• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Anand Sahib - Pauri 25

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

What 25th Pauri of Anand Sahib means to me, I share with you in this post.

1. gur kw sbdu rqMnu hY hIry ijqu jVwau ] gur kaa sabad ratann hai heeray jit jarhaa-o.

Guru’s word is jewel with diamonds studded in it.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib tells me the precious nature of the teachings (Shabad), which my Guru (Sri Guru Granth Sahib) imparts to me. As I am an individual in material world who is trying to become spiritual, to make it easy for me to comprehend, Guru Sahib has used the analogy from material world that of the diamond-studded jewel to emphasise the precious natures of Guru’s teaching. This way Guru Sahib tell me that Shabad of my Guru is as precious in spiritual world; it is ultimate in value as the diamond-studded jewel is in material world.

2. sbdu rqnu ijqu mMnu lwgw eyhu hoAw smwau ] sabad ratan jit man laagaa ayhu ho-aa samaa-o.

The person, who has incorporated the Shabad in her or his mind, merges with Shabad.

My understanding:

The text is very clear. Guru Sahib tells me that if my mind is imbued with Shabad, then I will become one with it; I will resonate with Shabad.

It also tells that it is my mind, which stands between the Shabad and me. If I tame and train my mind to project and reflect Shabad then this Shabad can percolate deep in my being. This way I can become one with Shabad.

It is clear to me that my Guru Sahib is asking me to set this interface i.e. mind in order, in a way which is conducive for realising the teachings of the Shabad.

It means I have to master the processes in my mind, which generates thoughts for simple reason that I am what my thoughts are.

Wah-e-Guru

3. sbd syqI mnu imilAw scY lwieAw Bwau ] sabad saytee man mili-aa sachai laa-i-aa bhaa-o.

When mind gets fine-tuned to the Shabad then the true thoughts dawn.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib tells me that as long as my mind is not effectively tuned to the truth contained in the teachings of my Guru, my inner thoughts cannot be what they should be. It is natural. Once the truth contained in Shabad gets assimilated in my mind and in my being; the thoughts can be nothing but pure i.e. true.

4. Awpy hIrw rqnu Awpy ijs no dyie buJwie ] aapay heeraa ratan aapay jis no day-ay bujhaa-ay.

The person become diamond and jewel (priceless) in her or his own rights, who is given this understanding.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib tells me that the person who graced by ‘The Sat’ with this understanding becomes priceless in the spiritual world.

5. khY nwnku sbdu rqnu hY hIrw ijqu jVwau ]25] kahai naanak sabad ratan hai heeraa jit jarhaa-o. ||25||

Says Nanak, Shabad is jewel that is studded with diamond.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib, for me, re-emphasis the preciousness of the teaching of Shabad.

With this I close my post of 25th Pauri of Anand Sahib.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: