• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Against Extremism

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
source: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/Against+extremism/2946672/story.html

Against extremism

Editorial: The Ottawa Citizen - April 24, 2010 - 8:11 AM

A Canadian Member of Parliament has done something courageous, and now he needs -- and deserves -- the support of all Canadians.

Ujjal Dosanjh, the Liberal MP for Vancouver South, issued some public statements in favour of moderation, peace, order and the rule of law -- which ought not to be controversial for a politician or anyone else to make, but in this case could be very dangerous for Dosanjh. He was speaking about the rise of extremism in his own religious community, Canadian Sikhs.

Opposing Sikh militancy has caused grief for Dosanjh before. In 1985, he was savagely beaten with a metal bar for expressing his views on the debate over Khalistan, the homeland some Sikhs want to establish in India. Eleven years later, someone threw a Molotov {censored}tail into his office.

Now he faces more threats. First, organizers of a major Sikh parade in Surrey had told Dosanjh and another B.C. Sikh politician, MLA Dave Hayer, that they weren't welcome at the event. The men should bring bodyguards if they showed up, organizers warned.

The parade featured prominent photos of Sikh "martyrs" -- terrorists -- but when Dosanjh spoke out publicly against this, and against extremism generally, death threats against him appeared on Facebook. The parade organizers have tried to suggest that these weren't threats, but simply warnings that Dosanjh would find useful, but Dosanjh himself knows a threat when he sees one.

In a parallel event last week, an American group calling itself Muslim Revolution issued death threats of its own against the creators of the TV show South Park, who portrayed a cartoon version of the prophet Muhammad in a bear suit. This militant group also denied that it was threatening murder, but rather simply passing on useful information for the South Park crew to consider (specifically, urging them to remember that a Dutch filmmaker was murdered for a film that Muslims considered insulting).

Canadians used to hear this sort of cynical, extortionist rhetoric -- albeit on a lesser scale -- from Jean-Claude Parrot when he was head of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers during fractious times. During labour disputes, Parrot would say with great flourish that of course he didn't condone violence from his members ... though of course he and other union leaders would understand how those members might lose control, what with the great provocations they have had to endure from management.

Parrot was making a threat, as are Sikh extremists who tell Hayer and Dosanjh that they had better bring bodyguards if they want to attend public events.

The Sikh case occurs against a backdrop of violence not limited to the Air India bombing of 1985, or the fatal shootings by Kuldip Singh Samra in a Toronto courtroom in 1982. There have been serious injuries this spring at two Toronto-area Sikh temples where members fought with knives, machetes and hammers.

Officials from India have noted Sikhs in Canada are often more extreme that those in India, which raises the uncomfortable possibility that Canada can be an incubator for people who immigrate here and nurse hatred for political opponents in their native countries.

Dosanjh and Hayer should be applauded for standing up to goons who, one hopes, represent a small fringe of Canadian Sikhs yet have the ability to damage the whole community.

Ottawa Citizen © Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

If anyone desires to express your opinion on this editorial:

You can email your letter directly to letters@thecitizen.canwest.com, or fax it to 613-726-5858, or send it to:

Ottawa Citizen
Letters to the Editor
1101 Baxter Road
Box 5020
Ottawa, ON
K2C 3M4

This will be much more effective & productive action, rather than argue among ourselves.

Harbhajan S. Sangha

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Harbhajan Singh ji,

Guru Fateh

You write:

This will be much more effective & productive action, rather than argue among ourselves.

I beg to differ with you. No one is arguing here. That is a false presumption on your part and also a cop out if I may add.

You post one sided articles and that is not fair to anyone. You refuse to rebutt them even when they lack the facts but are full of " truthiness", quoting Stephen Colbert.

So, I have no idea what your agenda is. It is obvious from your news posting that you are for Ujall Dosanjh who has proven by his statements to be one irresponsible politician as mentioned in my statements and also is anti Sikhs.

This is unfair to the people who visit SPN and trust SPN's content of what you have been doing lately. They deserve fair and balanced reporting. When you post one sided news, it is your duty as a Sikh and the content master to also give the other side which you have not done lately or rebutt with your own knowledge. It is worthless copying and pasting the stories like a sheep when they affect the Sikhs and Sikhi.

Lastly, if you put any news here, you can not keep mum if people ask you questions regarding for what you have posted. It is unfair to direct them towards other sites or to the editor. It is your Sikhi responsibility to respond to the questions that come from them. Otherwise do not post them if you can not back them up.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

roab1

SPNer
Jun 30, 2009
The parade featured prominent photos of Sikh "martyrs" -- terrorists -- but when Dosanjh spoke out publicly against this, and against extremism generally, death threats against him appeared on Facebook. The parade organizers have tried to suggest that these weren't threats, but simply warnings that Dosanjh would find useful, but Dosanjh himself knows a threat when he sees one.

When did the organisers try to suggest about so called threats on facebook?

Was Parmars photo up in this parade?

Is the recent violence in temples related to Khalistan?

It is not hard to understand with current economic scenario what makes the clock tick.

Dosanjh's brain is getting soft with age.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
My impression is that Soul_Jyot ji is posting articles that should be ringing alarms so that those who are not normally aware of the extent of these controversies do make themselves more aware.

The only agenda that I detect is to motivate readers to ask the provocative questions that have not been asked and that need to be asked. Perhaps a bit of a homeopathic treatment in that symptoms are not eased, and pain is intensified a bit, to get the body to heal itself.

roab1 ji has started the ball rolling in that direction.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
The only agenda that I detect is to motivate readers to ask the provocative questions that have not been asked and that need to be asked. Perhaps a bit of a homeopathic treatment in that symptoms are not eased, and pain is intensified a bit, to get the body to heal itself.

Narayanjot ji,

Guru Fateh.

I beg to differ with you. If Soul_jyot's agenda was that people should ask provocative questions then he would not keep mum when asked or direct us to other sites.

He is responsible for what he posts and should be brave enough to respond when asked not keep quiet or make excuses which he has done in all his recent posts. Otherwise there is no need to post because others also watch TV and can find the same news on the net.

Has he responded to Roab's questions? NO. Roab will not get any answer from Soul_Jyot as I did not get any.

So, what he is doing is posting articles which tilt to his own bias. He has ignored the inflammatory and uncalled for statements by his idol Ujall Dosanjh who is anti Sikhs and Sikhi which is a shame.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM