• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure Anyone Grow Garden Herbs Here?

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Lately I've been playing around with growing herbs at home. I've got some basil (tulsi in Panjabi) growing indoors. I also managed to get some coriander (dhaniya) growing from seed in the garden as the weather has been hot, hot, hot!

I planted some tomatoe seeds which have just sprouted but have been told that these will not bear fruit as I left it too late.

Anyone else do this type of stuff in the UK. I'm just wondering what I could grow that will last longer than summer?

I'm just trying to save money and wasted journeys to the grocers encase your wondering about my motives....lol :wink:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Veer ji

Mint! herb. Pudna. M; It seeds itself and scatters through the garden, looking precious with its delicate scalloped leaves. And late summer it sprouts beautiful purple-blue sprays. There are Pakistani pizza shops around me that deliver and they are always allowed to pick as much as they want on their way back to the kitchen.

Mustard! n. rai. F; or sarhon; The season for mustard is high right now in the states. But this is another plant that seeds itself and has delicate yellow flowers that in time will mix in with the other plants.

Aniseed! n. sauf. F; soian. F; Grows in most climates, in sunny well-drained soil - from seed.

And you can grow ginger in pots from a fresh root.

I will ask my sister who is a horticulturalist and aryuvedic cook for other suggestions. These are from my own experience.

Aryuvedic Herbs

We could help by looking up information on the net about where they flourish and how to grow them and whether they would survive in an English garden. And many of these herbs, like "neem" have dug deep cultural roots in the psyche of Northern India. SPN members like the Punjabi vocabulary thread. Why would they not like this one too? :)

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I am in Malaysia...weather is hot/wet daily...lots of sun and lots of water...no snow/cold.
I grow lots of dhaniya..tomatoes, haldee, tulsi, onions, ginger, curry leaves,garlic....anything will grow...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gianii ji

If all those plants will grow in a hot damp climate without getting mildew, the Dalsingh ji in Engliand should have no problem with curry leaves. I am going to try that myself. Thanks for the tip.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
I think global warming is changing the climate. I expect people to be growing tropical plants here one day soon.......lol

Apr 11, 2007
I was as the begining stages of growing a small coconut tree in england and then it died. It got to the stage of shooting some rooting leaves...... It took so long to grow to this stage. Such is life

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
I was as the begining stages of growing a small coconut tree in england and then it died. It got to the stage of shooting some rooting leaves...... It took so long to grow to this stage. Such is life

I do crazy experiments like that myself. I've got two miniature orange plants (been there a couple of years) they never grow except for a few months in summer. They are about a foot and half long right now. I doubt they'll ever come to fruition.

But certain fruits and berrys grow really well in Ingland. Cherries, raspberrys, gooseberrys, blackberries etc.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
methinks "tender loving care" also helps a lot...i have tried growing grapes...the vine grew to fruit...but rather small and very sour....corn grows very well in malaysian weather - fresh corn on the cob home grown is sweet... and yes we do have saag...lots of it and cauliflower grows in the mountain regions but not low ground.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM