Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

All India Sikh Students Federation writes to Facebook chief to stop derogatory depiction on Sikh Gur

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by spnadmin, Jul 18, 2013.

1. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

All India Sikh Students Federation writes to Facebook chief to stop derogatory depiction on Sikh gurus

IP Singh

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...iction-on-Sikh-gurus/articleshow/21133185.cms

JALANDHAR: The All India Sikh Students Federation (AISSF) has written to the CEO of Facebook to ensure that derogatory depiction or comments about the Sikh gurus were not uploaded on the website. The federation has also complained to Chandigarh police after a few such cases have come to fore. Recently, quite a few cases have been lodged against the offenders under sections 295 A of IPC and protests by people have also been witnessed at various places.

"We have written to the the CEO urging him to work out a mechanism to ensure that this would not happen in the future. Such instances are increasing and these not only hurting people but are also causing unrest in society. Recently, derogatory pictorial depiction or offensive comments about first Sikh Guru Nanak Dev and 10th Guru Gobind Singh have been noticed," said AISSF president Karnail Singh Peermohammad.

"We have rather suggested that other religious figures should also be included in the list. Such acts of some people were leading to communal unrest and could even lead to clashes," he said.

Meanwhile, in a complaint to cybercell of the Chandigarh police, the federation has asked them to take action on the issue and to nail the culprits. In the last one month, lodging of FIRs and protests have been held at Jalandhar, Kapurthala, Ludhiana, Mohali and Moga. Some accused including a Mohali-based Shiv Sena leader Amit Sharma was also arrested by the Jalandhar police.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

3. Inderjeet Kaur

Inderjeet Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

Facebook needs to be free to set its own TOS without governmental interference. Governmental curbing of free speech is a nefarious evil worse than the wrong it seeks to curb.

I detest these sacrilegious pictures as much as anybody, but the government needs to stay out of it. The students are doing exactly the right thing by approaching Facebook. They won't get what they want, though, because the West has its own tradition of blasphemous depictions of Holy people as protected free expression.

Of course, India and a few other countries may not have reached the stage of development where free expression is possible. In that case, I say, time yo grow up, guys.

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

• Like Like x 4
  4. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Somewhere in recent days I have posted an article describing the growing pressure facebook is experiencing from many groups and individuals who are protesting offensive images and comments. facebook is reconsidering its abuse policy. But we should not be fooled.

The story behind the story is that advertisers on facebook are feeling the blows and are withdrawing ads from pages found to be offensive by others. facebook is a business, a fabulously wealthy enterprise and wants to stay that way. Any concern for freedom of expression on the Internet is far out-weighed by concern for net revenue.

Continuing pressure will get the attention of advertisers, and they will get the attention of facebook. The question that sticks with me is what is "abusive?" Any number of opinions I have expressed could be seen as offensive by someone. There is the traditional solution to offensive content. Block it. That is what I do unless slander or an obvious crime is being advocated.

• Like Like x 1
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Section 205 A of IPC refers to "hurting religious sentiments" which is punishable by imprisonment and fines in India. This type of statute can backfire. At what point does an "unpopular" or a "critical" opinion constitute the hurting of religious sentiments? Almost always. Anytime proselytizing occurs here at SPN one could make that charge. Any member of the forum who objected to it could also be accused. Any time objection to decisions of SGPC or Akal Takht are voiced, someone could be "hurt."

There is a real possibility that all religious expression could be suppressed for fear that any expression hurts someone's sentiments. In turn that demonstrates the reason why government and religion need to be kept as far apart as possible ... at least this is the opinion of those nations that have adopted separation of church and state. Though India is a secular nation, religion is a constant factor in many a legal deliberation, in the courts, on the web, and in the public discourse, to an extent unknown in many other plaes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Inderjeet Kaur

Inderjeet Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

It all gets back to the bottom line. I wish Facebook would say, "We're fabulously wealthy. Let's take a few chances in the name of free expression." But they won't. Now that they're a publicly held entity, they owe it to the stockholders to make as much money as possible. Don't they?

Purely as a personal choice, I leave offensive comments on my Facebook TimeLine simply because I am committed to radical free speech, which includes that which I find offensive. I would report threats of violence, I suppose, but I have never had to face that.

And no matter what anyone says, however innocuous, someone will find it offensive.

• Like Like x 1
    #5 Inderjeet Kaur, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  7. Inderjeet Kaur

Inderjeet Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

I cannot understand in what way India is a secular nation, but I think that may be going far afield from the topic of this discussion, so I will refrain.

8. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

India is a secular nation because unlike a country like Saudi Arabia or even Norway there is no state religion. Courts have on several occasions declared that Hinduism is not a religion in spite of a 92 percent Hindu majority.

I may be mistaken, but historically Section 295 was intended to prevent oppression of religious minorities by the majority religion, and to protect expression in a country that is religiously diverse in the extreme. The downside is that the constitution obligates the government to intervene in religious affairs. So India is secular, but there is no separation of religion from the state. Rather India, a secular state, regulates religion per its constitution.

• Like Like x 1