• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Amritdharis And Non Amritdharis

Apr 4, 2007
Rehat as is isssued by SGPC. This is the only body right now. May be you do not like,I am not very sure.

the panthic rehat maryada on the SGPC website was not issued by SGPC. it was compiled by scholars on behalf of the SGPCk, but it was issued by Akal Takht. Akal Takht is the supreme temporal authority for sikhs.

the historical rehetnamas that preceeded the current panthic rehat were full of contradictions, depending on whether the author hated hindus or muslims more. if you read through them you can see vast differences based on the political climate at the time they were written.

the other legitimate modern rehat that i know of is of damdami taksal. while it contradicts the panthic rehet on the meat issue and the required number of nitnem banis, i would say the rest of it is completely inline. it's a bit more strict and much more detailed, and there is nothing wrong with that.

in my leaner's opinion, the panthic rehat is the baseline. anything above and beyond that is wonderful, if you can manage it.

you should read some of the historical rehatnamas, they're quite entertaining. they describe what colours of clothing to wear (contradicting each other, one says you should wear green, another says you must not), what time of night you are allowed to have sex, what direction you should face when reciting sohila (your pillow), etc. some say do not eat beef, some say do not eat halal, and some say do not eat meat. some say keski is kakkar, some say kes. some say you must wear two turbans. it's very educational.

You were Blocked

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Afer making small search I could not locate the rehat maryada other than SGPc. You may kindly like to provide a link for the same so that the difference between the two may be analysed esp. in regard to the definition OF sikh that is relevant to the post.
Will search out for other rehats ,if available, in due course Of time
Thanks.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sikh80 ji

The Rehat Maryada appears on the SGPC web site as a resource -- for people to make a quick check if they are looking for the rehat. The site has many good resources by the way. The rehat itself is as Jasleen says. I don't know if Akaal Takht has a web site.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Thanks for the efforts put in. However, we are looking for the definition Of a sikh for the present.
Does the Rehat that you state would contain the definitions that are different from the one that is already given.? The idea is to find ouit the possibility of differentiating Amritdharis and Non-amritdharis.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
It appears most of the our posts get crossed.

I would request you to kindly go thru. the thread and evaluate as to why we are after this Rehat.

I would not be very sure if all the Rehats are approved by Akaal takhts. In case no, we shall stick to SGPC/Akaal takht that practically governs most of the sikhs [atleast in India].

The basic idea in the present thread was to see if we can find some help in identifying sikhs with Amritdharis or otherwise.

As I am used to employ the Rehat of SGPC by habit I might have overlooked as to who is the approving authority or even do not know. I will take ,after study, that it should be Akaal takht.
As a parting question : would you be in the know of the things if the rehat issued by one authority has superceeding effect over others. If so, what is the heirarchy. You may not kindly go in details if it is time consuming.

Thanks for the pains and efforts .
e&oe

Apr 4, 2007
Thanks for the efforts put in. However, we are looking for the definition Of a sikh for the present.
Does the Rehat that you state would contain the definitions that are different from the one that is already given.? The idea is to find ouit the possibility of differentiating Amritdharis and Non-amritdharis.

i'm not sure i understand your question.

the definition of sikh as you stated from the panthic rehet maryada stands, as far as i know. sects/jathas may feel differently about it.

it's easy to differentiate amritdhari from non-amritdhari (sehejdhari)... amritdhari has been through the amrit sanchar and has not broken his rehat. if he has broken rehat, he must go before the panj piyare and ask forgiveness and accept his punishment.

a non-amritdhari has either never taken amrit sanchar, or has taken amrit and then commited a bujjar kurhet (drinking/smoking, eating halal/meat, committing adultry, or removing hair from the body).

does this answer your question?

Apr 4, 2007
I appear most of the posts of ours get crossed.

I would request you to kindly go thru. the thread and evaluate as to why we are after this Rehat.

I would not be very sure if the a ll the Rehats are approved by Akaal takhts. In case no, we shall stick to SGPC/Akaal takht that practically governs most of the sikhs [atleast in India].

The basic idea in the present thread was to see if we can find some help in indentifying sikhs with Amritdharis or otherwise.

As I am used to employ the Rehat of SGPC by habit I might have overlooked as to who is the approving authority. I will take ,after study, that it should be Akaal takht.

Thanks for the pains and efforts .
e&oe

sorry if i was unclear before.

the panthic rehet is the one on the SGPC website. it is the only one approved by akal takht.

some sects may follow different maryada, this is their choice. but if you read into the maryada followed by the major sects/jathas (damdami taksal, akj) you'll see that they are certainly in line with the panthic rehet, that is, they are following the rehet on the SGPC site AND additional code set by their particular organization.

i hope this makes some kind of sense. :)

Apr 4, 2007
I think my english is not like Americans. I write simple english. May be some day I shall be in US and that may change me as well.

don't be so sure... i think i'm writing simple english, but somehow, it always gets misinterpreted! :)

i think that some people will always look for bad things in people's comments, even if none was intended. :)

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
i repeat my question

where do Guru ji(SGGS) give us the instructions(verbatim or implied) which SGPC calls as rehat?

Apr 4, 2007
i repeat my question

where do Guru ji(SGGS) give us the instructions(verbatim or implied) which SGPC calls as rehat?

guru granth sahib ji and maryada are two different things. guru sahib gave many instructions which are not included in SGGS... 5ks, amrit sanchar, nitnem banis, etc. all of these things (as well as some additional suggestions for daily living) which are not found in SGGS are found in maryada.

SGGS is a spiritual guide. rehat maryada is a temporal guide. SGGS will help you reach God. maryada will help you be a Sikh. :)

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<SGGS will help you reach God. maryada will help you be a Sikh.>>

interesting

once again its becoming a chicken and egg question.

who is "SIKH" ?

who made the "REHAt" ?
Does the "REHAT" define "SIKH" ?

how does SGGS define "SIKH" or "GURSIKH"

i beseech the learned members to shed some light on this

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: