• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

All Followers Of Sikh Gurus Not Sikhs : SGPC

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti

I actually watched a couple of her videos. It was kind of funny to me because I live in a college town and there are SO many kids in this town that dress like that, sell hemp necklaces on the corners, get together and thump on any kind of drum they can find... sometimes they even have belly dancers and beat drums and sing hara krishna. They have so much fun and I love how they seem to be trying out their wings. I often wonder how many of them are out of their family's eyesight for the first time in their lives and perhaps they came from some catholic or fundamentalist christian home...

As for Ariana Saraha -- IS she a Sikh?

My initial reaction was -- only she could answer that question.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Thanks Caroline Ji and Jasleen Ji for your genuine feedback. In contrast with this topic, there's the other side to consider :

"The Turbans" were a Philadelphia based R&B vocal group that had chart success in the mid-50. Featuring Al Banks , Matthew Platt, Charlie Williams and Andrew Jones, the Turbans are credited with performing the first hit record to include the phrase ‘doo-wop’.
turban_turbans.jpg

Response to Non-Sikh Musicians that wear Turbans​
Lakhvir Singh Friday, April 27, 2007 9:51:00 PM
Have you noticed? All of the non-Sikhs here are African American. Goes to show, to some extent, the shared love for the turban. Did you know that there are some African here in Kenya, known as Mkorinos, who also wear turbans as part of their religion? The amazing fact is that their turbans are tied in the same way their Sikh counterparts wear in East Africa. The Mkorinos mostly wear white turbans and some even grow their beards. They look like Kenyan African Sikhs
Dr. Lonnie Smith is one of the best of the line of funky Hammond organists that came up in the 60’s. He started his career in George Benson’s combo, before branching out on is own for legendary recordings like ‘Finger Lickin’ Good’, ‘Think’ and ‘The Turning Point’, as well as memorable sideman work in the group of Lou Donaldson. He’s still cooking today, and is the standard bearer for unconventional, musical turban-wearing.
turban_lonniesmith.jpg

(Source: The journey is the reward: Non-Sikh Musicians that wear Turbans)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
what's a "common sikh"?

i think limiting voting to amritdharis makes sense, since all sikhs should be taking amrit anyway, maybe this would encourage people not to wait until their 80 years old to do it? :)

Then there will be another problem many will take amrit just before elections and later break it

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
simpler solution is SGPC opening colleges in areas where sikhs are minority, if they want to give reservation to sikhs( defined by whatever measure they want to - its democracy, they have right to define anything ) :)

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<does it matter? isn't a gurdwara a gurdwara? as long as you have sadh sangat and Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is installed with respect... does it really matter what the name on the building says?>>

Jasleen

this is important

what SGPC is trying to do is draw a line, the line which Guru Nanak tried to erase.

this is because many Gurudwaras today are nothing but another facet of Badal-wara

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
<<does it matter? isn't a gurdwara a gurdwara? as long as you have sadh sangat and Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is installed with respect... does it really matter what the name on the building says?>>

Jasleen

this is important

what SGPC is trying to do is draw a line, the line which Guru Nanak tried to erase.

this is because many Gurudwaras today are nothing but another facet of Badal-wara

Its so easy to sit on sideline and critices politicians

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
Its so easy to sit on sideline and critices politicians
Exactly,
Giving oneliners here is not going to work.
i would link this reaction to our reaction to RSS article about onion/ garlic removal request
HARIMANDIR SAHIB, GOLDEN TEMPLE & THE HOLY CITY OF AMRITSAR | Sangh Parivar

. Is there anything wrong written about bhindranwale. How do you explain that. Why no body dare answer this question.
No, we should stop SGPC and politicians. Otherwise, we are just a ... laughing stock.
I am not into the theory that he was sent for a mission by God, he was brave etc... talk to S. Fauja Singh's wife.
May be someone will find my address and come knocking?

But I know, slowly these negative remarks will be remembered only by hindu/ muslim/ christians. Sikhs will idolise Bhindranwale.
One day Badal will be remembered as great Leader.
Rightly so, people CREATE history.
What role models we have? Akal takht chief who fights about dasam granth, who does not have fives seats having same agenda.
We are doomed... already dead.
Let us have some identifier for people like us... who are not "pure" khalsa.
let me suggest.... shishya, sheesh, seeker, onkar. Why should I identify myself with these people.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ballym ji

They are crooks. No question. But the very fact is that Professor Darshan Singh has persisted, and there are those willing to hear him. Sri Guru Granth Sahib is still Guruji, in spite of more than 2 centuries of concerted effort to undermine this truth, and hosts of us defend it, in spite of attacks on it today. This should give you some hope that we are not "dead" yet.

It is all His play. Only good will come of it.

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੈ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਦੁਸਮਨੁ ਟਰੈ ॥
prabh kai simaran dhusaman ttarai ||
Remembering God, one's enemies are repelled.

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਕਛੁ ਬਿਘਨੁ ਨ ਲਾਗੈ ॥
prabh simarath kashh bighan n laagai ||
Remembering God, no obstacles are met.

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੈ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਜਾਗੈ ॥
prabh kai simaran anadhin jaagai ||
Remembering God, one remains awake and aware, night and day.

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੈ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਭਉ ਨ ਬਿਆਪੈ ॥
prabh kai simaran bho n biaapai ||
Remembering God, one is not touched by fear.

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੈ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਦੁਖੁ ਨ ਸੰਤਾਪੈ ॥
prabh kai simaran dhukh n santhaapai ||
Remembering God, one does not suffer sorrow.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: