount of reserve buoyancy to stay afloat. Doubling the number of lifeboats makes no sense on a merchant ship and will not help. Improving the present lifeboats could be a big game changer though. Likewise unless knowledge changes one for the better - it is a liability.

Divine knowledge is knowledge that anchors us on the path of the Guru. Any bit of knowledge that transforms a manmukh into a Gursikh is divine.

Like a lot of sangat does here - Knowledge has to be implemented and distributed - like langar is to be shared. If not - the extra or unused langar rots - too much knowledge rots us, is harmful in a very real sense - we mortals or manmukhs cannot handle more than just a little knowledge.

The ones that can - are blessed and most importantly - Gursikhs.

Think of this forum as langar for the soul where we are all sevadars. We all serve in this seva in our own little ways. Collectively as long as we can feed everyone seated here and satiate the hunger of the ones who are here - we have truly served.

Knowledge is like a Gurudwara, A small one will suffice for the hungry as long as they can get food for the body and soul. A big Gurudwara is ideal, but never a nessesity.

- reflections of a tired seadog, lol.

Last edited:

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Nice post Pathfinder :)

Sharing and teaching is divine as the Gurus proved in action.

Once the teachings are shared, it's up to the recipient as to whether they will respect the Gyan and apply it 100% or let it pass by, a priceless gem unappreciated.

The Gyan taught needs to be on point though.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
So you spent time to come into this thread in order to slander me, without making a valid argument but twisting writings of a Holy book to your agenda of malice on me.

Guru Nanak was not addressing 'Theologian.'

PANDIT
pandit
ˈpandɪt/
noun
noun: pandit; plural noun: pandits
a Hindu scholar learned in Sanskrit and Hindu philosophy and religion, typically also a practising priest.
"the pandit chants the marriage mantras"
  • Indian
    a wise man or teacher.
    "Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya"
  • Indian
    a talented musician (used as a respectful title or form of address).
    "Panditji played the refrain"

QAZI
qa•di
(ˈkɑ di, ˈkeɪ-)

n., pl. -dis.
a judge in a Muslim community, whose decisions are based on Islamic religious law.
[1895–1900; < Arabic qādī judge]

YOGI

yogi
ˈjəʊɡi/
noun
noun: yogi; plural noun: yogis
  1. a person who is proficient in yoga
I am sorry if I have stirred something within you, if you address me straight then I will correct and humble myself if I am proven to be wrong in any way towards you as a personal manner, as originally addressed.
Sir

Forgive me for touching the sensitive you, but I meant no harm or injury. Honestly speaking, what would you call a pandit, qazi and a yogi if not "theologians" ?

Regards

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Who would you say is an example of someone who has divine knowledge?
H - A good question deserves a good answer and given I've just landed back in UK from celebrating Hola Mahalla at Anandpur Sahib, you're in for a treat !

Philosopher Plotinus thought pretty much like how Sikhilove thinks [language allowing] in that, there is something of the divine mystery in everything that exists. He went on to explain that we can see it sparkle in a sunflower or a poppy. We sense more of this unfathomable mystery in a butterfly that flutters from a rose to a merrygold or in a goldfish swimming in a bowl. But wait says he, are we not closer to God in our own very soul and is that soul not part n parcel of that divine being? Of course we are, says he and affirms in truth, that we ourselves are that divine mystery.

On page 644 of SGGSJ, Guru Amardas Ji confirms the same, thus, "ghar he main amrit bharphoor ha manmukha swad [edited] na payia". Translated would mean something like this: OMG, human that is slave to the mind know not the divinity within.

Goodnight

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
H - A good question deserves a good answer and given I've just landed back in UK from celebrating Hola Mahalla at Anandpur Sahib, you're in for a treat !

Philosopher Plotinus thought pretty much like how Sikhilove thinks [language allowing] in that, there is something of the divine mystery in everything that exists. He went on to explain that we can see it sparkle in a sunflower or a poppy. We sense more of this unfathomable mystery in a butterfly that flutters from a rose to a merrygold or in a goldfish swimming in a bowl. But wait says he, are we not closer to God in our own very soul and is that soul not part n parcel of that divine being? Of course we are, says he and affirms in truth, that we ourselves are that divine mystery.

On page 644 of SGGSJ, Guru Amardas Ji confirms the same, thus, "ghar he main amrit bharphoor ha manmukha swad [edited] na payia". Translated would mean something like this: OMG, human that is slave to the mind know not the divinity within.

Goodnight
Paji please may i make a humble request? I really like reading your posts but I often find them indecipherable.. I'm not sure how that post addresses the question you called out. . I genuinely would like to understand

Sukh

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Hi Sukh - thank you !

I think the operative word between the exchanges of Sir Harry n Sikhilove G is the word, "divine" ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but otherwise accepting as it were, would mean what I said above in post #125. If that'd be correct [i.e. post #125] then flowing from it is the proposition that all creation is divine, consistent with Sikh Ideology and spot-on with what Guru Amardas Ji says on page 644 SGGSJ. However, when probed by H, Sikhilove conferred divinity upon Baba Nanak alone, whereas, Plotinus on the whole of creation, metaphorically.

Hope that helps !

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Hi Sukh - thank you !

I think the operative word between the exchanges of Sir Harry n Sikhilove G is the word, "divine" ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but otherwise accepting as it were, would mean what I said above in post #125. If that'd be correct [i.e. post #125] then flowing from it is the proposition that all creation is divine, consistent with Sikh Ideology and spot-on with what Guru Amardas Ji says on page 644 SGGSJ. However, when probed by H, Sikhilove conferred divinity upon Baba Nanak alone, whereas, Plotinus on the whole of creation, metaphorically.

Hope that helps !
So two things. .
1. 'All is divine' if we state "all creation is divine " it may suggests there are things outside creation
2. I'm not sure Sikhilove conferry divinity on Guru Nanak Dev Ji. She said he had divine knowledge, which in itself suggests he knew everything .. I personally disagree with that. . But not so controversial. .

I'm not sure how Plotinus fits into the picture. ? Why are his contemplations relevant. ?

Last edited:

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
...from an objective perspective, all is divine and just as darkness is the absence of light so is ignorance the absence of knowledge. Similarly, are the non divine ignorant of the divine within.

Goodnight n Godbless
Interesting. . So for me to answer i need you to just clarify who the "non divine" ar

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
And therefore from a subjective perspective all is not divine?

Sweet dreams. . Hope you find that illuminating. !
lol - very illuminating Sukh Singh, thank you !

The frog that lives in the well [subjective] know not of the ocean [objective] outside. Similarly, are the non-divine ignorant of the divine within. Read p644 SGGSJ to get the drift.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK

The frog that lives in the well [subjective] know not of the ocean [objective] outside. Similarly, are the non-divine ignorant of the divine within. Read p644 SGGSJ to get the drift.
All rivers lead to the same ocean. .

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK

I'm sorry but your abstract quotes make no sense. . How can something be non - divine ignorant. . I don't even necessarily believe that people are ignorant of the divine

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
All rivers lead to the same ocean. .
Sukh if you can't tell the difference between a river and a well I'm gonna have to refer you to specsavers for visual retinotopy and primary school for a refreshers course in English language. Consider it a favour on account fellow SPN member without obligation.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Sukh if you can't tell the difference between a river and a well I'm gonna have to refer you to specsavers for visual retinotopy and primary school for a refreshers course in English language. Consider it a favour on account fellow SPN member without obligation.

I thank you for your generosity, I very much believe anything to help me 'see' better and that which schools me is Gurprasad.

Is the water in the well in which the frog dwells a different water from the river that flows beside it? . Is the air I breathe in my prison not the same rarefied air you breathe up in inthe bastions of your Castle?

Last edited:

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
So now after that little quip can you please qualify and answer the question posed. Or another slippery (fish?) Deflection. .

I've always thought that before I spit i should try swallowing. .

non-divine ignorant
Please elaborate

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
So now after that little quip can you please qualify and answer the question posed. Or another slippery (fish?) Deflection. .

I've always thought that before I spit i should try swallowing. .

Please elaborate
Sukh you're feeling dandy, I'm not and as much as would love to I won't dialogue right now - sorry ! The argumentative ape [AA] in me is currently on vacation, can I fix your appetite when AA returns.

In the mean time try living the Sikh Way and let go the gora education - you'll begin to see the Singh King you truly is - love you.

Thank you & good day !

Last edited:

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Sukh you're feeling dandy, I'm not and as much as would love to I won't dialogue right now - sorry ! The argumentative ape [AA] in me is currently on vacation, can I fix your appetite when AA returns.

In the mean time try living the Sikh Way and let go the gora education - you'll begin to see the Singh King you truly is - love you.

Thank you & good day !
I am literally astounded by this..

I don't even know what 'gora education' means.. Please enlighten me with a definition.. I won't hold my breath though,

Am I the only one who sees the irony in the post..

I look forward to you getting that monkey off your back
Love you too bro

Harry

SPNer
Jan 21, 2017
Whilst we continue to use such expressions as Gora educations, Gora thinking, Coconut, etc, I fail to see how Sikhism can ever be universal.

Originalji, is your thinking Sikh or Punjabi or just plain brown?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: