• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhi Am I Ready To Take Amrit?

kAuR sAn

SPNer
Mar 8, 2016
Punjab
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh !!

I am here because I want to ask a question. And as m new I don't know how to do that. I tried earlier but it didn't work. So m asking here. Well ! I am an 18 years old girl. A week before I thought of taking amrit. I know that's really a quick decision. So I wanted to ask someone. As I haven't told this to my family so I was looking for a discussion online. Actually I have a guilt of hurting my family. They used to love me a lot. But I have lost that love and respect as well. I couldn't find any solution to this. So I thought to be on a right path. The path of our gurus. So that I'll never hurt my parents and my whole family again. I really feel sad as I hurt them all. So was thinking of taking amrit. I don't know how my parents will react. As I don't even do nitnem. I want forgiveness from my parents as well as from god. So was kinda confused as am I ready to take amrit ?? and if yes then when should I go for it?? Will it help me for the forgiveness??

Please help me if u can. Because m confused to take or not.....:(

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh !!

I am here because I want to ask a question. And as m new I don't know how to do that. I tried earlier but it didn't work. So m asking here. Well ! I am an 18 years old girl. A week before I thought of taking amrit. I know that's really a quick decision. So I wanted to ask someone. As I haven't told this to my family so I was looking for a discussion online. Actually I have a guilt of hurting my family. They used to love me a lot. But I have lost that love and respect as well. I couldn't find any solution to this. So I thought to be on a right path. The path of our gurus. So that I'll never hurt my parents and my whole family again. I really feel sad as I hurt them all. So was thinking of taking amrit. I don't know how my parents will react. As I don't even do nitnem. I want forgiveness from my parents as well as from god. So was kinda confused as am I ready to take amrit ?? and if yes then when should I go for it?? Will it help me for the forgiveness??

Guru Fateh,

Consider the reason for your feelings of guilt, and attempt to remedy that by the appropriate means, i.e. if you need to apologize to your parents or make amends by returning something or performing any actions, then do so and ask for forgiveness from anyone you might have hurt.

Taking Amrit is a good thing, but make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. It is for your spiritual growth and not to alleviate guilt or any other worldly reason.

So, first apologize to those who you hurt. Go to them and be humble and tell them you are sorry. They may react negatively, or they may still be angry with you, but it's very important that they hear you say the words. And then do what you can to make amends.

After you have done that, then if you are still thinking of Amrit after that, then it's something to consider. Remember this is a change of life, so don't take it lightly.

[AoG]

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I am here because I want to ask a question.

as far as I can tell the question is whether you should take Amrit on a whim?

I know that's really a quick decision. So I wanted to ask someone.
fair enough, it is quite a quick decision.

As I haven't told this to my family so I was looking for a discussion online.
now, why would you not tell your family?

Actually I have a guilt of hurting my family.

your an 18 year old Sikh girl, it would be unusual if you did not have a guilt of hurting your family.

They used to love me a lot. But I have lost that love and respect as well. I couldn't find any solution to this. So I thought to be on a right path. The path of our gurus. So that I'll never hurt my parents and my whole family again. I really feel sad as I hurt them all. So was thinking of taking amrit.
That is not a great reason to take Amrit

I don't know how my parents will react. As I don't even do nitnem. I want forgiveness from my parents as well as from god

I am not so sure Ek Onkar does forgiveness, I am not sure Ek Onkar does any human emotion period.

So was kinda confused as am I ready to take amrit ??

It all depends what Amrit means to you, to some it is merely an invitation to an exclusive social club, it certainly has no magical powers that are going to save you, well, in my opinion anyway, Amrit is more of a statement that you are going to live your life in a certain way, rather than a magic potion that will transform you.
nd if yes then when should I go for it?? Will it help me for the forgiveness??
If it were to take Amrit, to get forgiveness from your parents, then that is your decision. You must examine your own motives.

if your confused, better to not, better to make a decision not confused, to get rid of your confusion, ask yourself what your agenda is.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM