• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus After Rehraas Sahib In Harmandir Sahib Amritsar

Aug 5, 2006
I listen to live telecast of Rehraas sahib from Amritsar.After ardaas sewadar removes
5 rumaalas from SGGS and then gyaniji reads Mukhwaak.Now i want to know why
SGGS{ SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIBJI }is covered with 5 rumaalas !!! when it can be
covered with 1 rumaala also?

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Re: After Rehraas Sahib in Harmandir Sahib Amritsar.

Gurmeet Kaur-2006 Ji

Mind still remains the most complex of all things we encounter. It can read others minds and awkwardly can remain unaware of the possibilities it has. What your mind questioning is pure rational but it could be snubbed with befuddling answers. Remember some one answered centuries ago” the moon has a scar and it has a reason”. Think about that reason today. Some one might have questioned that and most likely could have been snubbed with a mystifying story. When I happen to see such things I just dream to lecture those who are doing this stuff; however, being aware of the fact what my incisive statements would bring back on me, I toy my idea till it dies. . Walk on, enjoy in a different way!:)

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

well done PK70 jio....not sure i completley grasped all you said..

1. I also see how peopel keep on "chharraiying"..rumallas after rumallas....and the Sevadaar in Tabiah just puts the rumallah to SGGS Ji for a brief moment....before it is packed off..to oblivion...( and many say back to the SHOP that sold it....for RESALE...many many times this cycle is repeated..RECYCLING at its BEST !! ???)

2. Our LOCAL GURDWARAS.... are full to OVERFLOWING with Rumallahs...curtains...darrians..bistreys..bhandehs and whatnot.....rumallahs suffer the worst fate..stuffed into ...under the staircase store rooms...in any and all available places....until the rats destroy them..or the white ants eat them up....and then new truck loads are there to take their place !!!...STILL the Sangats keep on DONATING...donating..and donating....
WHILE many of the GURU's BELOVED.. the....children...the poor..the women..GO NAKED !!!! or are in TATTERS...do you really think the GURU is PLEASED when you shower Him with yet another Rumallah ( to pardeh dhakk!!)..I am SURE He is DISPLEASED !! thus I never donate a rumallah...rather use the money to buy a poor child a school UNIFORM....

Gyani Jarnail Singh

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

not sure i completley grasped all you said..
the women..GO NAKED !!!! or are in TATTERS...do you really think the Guru is PLEASED when you shower Him with yet another Rumallah ( to pardeh dhakk!!)..I am SURE He is DISPLEASED !! thus I never donate a rumallah...rather use the money to buy a poor child a school UNIFORM.... (quote Gyani Jarnail Singh ji)

Gyani Jarnail Singh jio,
Not only you have grasped all but also interpreted it with simplicity and beautified it with wonderful suggestion to clothe the needy in the name of our revered Guru. Thanks.:happy:

Gurmeet Kaur Ji
I dont know the exact answer of ur question but i feel dat Shri Darbar Sahib being a Presitgious place of worship for Sikh Community attracts more attention than other Gurudwaras. at Shri Darbar Sahib, the Rumalas are prepared in customized form to look more beautiful and dats d reason its different from other Gurdwaras, where mostly single Rumala is used.

I might b wrong but dis is wat i have understood from my small understanding.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa !
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009

This is again an age old tradition as was carried by Mahants at the Harimandir Sahib in the name of so called Maryada. Their are no reasons for this act. I once personally asked the Head Granthi Sahib their but I was told to shut up and was asked not to try to alter and object to the centuries old maryadas of Harimandir Sahib. Whether you cover the Granth sahib jee in one cloth or five , it does not matter . What matter is the cloth should be neat and clean , properly pressed and should not have been used any where else. That's what the respect is. Nothing more.

Further, I fully agree with S. Jarnail Singh ji. I will too prefer to do the way he is following. God bless him. He is following the true path as directed to us by our great Lord Dhan Guru nanak sahib jee in his numerous shaloks.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

How many of us can walk freely by wearing 6 shirts and 6 trousers on and feel comfortable about it? And add about 6 pugs as well.

Let us not forget to colour coordinate our layers of clothing.

Just a thought!

Tejwant Singh

rosemoon

SPNer
Jun 2, 2010

Exactly Gurmeet, you are right we were also discussing same thing at our home. Bhai sahib removes rumallas one by one and cleans every rumala. This seems like what pandits do at Mandir. We are Proud Sikhs and we should not do the things which make other religion people think that we are same Paakhandi as Brahmins and Pandits. That too at our Supreme Place Like Sri Harmandir Sahib.That is why some Hindu leaders claim that Sikhs are part of Hindus. And yes, every time you ask any question you will be shut up by any means. :confusedmunda:

seveki

SPNer
Jun 12, 2010
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

As far as I was aware, the reason is a purely practical and scientific one.

Harmandir Sahib is surrounded by water, making the air very humid. The effect of humidity fluctuation in the air has a deteriating effect on paper. The five rumallas protect Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji angs from this effect.

So in this particular location, it is not due to ritualism, but due to practicality.

When this is copied elsewhere without the need or knowledge of why it is done then it becomes ritual.

Seveki

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM