Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Amrit Sanchar Ceremony

Discussion in 'New to Sikhism' started by gascosikh, Mar 22, 2008.

1. gascosikh

gascosikh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Greetings Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

I am new to Sikh faith and wish to take Amrit soon. But I am desperate to find the plain clothes that are appropriate for the ceremony. I am a small female and have simply decided to get a mens white kurta pajama. I don't want to wear anything inappropriate. The other K's have not been hard for me to find, but the simple kurta pajama unisex are very difficult as most are gaudy and made for Hindu Puja etc.

Can anyone tell me a good quality but not too high cost place to acquire these? I would be greatly appreciative. So far I am having one made in India but it is expensive ship to US. Should I just buy the cloth and have it tailored?

Many many thanks, laura

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Regarding Panj Pyare Choosen for Amrit Sanchar Blogs Oct 21, 2015
    Amrit Sanchar Preparation Course Questions and Answers Jun 20, 2013
    Amrit Sanchar UK 2012 Questions and Answers Jul 2, 2012
    Amrit Sanchar and the Divine Bridegroom (Everything Explained) New to Sikhism Jul 28, 2009
    Amrit Defined..and Amrit Sanchar New to Sikhism Jan 29, 2008

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Laura,

Where in the US are you located? And if you have the patience to work with several Internet sites, several links to follow up, you may save some money.

Your clothing has to be white, new and made of cotton (forum members correct me if I am wrong about this).

On one site that I located, you can get pants and a short cotton caftan (which looks exactly like a kurta -- top or shirt). Think you may have to wear a white tee under it though because the cotton is very fine. They have extra small sizes.

But we cannot post a commercial link in a discussion thread. So if you are interested in having the link, you may have to send me a private message.

4. gascosikh

gascosikh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Sat Nam, Thank you, I would be very interested--thank you so very very kindly!

laura

5. Archived_Member1

Archived_Member1
    Expand Collapse
    gone to greener pastures
    SPNer Supporter

i believe that is only true for 3HO sikhs. at my amrit sanchar, women just wore plain everyday salwar kameez's... actually, i think i was the only one there wearing white. :) remember that in punjabi culture, white is the color of mourning, so it's usually only worn by widows.

any simple clothing will be fine. you can purchase a plain cotton salwar suit at any indian clothing shop, or online, just type salwar kameez in google and you'll find a ton of them.

kurta pajama is more of a men's outfit... i've never actually seen a woman wearing one, it might come across as out of place. just a thought. :)

6. Harjas Kaur Khalsa

Harjas Kaur Khalsa
    Expand Collapse

Thank you Jasleen Ji for answering. I never heard of this either. Jatha where they all dress in white makes sense though. From that yoga angle, coming from Hindu renunciate traditions, maybe the white represents death of self.

7. Archived_Member1

Archived_Member1
    Expand Collapse
    gone to greener pastures
    SPNer Supporter

i think you are right. nanaksaris wear white turbans as a symbol of death of ego. maybe it is the same for 3HO.

also, in the west, white represents purity, a purity we regain when we receive amrit. that's why i chose to wear white. :)

8. gascosikh

gascosikh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I am taking Amrit tomorrow... :eek:
    I am going to be taking Amrit at the Sikh Gurdwara tomorrow at 3AM. My elderly Sikh friend is not even allowed in. Only 3 other people and myself are taking the amrit. Geez I did not think I would be so nervous! :confused:I am freaking out! I want it all to go well. I am so afraid I'll be asked to recite something and will not know what to say! I told the panj that I don't speak Gurmukhi or Paanjabi and he says it is OK. He says I can help him learn English!:idea:

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA! WAHEGURU JI KA FATEH!

Blessings to all the Sikhs out there, those taking/taken Amrit and all who have not yet taken the plunge.

Laura (Simran Kaur)-we'll see if they accept this nam at Amrit...

9. pk70

pk70
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

Gascosikh ji

Best wishes. I hope this kind of excitement for Sikhi will elevate your spirit high!!!
    Good Job.

10. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Gascosikh!
    Congratulations and all of God's blessings upon you. I am excited for you. And I hope that you and your friend, and your family, do something really special afterward.

A nice dinner. Go to a park.

This is extremely good news. Thank you for letting us know.

11. futurekaur

futurekaur United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Gascosikh;
    congratulations! what a great step. I'm so impressed. I hope everything goes well for you and you have a big celebration.
    for the future this link should be usefu to obtain sikh goods:

why wouldn't they let her Sikh friend observe the Amrit ceremony? I didn't think it was private.

no commercial sites permitted in the forum or in the blogs. you meant well. the thing to do is to send gascosikh the link by private message.

#10 futurekaur, Apr 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  12. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

The Khandeh Batte dee PAHUL (Amrit) ceremony is an INITIATION RITE for memebership of the Guru Khalsa Panth Brotherhood.
    It is a PRIVATE Ceremony guarded by a SEWADAAR who stands outside the closed door. ( Guru Gobind Singh Ji also performed this in 1699 at Anandpur Sahib in a Closed TENT).
    The Abhilakhees ( initiates ) , the PANJ and the Sixth sewadaar in attendance to the SGGS are the ONLY ones allowed into the Room. The seventh sewadaar stands guard outside so no interference/interruptions/disturbances etc. Finally at the Conclusion the newly KHALSA SINGHS/KAURS are taken to the Main darbaar and matha tek to SGGS and everyoen in the snagat can see them in their new Khalsa Roles.
    Thus this is not a "show" or public performance. It is striclty between the GURU and his Disciple who is going to GIVE HIS/HER HEAD in return for the Amrit.
    Gyani jarnail Singh

13. futurekaur

futurekaur United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Jarnailji thank you very much for explaining this to me. I have a lot to learn....

And I'm sorry about the commerical post. Thank you moderator for being so nice.

14. DONNA

DONNA
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Sat Sri Akal,

When I read this description of the amrit ceremony something bothered me-section c states that those administering the Khande di Pahul should not be disabled or ill. How can this be as everyone is equal. Surely what matters is that the person is amritdhari and not whether they are able-bodied or not. I stepped onto the Sikhi path quite recently mainly because of it's belief in equality and that we are all the same under one god -which is an absolute truth-therefore, I do not understand and cannot accept part of the above account. Can this be correct. I would be very grateful to hear everyone's views on this matter.

Kind regards.

Donna.

15. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

[SIZE=-1]"n. After the Ardas as thinking of our Father, the Tenth Nanak Guru Gobind Singh Sahib, the wearer of the aigrette, every person seeking to be Amritdhari should sit in Bir Assan "[/SIZE]
    Would like to add on to Donna's comment that not everyone can sit in a Bir Assan.

16. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

The "Requirements" of Bir-Assan, having One Hand on the Batta Edge and the other stirring the KHanda, keeping BOTH eyes on the Amrit...are PHYSICAL QUALIFICATIONS.
    This has absolutley nothing to do with "Equality..discrimination..whatever. Just as a" Physically Blind " cannot be a pilot/driver....(simplistic example)...so a paraplegic cannot hold the khanda/stir the Amrit...or sit in Bir Assan....and simialrly a BLIND person wouldnt be able to concentrate on the Amarit with hsi eyesight....and a MUTE wouldnt be able to RECITE the Banis necessary....
    I have had to answer this sort of queries umpteen times in the past 30 years of my academic life....and my reply is always as above. The "physical qualities" are not meant to discriminate..BUT FACILITATE the proper procedire for preparing the PAHUL and Administration of Amrit.
    2. The Amrit is administered into the KESH....and into the EYES besides being given to be drunk by the abhilakhees.

Gyani JS

17. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

n. After the Ardas as thinking of our Father, the Tenth Nanak Guru Gobind Singh Sahib, the wearer of the aigrette, every person seeking to be Amritdhari should sit in Bir Assan

18. DONNA

DONNA
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Thankyou for the explanation, now I understand.

Kind regards.

Donna.

19. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

Bhagat Singh Ji, Gurfateh.
    Yes each amrit abhilakhee is to be in a position of Bir Assan..BUT IF he/she CANNOT be ( for any reason) then I dont think this negates initiation. A Blind person can be initiated even though his eyes cannot receive the amrit....Anyone inlcuidng the paraplegics and the handicapped are ALLOWED to BOARD the SHIP of GURU NANAK-GURU GOBIND SINGH JI.....only the "CAPTAIN and His CREW ...(Panj) ...need to be able bodied/sighted/best of the best. IF it was the other way around..these woudl be "specifically EXCLUDED..as the clauses about the PANJ are self expalnatory.
    Warm regards
    Gyani JS:yes: