• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity Allah And Parbrahm Are One And The Same

Feb 25, 2010
Blessings and Light Narayanjot!

OOOOH , I goofed didn't I? So sorry! I have mispelled an important name, Dasam, yes! Please be patient, I have two problems , unfamiliarity with the terms and a broken spell checker.:)

Curious

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
curious seeker ji

No need to apologize. There was only one reason why I asked. "Darsam" Could have been "Dasam" or it could have been "Dars(h)an." And which would have changed the meaning of the sentence. I was not commenting on your spelling and forgive me if you thought I was correcting you.

Feb 25, 2010
Nah!:) I did not think you were correcting me I was just sorry that I misspelled an important name.

Can I ask you, do Sikhi have an Initiation-Conversion Ceremony? What does the conversion or acceptance ( I like this last word better to describe what happens to seekers) process, entail?

Divine Radiant Light for You!

Curious

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Can I ask you, do Sikhi have an Initiation-Conversion Ceremony? What does the conversion or acceptance ( I like this last word better to describe what happens to seekers) process, entail?

Divine Radiant Light for You!

Curious

The quick answer is NO! The fundamental "initiation" or "acceptance" is the amrit sanchar ceremony, known as Khande di Pahul , when Sikhs, born or converted, make their personal commitment to become khalsa. Then on may typically add "Khalsa" to their name.

Section 6 of the Sikh Rehat Maryada, Chapter 13

Ceremony of Baptism or Initiation
Article XXIV

(a) Ambrosial baptism should be held at an exclusive place away from common human traffic.
(b) At the place where ambrosial baptism is to be administered, the holy Guru Granth Sahib should be installed and ceremonially opened. Also present should be six committed baptized Sikhs, one of whom should sit in attendance of the Guru Granth Sahib and the other five should be there to administer the ambrosial baptism. These six may even include Sikh women. All of them must have taken bath and washed their hair.
(c) The five beloved ones who administer ambrosial baptism should not include a disabled person, such as a person who is blind or blind in one eye, lame, one with a broken or disabled limb, or one suffering from some chronic disease. The number should not include anyone who has committed a breach of the Sikh discipline and principles. All of them should be committed baptized Sikhs with appealing personalities.
(d) Any man or woman of any country, religion or cast who embraces Sikhism and solemnly undertakes to abide by its principles is entitled to ambrosial baptism.
The person to be baptized should not be of very young age; he or she should have attained a plausible degree of discretion. The person to be baptized must have taken bath and washed the hair and must wear all five K’s - Kes (unshorn hair), strapped Kirpan (sword), Kachhera (prescribed shorts), Kanga (Comb tucked in the tied up hair), Karha (Steel bracelet). He/she must not have on his/her person any token of any other faith. He/she must not have his/her head bare or be wearing a cap. He/she must not be wearing any ornaments piercing through any part of the body. The persons to be baptized must stand respectfully with hands folded facing the Guru Granth Sahib.
(e) Anyone seeking to be rebaptized, having committed an aberration, should be singled out and the five beloved ones should award chastisement to him/her in the presence of the congregation.
(f) One from amongst the five beloved ones administering ambrosial baptism to persons seeking to be baptized should explain the principles of the Sikh religion to them:
The Sikh religion advocated the renunciation of the worship of any created thing, and rendering of worship and loving devotion to, and meditating on, the One Supreme Creator. For the fulfillment of such devotion and meditation, reflection on the contents of Gurbani and practicing of its tenets, participation in the congregational services, rendering service to the Panth, benevolent exertion (to promote the good of others), love of God’s name (loving reflection on the experience of the Divine), living within the Sikh discipline after getting baptized etc. are the principal means.
He should conclude his exposition of the principles of Sikh religion with the query: Do you accept these willingly?
(g) On an affirmative response from the seekers of baptism, one from amongst the five beloved ones should perform the Ardas for the preparation of baptism and take the holy Hukam (command). The five beloved ones should come close to the bowl for preparing the amrit (ambrosial nectar).
(h) The bowl should be of pure steel and it should be placed on a clean steel ring or other clean support.
(i) Clean water and sugar puffs should be put in the bowl and the five beloved ones should sit around it in bir posture [Sitting in bir posture comprises sitting resting the body on the right leg, the right calf and foot gathered inward and the left leg up to the shin kept in a vertical position.] and recite the under mentioned scriptural compositions.
(j) The scriptural composition to be recited are: The JapJi, the Jaap, The Ten Sawaiyas (commencing with sarawag sud), The Bainti Chaupai (from “hamri karo hath dai rachha” to “susht dokh te leho bachai”), the first five and the last one stanza of the Anand Sahib.
(k) Each of the five beloved ones who recites the scripture should hold the edge of the bowl with his left hand and keep stirring the water with a double-edged sword held in his right hand. He should do that with full concentration. The rest of the beloved ones should keep gripping the edge of the bowl with both hands concentrating their full attention on the ambrosial nectar.
(l) After the conclusion of the recitation, one from amongst the beloved ones should perform the Ardas.
(m) Only that person seeking to be baptized who has participated in the entire ceremony of ambrosial baptism can be baptized. One who has turned up while the ceremony was in progress cannot be baptized.
(n) After the Ardas as per clause (1) above, thinking of our Father, the tenth Master, the wearer of the aigrette, every person seeking to be baptized should sit in bir posture, putting his/her right hand cupped on the left cupped hand and be made to drink the ambrosial mix five times, as the beloved one who pours the mix into his cupped hand exclaims: say, Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh! (The Khalsa is of the Wondrous Destroyer of darkness; victory too, is His!) The person being baptized should after imbibing the ambrosia, repeat: Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh. Then five handfuls of the ambrosial mix should be sprinkled into the eyes of the person being baptized and another five into his hair. Each such sprinkling should be accompanied by the beloved one administering baptism saying, “Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh”, and the person being baptized repeating the chant. Whatever ambrosial mix is left over after the administration of the ambrosial baptism to all individual seekers, should be sipped by all (men and women) baptized, together.
(o) After this the five beloved ones, all together in chorus, communicating the name of Waheguru to all who have been administered the ambrosial baptism, recite to them the mul mantar (basic creed, seminal chant) and make them repeat it aloud: ik aunkar satnam karta purakh nirbhau nirwair akal murat ajuni saibhang gur prasad.
(p) After this, one from amongst the five beloved ones should explain to the initiates the discipline of the order: Today you are reborn in the true Guru’s household, ending the cycle of migration, and joined the Khalsa Panth (order). Your spiritual father is now Guru Gobind Singh and, spiritual mother, Mata Sahib Kaur. Your place of birth is Kesgarh Sahib and your native place is Anandpur Sahib. You, being the sons of one father, are, inter-se yourselves and other baptized Sikhs, spiritual brothers. You have become the pure Khalsa, having renounced your previous lineage, professional background, calling (occupation), beliefs, that is, having given up all connections with your caste, descent, birth, country, religion, etc.. You are to worship none except the One Timeless Being - no god, goddess, incarnation or prophet. You are not to think of anyone except the ten Gurus and anything except their gospel as your savior. You are supposed to know Gurmukhi (Punjabi alphabet). (If you do not, you must learn it). And recite, or listen in to the recitation of, the under mentioned scriptural compositions, the daily repetition of which is ordained, every day: (1) The JapJi Sahib, (2) The Jaap Sahib, (3) The Ten Sawaiyas (Quatrains), beginning “sarawag sudh”, (4) The Sodar Rehras and the Sohila. Besides, you should read from or listen in to the recitation from the Guru Granth. Have, on your person, all the time, the five K’s: The Keshas (unshorn hair), the Kirpan (sheathed sword) [The length of the sword to be worn is not prescribed.], the Kachhera [The Kachhera (drawers like garment) may be made from any cloth, but its legs should not reach down to below the shins.], the Kanga (comb), the Karha (steel bracelet) [The karha should be of pure steel.].
The under mentioned four transgressions (tabooed practices) must be avoided:
<dl><dd> (1) Dishonoring the hair;
(2) Eating the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way;
(3) Cohabiting with a person other than one’s spouse;
(4) Using tobacco.

</dd></dl> In the event of the commission of any of these transgressions, the transgressor must get rebaptized. If a transgression is committed unintentionally and unknowingly, the transgressor shall not be liable to punishment. You must not associate with a Sikh who had uncut hair earlier and has cut it or a Sikh who smokes. You must ever be ready for the service of the Panth and of the gurdwaras (Sikh places of worship). You must tender one tenth of your earnings to the Guru. In short, you must act the Guru’s way in all spheres of activity.
You must remain fully aligned to the Khalsa brotherhood in accordance with the principles of the Khalsa faith. If you commit transgression of the Khalsa discipline, you must present yourself before the congregation and beg pardon, accepting whatever punishment is awarded. You must also resolve to remain watchful against defaults in the future.

Sikhism - Sikh Rehat Maryada

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM