• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Anand Sahib - Pauri 10

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

With the grace of ‘The Sat’, today, I share with you my understanding of the 10th Pauri of Anand Sahib.

1. ey mn cMclw cqurweI iknY n pwieAw ] ay man chanchlaa chaturaa-ee kinai na paa-i-aa.

O naughty mind through cleverness no one has obtained.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib here instructs me that human mental faculties alone are not enough to merge with “The Sat’. We humans cannot act smart and get the grace of ‘The Sat’. What Guru Sahib has said is very logical. Human mind has evolved for the worldly life, that too slowly over a long time for functions that are, by and large, common to all the mankind. Merging with ‘The Sat’ is a rare and uncommon event; naturally, it would not have got incorporated into the functioning brain in the process of evolution. Furthermore they cleverness of the mind that humans use to get what the individuals want will not work with ‘The Sat’ as ‘The Sat’ knows all; ‘The Sat’ cannot be tricked.

2. cqurweI n pwieAw iknY qU suix mMn myirAw ] chaturaa-ee na paa-i-aa kinai too sun man mayri-aa.

By cleverness no one has obtained, you listen my mind.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib repeats what he said in the first sentence. Guru Sahib repeats to emphasis this point, probably, to make sure that I have understood it.

3. eyh mwieAw mohxI ijin eyqu Brim BulwieAw ] ayh maa-i-aa mohnee jin ayt bharam bhulaa-i-aa.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib here cautions me. He tells me that this Maya (which I take as creation of our human mind) is so attractive and convincing that one falsely starts accepting it as real and finally suffers in endless wandering.

4. mwieAw q mohxI iqnY kIqI ijin TgaulI pweIAw ] maa-i-aa ta mohnee tinai keetee jin thag-ulee paa-ee-aa.

The one who creates Maya and extreme attractiveness; administer this instrument of deception.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib says that ‘The Sat’ has created this Maya and attractiveness and it is the same ‘Sat’ who lets the individuals to get involved in it and get deceived. In other words Maya should not fool me into loosing my path to ‘The Sat’. This caution Guru Sahib wants me to exercise. Guru Sahib instructs me to use wisdom to avoid the trap of Maya, which is natural environment of the worldly life.

Here it is important for me to share with you, what the word wisdom means to me, and how it is cultivated?

Wisdom is a mental ability to discriminate facts from fiction and to sift truth from falsehood.

In the context of spirituality the environment for this wisdom to blossom is (i) devotion to ‘The Sat’; (ii) living in communion with ‘The Sat’; (iii) consciousness born out of continence; (iv) mind free from desires; and (v) senses free from any types of greed. The light of ‘The Sat’ then shines in the individual’s functioning brain and the wisdom is the consequence. Naturally, Maya can have no hold on such individual; this individual can see through it, the truth.

5. kurbwxu kIqw iqsY ivthu ijin mohu mITw lwieAw ] kurbaan keetaa tisai vitahu jin moh meethaa laa-i-aa.

Sacrifice myself to the One who has made this attachment so sweet.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib is now appreciating with awe, the greatness of ‘The Sat’ who has created the sweet feeling of attachment to what essentially is Maya, a deception. In this way Guru Sahib tells me that ‘The Sat’ is cleverer than any cleverest human.

6. khY nwnku mn cMcl cqurweI iknY n pwieAw ]10] kahai naanak man chanchal chaturaa-ee kinai na paa-i-aa. ||10||

Says Nanak, naughty mind, through cleverness no one has obtained.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib once again repeats for me that by cleverness no one has reached ‘The Sat’.

Here it becomes very clear why Guru Sahib has drawn my attention to Maya and Mohini. These both are created by ‘The Sat’ to defeat the so-called clever people in there own game. These clever people get entangled in the web that Maya and Mohini spin around them. ‘The Sat’ is always greater than the greatest individual; no one can trick or fool ‘The Sat’ by her or his cleverness.

With this I close.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: