• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

American Sikhs: Towards A More Perfect Union

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Dr. I.J. Singh, Professor, New York University; Jasjit Singh, Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund; and Paramjit Singh, Productive Group, Inc., speak about the American Sikh: Towards a more Perfect Union. 04.14.10

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/p/EB412EE342A34F09&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

Attachments

• sikhs_american.jpg
    sikhs_american.jpg
    11.7 KB · Reads: 227

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Aman Singh ji

You did a wonderful job of incorporating these videos into the forum framework. The video looks great in the spotlight, and the way you have the videos set to run in automatic progression is amazing!

Thanks for thinking this was important enough to do up with style and skill!

For some time now, pride of country and pride of faith have declined as values here, particularly among those who consider themselves sophisticates. Better to be ironical, even cynical, about the US and its history. Surely there have been blunders through our history. Sometimes however it seems as if there have never been successes in more than 200 years.

But in watching these videos I was struck by the effect these Singhs had on me. I don't know any of them personally, though I know of 2 of them via Internet. In spite of that, and in spite of the fact that Sikhism has lived in only 5 years of my life, I found myself bursting with pride. These men are the Sikhs who made passage into this complicated land an act of personal effort and creativity. There are many others like them, we just don't know their names, nor have seen their faces, and they are the norm not the exception. What message do they have? All the messages are personal and unique. What do they have in common? Their journey was long and requires a lot of determination, but it was meaningful every step of the way.

So these are the Singhs (and Kaurs) that I know at first hand, no cynics among them, only openness and courage are in their signatures. And they are leaving this land better than they found it.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM