• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

And When The Swan Soul Leaves The Body, Then ਪ੍ਰੇਤ ਪ੍ਰੇਤ ਕਰਿ ਭਾਗੀ

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
This sabd requires further understanding as it has a deeper message. ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਜਾਨਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਮਨ ਮਾਹੀ ॥ Realize once for all and 'ਲੇਹੁ' practice that God is within you, thus in all. Once manh' accepts and is transformed, he sees God in all - there will be no discrimination, no exploitation.

Then 'ਅਪਨੇ ਸੁਖ ਸਿਉ ਹੀ ਜਗੁ ਫਾਂਧਿਓ ਕੋ ਕਾਹੂ ਕੋ ਨਾਹੀ ॥੧॥ The world is entangled in its own pleasures; no one is for anyone else. ||1||Pause||This is a notion but there is no truth in this notion as at a time of adversary people do help and come forward. The surface meaning reveals pessimistic state thus leads to renouncing. In addition, basic fundamental of gurbani is, 'ਹਮ ਅਵਗੁਣਿ ਭਰੇ ਏਕੁ ਗੁਣੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਛਾਡਿ ਬਿਖੈ ਬਿਖੁ ਖਾਈ ॥ SGGS 1406 - it is we, who are filled with avgun and not others. It is not the virtue of gurbani to label, highlight deficiencies of others, criticizing or blaming others. Therefore, we should be very careful in opening up the interpretation of Rahao pankti which opens the concept of the sabd. This line contains a word 'jagh'. In japjisahib guru sahib says, 'manh jeetai jagh jeet - once manh is transformed, all the 'jagh - kutamb' of sensory organs are chanellized - it is not the universe or the world which is conquered and which cannot be. Guru sahib is trying to tell that if you don't consider God is within you, your manh will entangle all sensory organs in momentarily pleasure - it is free for all situation. Thus once we understand the meaning of 'jagh', it will be very easy to interpret 'ghar ki naar', pret pret, 'ਹੰਸ', ' ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੋ ਬਿਉਹਾਰੁ ਬਨਿਓ ਹੈ ਜਾ ਸਿਉ ਨੇਹੁ ਲਗਾਇਓ ॥ - is it laws of nature or notion or 'ਅੰਤ ਬਾਰ'.

bet regards
sahni

Oct 21, 2009
India
Japjisahib04 ji,

I read your posts very carefully lest I may infer something that is not to be inferred.There are some posts in this thread that are fairly complicated for reasons best known to the authors of the posts.

Given below is the interpretation /explanation as given by Sahib Singh ji. This is a neutral source and is well accepted for the reference purposes.

Also after carefully going through the interpretation of shabd and Katha of Giani Thakur singh ji it is concluded that they have assigned the meanings in ordinary fashion i.e sans metaphors.The message conveyed is simple as has been expressed by Ishna ji in her post that appears at perm link -3. This has also been analysed by Spnadmin ji. I have no reasons to believe that there are metaphors that require debugging nor there is any need of deep probing.

Shabad conveys a simple message that needs no repetition as it has been nicely summed up by Ishna ji that it is God who is with us when we are given farewell from this world and we should remember Him when or till we are here.

May be , Sir, we are at different levels of understanding things depending upon the trajectory of our spiritual growth. Still I remain grateful to you as learning new things is an experience in itself. A sikh is a learner through out his life.

warm Regards

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੯ ॥
Sorat'h, Ninth Mehl:
xxx
xxx

ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਜਾਨਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਮਨ ਮਾਹੀ ॥
O dear friend, know this in your mind.
ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ = ਹੇ ਸੱਜਣ! ਮਾਹੀ = ਵਿਚ।
ਹੇ ਮਿੱਤਰ! (ਆਪਣੇ) ਮਨ ਵਿਚ (ਇਹ ਗੱਲ) ਪੱਕੀ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਸਮਝ ਲੈ,

ਅਪਨੇ ਸੁਖ ਸਿਉ ਹੀ ਜਗੁ ਫਾਂਧਿਓ ਕੋ ਕਾਹੂ ਕੋ ਨਾਹੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
The world is entangled in its own pleasures; no one is for anyone else. ||1||Pause||
ਸਿਉ = ਨਾਲ। ਫਾਂਧਿਓ = ਬੱਝਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ। ਕੋ = ਕੋਈ ਮਨੁੱਖ। ਕਾਹੂ ਕੋ = ਕਿਸੇ ਦਾ ॥੧॥
(ਕਿ) ਸਾਰਾ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਆਪਣੇ ਸੁਖ ਨਾਲ ਹੀ ਬੱਝਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ। ਕੋਈ ਭੀ ਕਿਸੇ ਦਾ (ਤੋੜ ਨਿਭਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਸਾਥੀ) ਨਹੀਂ (ਬਣਦਾ) ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ॥

ਸੁਖ ਮੈ ਆਨਿ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਬੈਠਤ ਰਹਤ ਚਹੂ ਦਿਸਿ ਘੇਰੈ ॥
In good times, many come and sit together, surrounding you on all four sides.
ਆਨਿ = ਆ ਕੇ। ਮਿਲਿ = ਮਿਲ ਕੇ। ਚਹੂ ਦਿਸਿ = ਚੌਹੀਂ ਪਾਸੀਂ। ਰਹਤ ਘੇਰੈ = ਘੇਰੀ ਰੱਖਦੇ ਹਨ।
ਹੇ ਮਿੱਤਰ! (ਜਦੋਂ ਮਨੁੱਖ)! ਸੁਖ ਵਿਚ (ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਤਦੋਂ) ਕਈ ਯਾਰ ਦੋਸਤ ਮਿਲ ਕੇ (ਉਸ ਪਾਸ) ਬੈਠਦੇ ਹਨ, ਤੇ, (ਉਸ ਨੂੰ) ਚੌਹੀਂ ਪਾਸੀਂ ਘੇਰੀ ਰੱਖਦੇ ਹਨ।

ਬਿਪਤਿ ਪਰੀ ਸਭ ਹੀ ਸੰਗੁ ਛਾਡਿਤ ਕੋਊ ਨ ਆਵਤ ਨੇਰੈ ॥੧॥
But when hard times come, they all leave, and no one comes near you. ||1||
ਸੰਗੁ = ਸਾਥ। ਕੋਊ = ਕੋਈ ਭੀ ॥੧॥
(ਪਰ ਜਦੋਂ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਕੋਈ) ਮੁਸੀਬਤ ਪੈਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਸਾਰੇ ਹੀ ਸਾਥ ਛੱਡ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ, (ਫਿਰ) ਕੋਈ ਭੀ (ਉਸ ਦੇ) ਨੇੜੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਢੁਕਦਾ ॥੧॥

ਘਰ ਕੀ ਨਾਰਿ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਹਿਤੁ ਜਾ ਸਿਉ ਸਦਾ ਰਹਤ ਸੰਗ ਲਾਗੀ ॥
Your wife, whom you love so much, and who has remained ever attached to you,
ਨਾਰਿ = ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ। ਹਿਤੁ = ਪਿਆਰ। ਜਾ ਸਿਉ = ਜਿਸ ਨਾਲ। ਸੰਗਿ = ਨਾਲ {ਲਫ਼ਜ਼ 'ਸੰਗੁ' ਅਤੇ 'ਸੰਗਿ' ਦਾ ਫ਼ਰਕ ਚੇਤੇ ਰੱਖਣਾ}।
ਹੇ ਮਿੱਤਰ! ਘਰ ਦੀ ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ (ਭੀ), ਜਿਸ ਨਾਲ ਬੜਾ ਪਿਆਰ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜੇਹੜੀ ਸਦਾ (ਖਸਮ ਦੇ) ਨਾਲ ਲੱਗੀ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ,

ਜਬ ਹੀ ਹੰਸ ਤਜੀ ਇਹ ਕਾਂਇਆ ਪ੍ਰੇਤ ਪ੍ਰੇਤ ਕਰਿ ਭਾਗੀ ॥੨॥
runs away crying, "Ghost! Ghost!", as soon as the swan-soul leaves this body. ||2||
ਹੰਸ = ਜੀਵਾਤਮਾ। ਕਾਂਇਆ = ਸਰੀਰ। ਪ੍ਰੇਤ = ਗੁਜ਼ਰ ਚੁਕਾ, ਮਰ ਚੁਕਾ। ਕਰਿ = ਆਖ ਕੇ ॥੨॥
ਜਿਸ ਹੀ ਵੇਲੇ (ਪਤੀ ਦਾ) ਜੀਵਾਤਮਾ ਇਸ ਸਰੀਰ ਨੂੰ ਛੱਡ ਦੇਂਦਾ ਹੈ, (ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਉਸ ਤੋਂ ਇਹ ਆਖ ਕੇ) ਪਰੇ ਹਟ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਇਹ ਮਰ ਚੁਕਾ ਹੈ ਮਰ ਚੁਕਾ ਹੈ ॥੨॥

ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੋ ਬਿਉਹਾਰੁ ਬਨਿਓ ਹੈ ਜਾ ਸਿਉ ਨੇਹੁ ਲਗਾਇਓ ॥
This is the way they act - those whom we love so much.
ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੋ = ਇਸ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ। ਬਿਉਹਾਰੁ = ਵਰਤਾਰਾ।
(ਹੇ ਮਿੱਤਰ! ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦਾ) ਇਸ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਦਾ ਵਰਤਾਰਾ ਬਣਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ ਜਿਸ ਨਾਲ (ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨੇ) ਪਿਆਰ ਪਾਇਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ,

ਅੰਤ ਬਾਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਜੀ ਕੋਊ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਇਓ ॥੩॥੧੨॥੧੩੯॥
At the very last moment, O Nanak, no one is any use at all, except the Dear Lord. ||3||12||139||
ਅੰਤ ਬਾਰ = ਅਖ਼ੀਰਲੇ ਸਮੇ। ਕਾਮਿ = ਕੰਮ ਵਿਚ ॥੩॥੧੨॥੧੩੯॥
ਪਰ, ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਅਖ਼ੀਰਲੇ ਸਮੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਹੋਰ ਕੋਈ ਭੀ (ਮਨੁੱਖ ਦੀ) ਮਦਦ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰ ਸਕਦਾ ॥੩॥੧੨॥੧੩੯॥

Oct 30, 2013
Interpretation sound strange but looks logical. What intrigued me most is the new translation of word 'kutamb of sensory organs'. It used to puzzle me, at many occasion that on one hand gurbani inspires us in lavan for 'privarti karam dhridhiya balram jeo' but on the contrary it tells 'eh kutamb sabh kudh hai'. If His creation is 'kudh' then defininately something is wrong with Him as gurbani also tells us, 'nanak sachai ki sachi kar'. Thus this 'bai laagam kutamb of sensory organ my thought pattern which is kudh and not His creation. With this new meaning of 'kutamb' I think I will be able to solve this contradiction. I even used to get surprised on 'eh kutamb jo tu daikda chalai nahi tere naalai' and used to cross question why should I expect someone to go with me after the death. And what good this 'kutamb' could do at last moment of my life or why do I need them last moment of my life. Thus 'ਅੰਤ ਬਾਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਜੀ ਕੋਊ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਇਓ is not the physical death but the message is of spiritual death. And at spiritual death other than guru ka sabd nothing is of any use.

Though Ishna ji has put it very well but that is not the message of sabd. Though we sikh believe that it is all inner journey but when we translate guru ka sabd, we forget we have to link inner sensory organ to apply the real essence for outer relations.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Natural death comes with death of a few cells of 100 percent, as it comes, operative goes off, senses switch off, but balance physical cells of body are yet alive, body is a.metaphor as companion of operative system and senses, it leaves and death of other cells slowly comes, leaving and leading to the physical death of body , it is termed as pret pret kar bhagi.

Many share this after death experience as it come back, as the vital organs have not ceased and there is come back but in short while.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM