• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

An Amazing Shabad !

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Sat Sangat Ji,

An amazing Shabad i came across which sits very deeply in my heart. It Would be great to hear from you about your thoughts on this Shabad and if/how it has a personal significance to your spiritual practice as a Sikh or Non Sikh.

God Bless

siqGuru syiv AlK giq jw kI sRI rwmdwsu qwrx qrxM ]2] (1402-1)
satgur gur sayv alakh gat jaa kee saree raamdaas taaran tarna<sup>N</sup>. ||2||
So serve the Guru, the True Guru; His ways and means are inscrutable. The Great Guru Raam Daas is the Boat to carry us across. ||2||
sMswru Agm swgru qulhw hir nwmu gurU muiK pwXw ] (1402-1)
sansaar agam saagar tulhaa har naam guroo mukh paa-yaa.
The Name of the Lord, from the Mouth of the Guru, is the Raft to cross over the unfathomable world-ocean.
jig jnm mrxu Bgw ieh AweI hIAY prqIiq ] (1402-2)
jag janam maran bhagaa ih aa-ee hee-ai parteet.
The cycle of birth and death in this world is ended for those who have this faith in their hearts.
prqIiq hIAY AweI ijn jn kY iqn@ kau pdvI auc BeI ] (1402-3)
parteet hee-ai aa-ee jin jan kai tin<sup>H</sup> ka-o padvee uch bha-ee.
Those humble beings who have this faith in their hearts, are awarded the highest status.
qij mwieAw mohu loBu Aru lwlcu kwm k®oD kI ibRQw geI ] (1402-3)
taj maa-i-aa moh lobh ar laalach kaam kroDh kee baritha ga-ee.
They forsake Maya, emotional attachment and greed; they are rid of the frustrations of possessiveness, sexual desire and anger.
Avlok´w bRhmu Brmu sBu Cutk´w idb´ idRis† kwrx krxM ] (1402-4)
avlok-yaa barahm bharam sabh chhut-yaa dib-y darisat kaaran karna<sup>N</sup>.
They are blessed with the Inner Vision to see God, the Cause of causes, and all their doubts are dispelled.
siqGuru syiv AlK giq jw kI sRI rwmdwsu qwrx qrxM ]3] (1402-4)
satgur gur sayv alakh gat jaa kee saree raamdaas taaran tarna<sup>N</sup>. ||3||
So serve the Guru, the True Guru; His ways and means are inscrutable. The Great Guru Raam Daas is the Boat to carry us across. ||3||
prqwpu sdw gur kw Git Git prgwsu BXw jsu jn kY ] (1402-5)
partaap sadaa gur kaa ghat ghat pargaas bha-yaa jas jan kai.
The Glorious Greatness of the Guru is manifest forever in each and every heart. His humble servants sing His Praises.
ieik pVih suxih gwvih prBwiqih krih ies˜wnu ] (1402-6)
ik parheh suneh gaavahi parbhaatihi karahi isnaan.
Some read and listen and sing of Him, taking their cleansing bath in the early hours of the morning before the dawn.
ies˜wnu krih prBwiq suD min gur pUjw ibiD sihq krM ] (1402-6)
isnaan karahi parbhaat suDh man gur poojaa biDh sahit kara<sup>N</sup>.
After their cleansing bath in the hours before the dawn, they worship the Guru with their minds pure and clear.
kMcnu qnu hoie pris pwrs kau joiq srUpI D´wnu DrM ] (1402-7)
kanchan tan ho-ay paras paaras ka-o jot saroopee Dhayaan Dhara<sup>N</sup>.
Touching the Philosopher's Stone, their bodies are transformed into gold. They focus their meditation on the Embodiment of Divine Light.
jgjIvnu jgMnwQu jl Ql mih rihAw pUir bhu ibiD brnµ ] (1402-8)
jagjeevan jagannaath jal thal meh rahi-aa poor baho biDh barana<sup>N</sup>.
The Master of the Universe, the very Life of the World pervades the sea and the land, manifesting Himself in myriads of ways.
siqGuru syiv AlK giq jw kI sRI rwmdwsu qwrx qrxM ]4] (1402-8)
satgur gur sayv alakh gat jaa kee saree raamdaas taaran tarna<sup>N</sup>. ||4||
So serve the Guru, the True Guru; His ways and means are inscrutable. The Great Guru Raam Daas is the Boat to carry us across. ||4||
ijnhu bwq insçl DR¨A jwnI qyeI jIv kwl qy bcw ] (1402-9)
jinahu baat nischal Dharoo-a jaanee tay-ee jeev kaal tay bachaa.
Those who realize the Eternal, Unchanging Word of God, like Dhroo, are immune to death.
iqn@ qirE smudRü rudRü iKn iek mih jlhr ibMb jugiq jgu rcw ] (1402-9)
tin<sup>H</sup> tari-o samudar rudar khin ik meh jalhar bimb jugat jag rachaa.
They cross over the terrifying world-ocean in an instant; the Lord created the world like a bubble of water.
kuMflnI surJI sqsMgiq prmwnµd gurU muiK mcw ] (1402-10)
kundlanee surjhee satsangat parmaanand guroo mukh machaa.
The Kundalini rises in the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation; through the Word of the Guru, they enjoy the Lord of Supreme Bliss.
isrI gurU swihbu sB aUpir mn bc k®Mm syvIAY scw ]5] (1402-11)
siree guroo saahib sabh oopar man bach krem sayvee-ai sachaa. ||5||
The Supreme Guru is the Lord and Master over all; so serve the True Guru, in thought, word and deed. ||5||
vwihgurU vwihgurU vwihgurU vwih jIau ] (1402-11)
vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahi jee-o.
Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o.
kvl nYn mDur bYn koit sYn sMg soB khq mw jsod ijsih dhI Bwqu Kwih jIau ] (1402-12)
kaval nain maDhur bain kot sain sang sobh kahat maa jasod jisahi dahee bhaat khaahi jee-o.
You are lotus-eyed, with sweet speech, exalted and embellished with millions of companions. Mother Yashoda invited You as Krishna to eat the sweet rice.
dyiK rUpu Aiq AnUpu moh mhw mg BeI ikMknI sbd Jnqkwr Kylu pwih jIau ] (1402-13)
daykh roop at anoop moh mahaa mag bha-ee kinknee sabad jhanatkaar khayl paahi jee-o.
Gazing upon Your supremely beautiful form, and hearing the musical sounds of Your silver bells tinkling, she was intoxicated with delight.
kwl klm hukmu hwiQ khhu kaunu myit skY eIsu bMm´ü g´wnu D´wnu Drq hIAY cwih jIau ] (1402-14)
kaal kalam hukam haath kahhu ka-un mayt sakai ees bamm-yu ga-yaan Dhayaan Dharat hee-ai chaahi jee-o.
Death's pen and command are in Your hands. Tell me, who can erase it? Shiva and Brahma yearn to enshrine Your spiritual wisdom in their hearts.
siq swcu sRI invwsu Awid purKu sdw quhI vwihgurU vwihgurU vwihgurU vwih jIau ]1]6] (1402-14)
sat saach saree nivaas aad purakh sadaa tuhee vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahi jee-o. ||1||6||
You are forever True, the Home of Excellence, the Primal Supreme Being. Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o. ||1||6||

This is from Ang 1402/spnadmi Please adhere to TOS. Also the Gurmukhi font is not showing up because this was probably copied from a non-unicode site.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
As a background note: The shabad is part of the group referred to as the Bhatt bani These were written by Hindu poets in praise of Guru Nanak to Guru Ram Das. Guru Arjan Dev included some of these praises because of the Bhat poets beliefs in one God.

Sikh scholars considered the Bhatts to be artists and scholars of the Vedas. Often these shabads are taken to be support for recitation of the Waheguru Mantra. However this is not correct. One should not take references to things like the "kundalini" literally. Though literally taken by the Bhats, many images in the shabad have metaphorical significance in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

A good essay about their beliefs and their relationship with the Guru Sahibhan at this link
http://searchgurbani.com/bhatts

There are other threads here at SPN that explore these shabads. Please read them for background on this shabad.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Re: The Revealing of the Truth - An amazing shabad i came across

As a background note: The shabad is part of the group referred to as the Bhatt bani These were written by Hindu poets in praise of Guru Nanak to Guru Ram Das. Guru Arjan Dev included some of these praises because of the Bhat poets beliefs in one God.

Often these shabads are taken to be support for recitation of the Waheguru Mantra. However this is not correct. One should not take references to things like the "kundalini" literally. Though literally taken by the Bhats, many images in the shabad have metaphorical significance in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

A good essay about their beliefs and their relationship with the Guru Sahibhan at this link
http://searchgurbani.com/bhatts

I agree mostly...

i don't think the Shabad is implying one must recite the Waheguru Mantra...in this particular Shabad i feel like you said it is in Praise of Guru Ji.

I once thought (many years ago) that reference to some of the other things in this Shabad were just Metaphors...I still think some of them are...

But some...inner vision, kundalini rising, hearing the musical sounds etc etc...i believe have some substance...

This is why such Shabads mean a lot to me, as they stop me from thinking that i am crazy and allow me to continue without questioning faith in my Guru any longer...even though the world may think that i'm NUTS :)

I think there is more to the inclusion of these Shabads than merely a belief in one god by the Hindu poets...surely the contents of the shabad contained absolute truth or they described the Hindu Poets experience of the Truth....otherwise why include them...they would prove to be more of a hurdle for the future truth seeker that of any benefit...

The danger is that readers take these words and focus all their energy on them...people are obsessed with raising their 'Kundalini'..countless forums and books on this subject and how to raise the kundalini...but there's no method that will do this...just love, seva, simran etc etc...

Just an opinion Ji...i find these shabads amazing...I think i'll let Guru Ji reveal to me what is a metaphor and what is a reality...i think that's the exciting and Fun part of the seeking..

God Bless ji

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

chazSingh ji

We are all free to believe what we will. I am simply giving readers background because so many times the shabads of the Bhatts are used inappropriately. It is my duty as student of ShabadGuru. Thank you for your comments.

Much appreciated...

i look forward to other members understanding and experience of this Shabad also.

God Bless Ji

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I can only speak for myself when I say my relationship to Gurbani is very dynamic. Sometimes a shabad will have me enraptured, other times I don't understand it. This is a shabad in the latter group for me at the moment. It doesn't speak to me. Apologies, Chaz veerji.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
WHY is the Word SATGUR WRONGLY SPELT throughout the Shabad....( in the Gurmukhi alphabet). The Shabad seems to be copied form Sri Granth Org

<table cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr></tr><tr><td> ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿ ਅਲਖ ਗਤਿ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਰਾਮਦਾਸੁ ਤਾਰਣ ਤਰਣੰ ॥੨॥
सतिगुरु गुरु सेवि अलख गति जा की स्री रामदासु तारण तरणं ॥२॥
Saṯgur gur sev alakẖ gaṯ jā kī sarī Rāmḏās ṯāraṇ ṯarṇaʼn. ||2||
So serve the Guru, the True Guru; His ways and means are inscrutable. The Great Guru Raam Daas is the Boat to carry us across. ||2||
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ਅਗਮ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਤੁਲਹਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਯਾ
संसारु अगम सागरु तुलहा हरि नामु गुरू मुखि पाया ॥
Sansār agam sāgar ṯulhā har nām gurū mukẖ pā▫yā.
The Name of the Lord, from the Mouth of the Guru, is the Raft to cross over the unfathomable world-ocean.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਜਗਿ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣੁ ਭਗਾ ਇਹ ਆਈ ਹੀਐ ਪਰਤੀਤਿ
जगि जनम मरणु भगा इह आई हीऐ परतीति ॥
Jag janam maraṇ bẖagā ih ā▫ī hī▫ai parṯīṯ.
The cycle of birth and death in this world is ended for those who have this faith in their hearts.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਪਰਤੀਤਿ ਹੀਐ ਆਈ ਜਿਨ ਜਨ ਕੈ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਕਉ ਪਦਵੀ ਉਚ ਭਈ
परतीति हीऐ आई जिन जन कै तिन्ह कउ पदवी उच भई ॥
Parṯīṯ hī▫ai ā▫ī jin jan kai ṯinĥ ka▫o paḏvī ucẖ bẖa▫ī.
Those humble beings who have this faith in their hearts, are awarded the highest status.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਤਜਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਅਰੁ ਲਾਲਚੁ ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਕੀ ਬ੍ਰਿਥਾ ਗਈ
तजि माइआ मोहु लोभु अरु लालचु काम क्रोध की ब्रिथा गई ॥
Ŧaj mā▫i▫ā moh lobẖ ar lālacẖ kām kroḏẖ kī baritha ga▫ī.
They forsake Maya, emotional attachment and greed; they are rid of the frustrations of possessiveness, sexual desire and anger.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਅਵਲੋਕ੍ਯ੍ਯਾ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਭਰਮੁ ਸਭੁ ਛੁਟਕ੍ਯ੍ਯਾ ਦਿਬ੍ਯ੍ਯ ਦ੍ਰਿਸ੍ਟਿ ਕਾਰਣ ਕਰਣੰ
अवलोक्या ब्रहमु भरमु सभु छुटक्या दिब्य द्रिस्टि कारण करणं ॥
Avlok▫yā barahm bẖaram sabẖ cẖẖut▫yā ḏib▫y ḏarisat kāraṇ karṇaʼn.
They are blessed with the Inner Vision to see God, the Cause of causes, and all their doubts are dispelled.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿ ਅਲਖ ਗਤਿ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਰਾਮਦਾਸੁ ਤਾਰਣ ਤਰਣੰ ॥੩॥
सतिगुरु गुरु सेवि अलख गति जा की स्री रामदासु तारण तरणं ॥३॥
Saṯgur gur sev alakẖ gaṯ jā kī sarī Rāmḏās ṯāraṇ ṯarṇaʼn. ||3||
So serve the Guru, the True Guru; His ways and means are inscrutable. The Great Guru Raam Daas is the Boat to carry us across. ||3||
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਪਰਤਾਪੁ ਸਦਾ ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਪਰਗਾਸੁ ਭਯਾ ਜਸੁ ਜਨ ਕੈ
परतापु सदा गुर का घटि घटि परगासु भया जसु जन कै ॥
Parṯāp saḏā gur kā gẖat gẖat pargās bẖa▫yā jas jan kai.
The Glorious Greatness of the Guru is manifest forever in each and every heart. His humble servants sing His Praises.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਇਕਿ ਪੜਹਿ ਸੁਣਹਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਪਰਭਾਤਿਹਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਇਸ੍ਨਾਨੁ
इकि पड़हि सुणहि गावहि परभातिहि करहि इस्नानु ॥
Ik paṛėh suṇėh gāvahi parbẖāṯihi karahi isnān.
Some read and listen and sing of Him, taking their cleansing bath in the early hours of the morning before the dawn.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਇਸ੍ਨਾਨੁ ਕਰਹਿ ਪਰਭਾਤਿ ਸੁਧ ਮਨਿ ਗੁਰ ਪੂਜਾ ਬਿਧਿ ਸਹਿਤ ਕਰੰ
इस्नानु करहि परभाति सुध मनि गुर पूजा बिधि सहित करं ॥
Isnān karahi parbẖāṯ suḏẖ man gur pūjā biḏẖ sahiṯ karaʼn.
After their cleansing bath in the hours before the dawn, they worship the Guru with their minds pure and clear.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਕੰਚਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਹੋਇ ਪਰਸਿ ਪਾਰਸ ਕਉ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੀ ਧ੍ਯ੍ਯਾਨੁ ਧਰੰ
कंचनु तनु होइ परसि पारस कउ जोति सरूपी ध्यानु धरं ॥
Kancẖan ṯan ho▫e paras pāras ka▫o joṯ sarūpī ḏẖeān ḏẖaraʼn.
Touching the Philosopher's Stone, their bodies are transformed into gold. They focus their meditation on the Embodiment of Divine Light.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਜਗਜੀਵਨੁ ਜਗੰਨਾਥੁ ਜਲ ਥਲ ਮਹਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਪੂਰਿ ਬਹੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਬਰਨੰ
जगजीवनु जगंनाथु जल थल महि रहिआ पूरि बहु बिधि बरनं ॥
Jagjīvan jagannāth jal thal mėh rahi▫ā pūr baho biḏẖ baranaʼn.
The Master of the Universe, the very Life of the World pervades the sea and the land, manifesting Himself in myriads of ways.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿ ਅਲਖ ਗਤਿ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਰਾਮਦਾਸੁ ਤਾਰਣ ਤਰਣੰ ॥੪॥
सतिगुरु गुरु सेवि अलख गति जा की स्री रामदासु तारण तरणं ॥४॥
Saṯgur gur sev alakẖ gaṯ jā kī sarī Rāmḏās ṯāraṇ ṯarṇaʼn. ||4||
So serve the Guru, the True Guru; His ways and means are inscrutable. The Great Guru Raam Daas is the Boat to carry us across. ||4||
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਜਿਨਹੁ ਬਾਤ ਨਿਸ੍ਚਲ ਧ੍ਰੂਅ ਜਾਨੀ ਤੇਈ ਜੀਵ ਕਾਲ ਤੇ ਬਚਾ
जिनहु बात निस्चल ध्रूअ जानी तेई जीव काल ते बचा ॥
Jinahu bāṯ niscẖal ḏẖarū▫a jānī ṯe▫ī jīv kāl ṯe bacẖā.
Those who realize the Eternal, Unchanging Word of God, like Dhroo, are immune to death.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਤਰਿਓ ਸਮੁਦ੍ਰੁ ਰੁਦ੍ਰੁ ਖਿਨ ਇਕ ਮਹਿ ਜਲਹਰ ਬਿੰਬ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਜਗੁ ਰਚਾ
तिन्ह तरिओ समुद्रु रुद्रु खिन इक महि जलहर बि्मब जुगति जगु रचा ॥
Ŧinĥ ṯari▫o samuḏar ruḏar kẖin ik mėh jalhar bimb jugaṯ jag racẖā.
They cross over the terrifying world-ocean in an instant; the Lord created the world like a bubble of water.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਕੁੰਡਲਨੀ ਸੁਰਝੀ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਪਰਮਾਨੰਦ ਗੁਰੂ ਮੁਖਿ ਮਚਾ
कुंडलनी सुरझी सतसंगति परमानंद गुरू मुखि मचा ॥
Kundlanī surjẖī saṯsangaṯ parmānanḏ gurū mukẖ macẖā.
The Kundalini rises in the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation; through the Word of the Guru, they enjoy the Lord of Supreme Bliss.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਸਿਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਭ ਊਪਰਿ ਮਨ ਬਚ ਕ੍ਰੰਮ ਸੇਵੀਐ ਸਚਾ ॥੫॥
सिरी गुरू साहिबु सभ ऊपरि मन बच क्रम सेवीऐ सचा ॥५॥
Sirī gurū sāhib sabẖ ūpar man bacẖ krėm sevī▫ai sacẖā. ||5||
The Supreme Guru is the Lord and Master over all; so serve the True Guru, in thought, word and deed. ||5||
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਾਹਿ ਜੀਉ
वाहिगुरू वाहिगुरू वाहिगुरू वाहि जीउ ॥
vāhigurū vāhigurū vāhigurū vāhi jī▫o.
Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਕਵਲ ਨੈਨ ਮਧੁਰ ਬੈਨ ਕੋਟਿ ਸੈਨ ਸੰਗ ਸੋਭ ਕਹਤ ਮਾ ਜਸੋਦ ਜਿਸਹਿ ਦਹੀ ਭਾਤੁ ਖਾਹਿ ਜੀਉ
कवल नैन मधुर बैन कोटि सैन संग सोभ कहत मा जसोद जिसहि दही भातु खाहि जीउ ॥
Kaval nain maḏẖur bain kot sain sang sobẖ kahaṯ mā jasoḏ jisahi ḏahī bẖāṯ kẖāhi jī▫o.
You are lotus-eyed, with sweet speech, exalted and embellished with millions of companions. Mother Yashoda invited You as Krishna to eat the sweet rice.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਦੇਖਿ ਰੂਪੁ ਅਤਿ ਅਨੂਪੁ ਮੋਹ ਮਹਾ ਮਗ ਭਈ ਕਿੰਕਨੀ ਸਬਦ ਝਨਤਕਾਰ ਖੇਲੁ ਪਾਹਿ ਜੀਉ
देखि रूपु अति अनूपु मोह महा मग भई किंकनी सबद झनतकार खेलु पाहि जीउ ॥
Ḏekẖ rūp aṯ anūp moh mahā mag bẖa▫ī kinknī sabaḏ jẖanaṯkār kẖel pāhi jī▫o.
Gazing upon Your supremely beautiful form, and hearing the musical sounds of Your silver bells tinkling, she was intoxicated with delight.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਕਾਲ ਕਲਮ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਹਾਥਿ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਉਨੁ ਮੇਟਿ ਸਕੈ ਈਸੁ ਬੰਮ੍ਯ੍ਯੁ ਗ੍ਯ੍ਯਾਨੁ ਧ੍ਯ੍ਯਾਨੁ ਧਰਤ ਹੀਐ ਚਾਹਿ ਜੀਉ
काल कलम हुकमु हाथि कहहु कउनु मेटि सकै ईसु बम्यु ग्यानु ध्यानु धरत हीऐ चाहि जीउ ॥
Kāl kalam hukam hāth kahhu ka▫un met sakai īs bamm▫yu ga▫yān ḏẖeān ḏẖaraṯ hī▫ai cẖāhi jī▫o.
Death's pen and command are in Your hands. Tell me, who can erase it? Shiva and Brahma yearn to enshrine Your spiritual wisdom in their hearts.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਸਤਿ ਸਾਚੁ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਨਿਵਾਸੁ ਆਦਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਸਦਾ ਤੁਹੀ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਾਹਿ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥੬॥
सति साचु स्री निवासु आदि पुरखु सदा तुही वाहिगुरू वाहिगुरू वाहिगुरू वाहि जीउ ॥१॥६॥
Saṯ sācẖ sarī nivās āḏ purakẖ saḏā ṯuhī vāhigurū vāhigurū vāhigurū vāhi jī▫o. ||1||6||
You are forever True, the Home of Excellence, the Primal Supreme Being. Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o. ||1||6||
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਪਰਮ ਧਾਮ ਸੁਧ ਬੁਧ ਨਿਰੀਕਾਰ ਬੇਸੁਮਾਰ ਸਰਬਰ ਕਉ ਕਾਹਿ ਜੀਉ
राम नाम परम धाम सुध बुध निरीकार बेसुमार सरबर कउ काहि जीउ ॥
Rām nām param ḏẖām suḏẖ buḏẖ nirīkār besumār sarbar ka▫o kāhi jī▫o.
You are blessed with the Lord's Name, the supreme mansion, and clear understanding. You are the Formless, Infinite Lord; who can compare to You?
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਸੁਥਰ ਚਿਤ ਭਗਤ ਹਿਤ ਭੇਖੁ ਧਰਿਓ ਹਰਨਾਖਸੁ ਹਰਿਓ ਨਖ ਬਿਦਾਰਿ ਜੀਉ
सुथर चित भगत हित भेखु धरिओ हरनाखसु हरिओ नख बिदारि जीउ ॥
Suthar cẖiṯ bẖagaṯ hiṯ bẖekẖ ḏẖari▫o harnākẖas hari▫o nakẖ biḏār jī▫o.
For the sake of the pure-hearted devotee Prahlaad, You took the form of the man-lion, to tear apart and destroy Harnaakhash with your claws.
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਸੰਖ ਚਕ੍ਰ ਗਦਾ ਪਦਮ ਆਪਿ ਆਪੁ ਕੀਓ ਛਦਮ ਅਪਰੰਪਰ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਲਖੈ ਕਉਨੁ ਤਾਹਿ ਜੀਉ
संख चक्र गदा पदम आपि आपु कीओ छदम अपर्मपर पारब्रहम लखै कउनु ताहि जीउ ॥
Sankẖ cẖakar gaḏā paḏam āp āp kī▫o cẖẖaḏam aprampar pārbarahm lakẖai ka▫un ṯāhi jī▫o.
You are the Infinite Supreme Lord God; with your symbols of power, You deceived Baliraja; who can know You?
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਸਤਿ ਸਾਚੁ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਨਿਵਾਸੁ ਆਦਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਸਦਾ ਤੁਹੀ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਾਹਿ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥੭॥
सति साचु स्री निवासु आदि पुरखु सदा तुही वाहिगुरू वाहिगुरू वाहिगुरू वाहि जीउ ॥२॥७॥
Saṯ sācẖ sarī nivās āḏ purakẖ saḏā ṯuhī vāhigurū vāhigurū vāhigurū vāhi jī▫o. ||2||7||
You are forever True, the Home of Excellence, the Primal Supreme Being. Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o. ||2||7||
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਪੀਤ ਬਸਨ ਕੁੰਦ ਦਸਨ ਪ੍ਰਿਆ ਸਹਿਤ ਕੰਠ ਮਾਲ ਮੁਕਟੁ ਸੀਸਿ ਮੋਰ ਪੰਖ ਚਾਹਿ ਜੀਉ
पीत बसन कुंद दसन प्रिआ सहित कंठ माल मुकटु सीसि मोर पंख चाहि जीउ ॥
Pīṯ basan kunḏ ḏasan pari▫a sahiṯ kanṯẖ māl mukat sīs mor pankẖ cẖāhi jī▫o.
As Krishna, You wear yellow robes, with teeth like jasmine flowers; You dwell with Your lovers, with Your mala around Your neck, and You joyfully adorn Your head with the crow of pea{censored} feathers.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
For those who can't see the non-unicode, the misspelling in the pasted text in the post by Chazji is: ਸਤਿਘੁਰੁ <-- this is wrong. Gyani ji provided the shabad with the correct spelling in post #7.

You ask a very good question, Gyaniji. Why is it like that?? Does it change the meaning of the word or is it just nonsense?

What site did you use, Chazji?

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It is not nonsense, nor a typo, nor a mispelling. It is the romanized code that was used during the days of ASCI II (pre Unicode) to represent non-roman alphabets. It is actually a phonetically universal system. You can type in Egyptian hieroglyphics, Welsh Gaelic or Cymraeg, any language that has a unique and non-Roman scipt. The sound to letter match is always the same language to language.

Scholars used this at the dawn, the beginning of digital communication - actually before the worldwide web.

It shows up on our forum because to display Gurbani properly there has to be a server translation program that matches what you see to a font that we support. Whenever someone is not using the srigranth web site, or any web site using Unicode fonts, this is what happens. For example, it happens with SikhiToTheMax scripts, based on Gurbani Akhar Thick.

The crazy code is perfectly phonetic. I can read it.

s = s
i = "uh" as you hear the "a" in Sat
q = t
G = g
u = "oo" as in took
r = r
U = "oo" as in boo!

The person who copies and pastes this misbegotten script doesn't even realize because to him/her it looks fine. They have the necessary font - e.g., Gurbani Akhar Thick- on the computer. But we don't support Gurbani Akhar thick. To our readers it looks bizarre.

Gyani ji Thanks for reposting the shabad. I become so frustrated with the problem, that the help is great to get.

Ishna ji, Where do you see "ਸਤਿਘੁਰੁ?' I can't find it. If chazSingh ji did not post in Unicode, then it wouldn't be scripted as ਸਤਿਘੁਰੁ. It would have to be in roman letters. Can you point me to the line number

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Thank you for the background admin ji. When I pasted the first line of roman characters into the Gurmukhi font converter I got the ਘੁ symbol. I assume that is the spelling mistake Gyaniji is talking about. Without the original website I cannot be sure.

Perhaps the font converter got it wrong. http://punjabi.aglsoft.com/punjabi/converter/

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I see and thanks, ishna ji

I thought so. What happened is that you took the romanized line and then converted the font. The convertor also got mixed up and gave you the wrong Gurmukhi letters because the convertor doesn't know what is going on either.

The lesson for all members to be learned from all of this, and the problem crops up whenever older versions of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji files are copied. Do not use desk-top versions from any of the big sites if they are older version. Do not use gurbani from the Gurbani Files site, unless you use the Unicode version; do not use SikhiToTheMax; do not use pdf files. Only use sites that support Unicode. It is called Unicode because everyone can read it, on any operating system and in any browser.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

chazSingh ji

We are all free to believe what we will. I am simply giving readers background because so many times the shabads of the Bhatts are used inappropriately. It is my duty as student of ShabadGuru. Thank you for your comments.

Hi SPNAdmin Ji,

Why has the thread title been changed to just 'An Amazing Shabad'? I wasnt informed of this...

Also Ji, When We were told to accept the Granth as our True Guru, we were told to accept it as the 'complete Truth' regardless of which shabad was physcially written by whom.

Guru Ji didn't tell us what shabads were more important...or which shabad contained more truth that the others.

I find it strange that we must look into the background of who wrote the shabads, who they were, where they came from...

We know already where they came from...they came from Waheguru Himself...the Vessel (human Body) that Waheguru chose to write the words with makes no Difference at all...the Guru's when they came across writing by others, recognised the words of God and thus included them...

The Words of the Waheguru are the Words of WaheGuru...

God Bless Ji

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
So, just for clarity, because I do tend to perseverate; is there, or isn't there, a spelling error throughout the Gurbani pasted by Chaz ji in the OP?

Many thanks

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Hi SPNAdmin Ji,

Why has the thread title been changed to just 'An Amazing Shabad'? I wasnt informed of this...

Also Ji, When We were told to accept the Granth as our True Guru, we were told to accept it as the 'complete Truth' regardless of which shabad was physcially written by whom.

Guru Ji didn't tell us what shabads were more important...or which shabad contained more truth that the others.

I find it strange that we must look into the background of who wrote the shabads, who they were, where they came from...

We know already where they came from...they came from Waheguru Himself...the Vessel (human Body) that Waheguru chose to write the words with makes no Difference at all...the Guru's when they came across writing by others, recognised the words of God and thus included them...

The Words of the Waheguru are the Words of WaheGuru...

God Bless Ji

The shabad is the Truth. The thread is not.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
So, just for clarity, because I do tend to perseverate; is there, or isn't there, a spelling error throughout the Gurbani pasted by Chaz ji in the OP?

Many thanks

Only if you use the Punjabi as presented by the converter.

siqGurU is not mispelled; it is just strange. And hardly anyone would know what it is all about.
Converted to Gurmukhi font, yes, it is mispelled.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I wonder WHERE the "Original" poster cut and pasted his Shabad version from ? Except for the Wrongly spelled SATGUR..everything else in his post is exactly as on the srigranth.org form which i cut and pasted my posted shabad. I ma perplexed as to how just one single most important word could get it so ???

In typing...the Right "stgur" was replaced by "stGur"...Normally a SHIFT KEY PRESS CHANGES the Letter....something which a Font convertor wont do. The Font Convertor Ishan Ji used is used regularly by me and it merely outputs whats INPUT to it. It doesnt change anything.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I wonder WHERE the "Original" poster cut and pasted his Shabad version from ? Except for the Wrongly spelled SATGUR..everything else in his post is exactly as on the srigranth.org form which i cut and pasted my posted shabad. I ma perplexed as to how just one single most important word could get it so ???

In typing...the Right "stgur" was replaced by "stGur"...Normally a SHIFT KEY PRESS CHANGES the Letter....something which a Font convertor wont do. The Font Convertor Ishan Ji used is used regularly by me and it merely outputs whats INPUT to it. It doesnt change anything.

It was copy and pasted from 'Sikhi to the Max'

SPNAdmin Ji has already explained why this happens, please see below froom SPNAdmin Ji response.

It shows up on our forum because to display Gurbani properly there has to be a server translation program that matches what you see to a font that we support. Whenever someone is not using the srigranth web site, or any web site using Unicode fonts, this is what happens. For example, it happens with SikhiToTheMax scripts, based on Gurbani Akhar Thick.

The crazy code is perfectly phonetic. I can read it.

s = s
i = "uh" as you hear the "a" in Sat
q = t
G = g
u = "oo" as in took
r = r
U = "oo" as in boo!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: