• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Anand Sahib - Pauri 16th

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

Today, I share with you what I understand from the 16th Pauri of Anand Sahib.

1. eyhu soihlw sbdu suhwvw ] ayhu sohilaa sabad suhaavaa.

This beautiful shabad is the pleasing.

My understanding:

To me the meaning of Shabad is not just a word. We use the term Shabad Kirtan; it means Kirtan of what is written in Sri Guru Granth Sahib. This way Shabad, in this context, just does not mean a word but the text of Sri Guru Granth Sahib. In the limit, the complete text of Sri Guru Granth Sahib can be condensed into one word - Shabad. This Shabad i.e. Sri Guru Granth Sahib presents to us a way of living that a householder can follow and evolve spiritually into divinity. It is this Shabad; the way of living that Guru Sahib says is pleasing i.e. to one’s liking or appropriate. This should be the case for all those who live in accordance with Sikhi i.e. in accordance with the teachings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

2. sbdo suhwvw sdw soihlw siqgurU suxwieAw ] sabdo suhaavaa sadaa sohilaa satguroo sunaa-i-aa.

The pleasing words that are appropriate come from Satguru

My understanding:

Here Guru Sahib tells me that the right Shabad i.e. the way of living comes from Satguru i.e. ‘The Sat’. Here there is something to be understood. Sri Guru Granth Sahib is the compilation of the teachings of our Gurus, yet it is said that that it comes from ‘The Satguru’. It is said so because our Gurus had realised ‘The Sat’, consequently their prescription for our life is what they have realised, the source of which is ‘The Sat’ or the Satguru.

3. eyhu iqn kY mMin visAw ijn Durhu iliKAw AwieAw ] ayhu tin kai man vasi-aa jin Dharahu likhi-aa aa-i-aa.

This comes to those minds, which are ordained by the ultimate.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib tells me that this realisation comes only to those who are graced by ‘The Sat’. It is my understanding that this grace is bestowed only on those individuals who are seeking such gift and are training their minds to purify their lives so as to conform to the one prescribed in Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

4. ieik iPrih Gnyry krih glw glI iknY n pwieAw ] ik fireh ghanayray karahi galaa galee kinai na paa-i-aa.

Some wander a lot, babbling on the ways, none get it.

My understanding:

In this sentence Guru Sahib further confirm that none of the outward practice can qualify the individual for this grace from ‘The Sat’. Purity of thought, speech and action is what is needed to become worthy for the grace from ‘The Sat’. It is the inward purity that expresses itself in our outward practice of true living.

5. khY nwnku sbdu soihlw siqgurU suxwieAw ]16] kahai naanak sabad sohilaa satguroo sunaa-i-aa. ||16||

Says Nanak the beautiful Shabad Satguru only conveys.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib one again emphasis the element of grace that is needed to be able to listen to this beautiful, appropriate, blessing Shabad.

With this I close.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: Anand Sahib: 16th Pauri: My understanding

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru ji Ki fateh.

Veer Amarpal Singh Ji,

Thank You for this wonderful explanation. I really loved spending some time reading through your understanding of "Shabad"..the Prescription for Life.

Stay in Chardikala...and keep spreading the light. You are a kindred spirit.

Love for all

Jarnail singh

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Re: Anand Sahib: 16th Pauri: My understanding

Dear Khalsa Ji,

This Sevadar will continue to serve to support Sikhi and the Khalsa Panth for all the time 'The Sat' gives me strength and with blessing from all of you.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM