• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

S Asia Afghan Sikhs Are Pushed To The Brink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2012
How'd you manage to sleep through all this going on under your nose Tejwant?

Racism in UK in 1980s: In the end of 1976, the skinhead problem started in the UK. There was a lot of Jews around this area. The skinheads gave us a very hard time. The Bengali men were afraid of going out in the late evening. They were troubling the women less, but were attacking the Bengali men. The skinheads used to beat the Bengali men and loot whatever they had on them whenever there was a chance.

Gradually the Pakistani, Indian and the Bangladeshi youths started to form small organisations. They fought back the skinheads. There was big Jewish population around our street. The Jews dominated businesses here in East London. They were the owner of shops. The Jews started to leave the area, and Bengalis started to move into East London.

Q: Can you remember any of the specific incidents of fighting here during the skinheads trouble?

MHM: Yes I can. One evening, this incident took place in front of our house at Varden Street. One of my neighbours, who lived in house no 30, coming back from London Mosque was assaulted by the skinheads. The skinheads physically attacked both father and son. They were screaming for help, we got out of our house, my daughters got out and took some steel rod and started running towards the scene. The skinheads ran away, leaving the victims, very badly injured. After that police came, we threw our rods on the street, we were afraid of being arrested.

We had no telephone in the area. Someone would have to go to New Road to make a call and you don’t know if you will back home safely. The skinheads attacked many Bengalis on their way back from telephone booths.

https://trialbyjeory.wordpress.com/...he-road-we-didnt-want-to-be-hit-by-skinheads/

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2012
And just to confirm it was a nationwide phenomena here's a brief Sikh reference from Arvind Mandair about his experiences in Coventry. So Tejwant, there are plenty of independent accounts supporting what I said about England of the recent past. What your statements suggest to me is that you possibly aren't the most observant brother around (as in noticing stuff around you visually).

There were very few Sikhs and Indians at King Henry VIII at that time, and as you can imagine the environment was somewhat stifling and tended to reinforce a Protestant-Secular consciousness that was racist and religious at the same time.

I was never really happy at King Henry VIII. In fact the first 3 years were downright miserable. During the 1970’s and 80’s, cultural racism was routine, particularly towards immigrant children. It was the hey-day of ‘**** bashing’ in England and like many South Asians my younger brothers and I suffered our fair share of being bashed, both physically and mentally, although my brothers suffered the physical variety more than I did.

http://www.sikhchic.com/people/the_making_of_a_sikh_scholar_a_new_sikhchic_com_series

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Dal Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

When you get back to the point this conversation started with, then we shall talk. Now, as you have no sensible argument to make, you are twirling all over the place to justify your falsehoods. As I said, I left in 1975. All these things you posted have nothing to do with the Sikhs and they were said many years later, when the things can be distorted. Please find any news clippings before 1975 and post them here, then we shall have something to talk about. Now nothing but a timid cop out is coming from you with your false accusations as you have nothing to back yourself up with. I thought you had matured from the times gone by, but I was wrong and apologise for giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Tell me one thing and this is a question unlike your jumping to the conclusions about me as you did quite frothingly, I might add.

Were you one of those kinds of Sikhs in East London, who lived in public housing and looked for handouts from the government rather than seeking for an honest work?

I happen to know quite a few of them who learnt these tricks from the Bangladeshis and others who conned the British government into freebies and constantly had brawls with the skin heads who saw them as competition for the same gravy train.

Tejwant Singh

Jan 26, 2012
Anyway, your point about my 'exaggerated' accounts of racism in the UK is in the toilet where it belongs. If you've shown so much 'circumspection' in this matter I seriously wonder about your perceptions on any matter.

Just so you know, those skins attacking the Bengalis wouldn't pause in their **** bashing and act all civilised if they encountered Sikhs. You don't seem very sharp, because even if you left in 70 whatever, attacks on Asians in East London were a well known phenomena going well into the 80s. Maybe you was too busy daydreaming about playboy playmates or something to notice what was going on around you? You tell me?

Were you one of those kinds of Sikhs in East London, who lived in public housing and looked for handouts from the government rather than seeking for an honest work?

I happen to know quite a few of them who learnt these tricks from the Bangladeshis and others who conned the British government into freebies and constantly had brawls with the skin heads who saw them as competition for the same gravy train.

Firstly shame on you for your cheap shot at Bengalis. The answer is no, my family owned their own properties. And yes, some brawls took place in self defense. Trouble was brought to you, as much as you wanted to avoid it. Being friendly or sycophantic didn't help but made things worse.

I'm educated, I've been to university a few times, I've worked in warehouses, building sites, in the square mile as an engineer, as a teacher. I'm not some ignorant brown chav if that is what you are getting at. But all that crap probably means more to you than someone like me.

Relating to current matters. US Sikhs can learn a thing or two from the East London experience - instead of being constant victims. Essentially concentrate yourselves and protect yourselves against hostility. As you learned from your market stall experience - standing up for yourself actually gets respect and makes your life easier. Waiting for animals to act civilised towards you is a fool's game.

As for Afghanistan, if self defense isn't feasible, if you aren't in a position to carve out a place for yourselves like Asians did in a very hostile East London (which given the situation there is understandable) - get out and move somewhere less vile. Anyone who can get out should, anyone who can't should be helped by the wider international community. As an aside, I personally would like to also stress the point about how foreign invasions/interference seem to have directly cause the current negative environment there for Sikhs. Something too many people ignore.

Ultimately I see East London as a model or beacon for minorities who are enduring violent racist hatred. Asians run those skinheads out of town despite being outnumbered and having a hostile media and complicit police force that pretty much supported the neo-nazis. That should give hope to some people who are enduing similar circumstances around the globe, especially the US. That being said, what that gurdwara incident in the US showed me is that whilst the skins where defeated here, their thinking and philosophy still lives on elsewhere - as shown by the skin who walked into that Gurdwara and murdered innocent Sikhs for no reason.

By the way it is ignorant to ask for newspaper reports from that time. Remember the police would arrest ANY Asians involved in any fracas with whites (look up the Newham 7), even if it where 1 asian lad being set upon by 5 English men. Asians did not (understandably) trust the media or police and rarely reported attacks. Not only that there was a sort of mass silence by the indigenous, partly out of shame and partly because people had sympathy with the attackers objectives. The exceptions to this were the leftists. Even today in the East End, most indigenous whites like to pretend these things didn't happen and obliterate them from memory and watch aghast as 'p@kis' usually out perform them educationally and economically.

Now, as you have no sensible argument to make, you are twirling all over the place to justify your falsehoods.

I'd say that is the case with you. Your only contribution on this thread was to place doubt on the veracity of my depiction of working class England a few decades ago, describing it as an 'exaggeration'. I've provided a number of independent accounts in support of my statement and could give you loads more.

Maybe you should revise your own conception of the past and ask yourself how such significant things could have gone on without them registering in your brain? I wonder what else escaped your notice?

I'm not going to ask for an apology from you because frankly it makes no difference to me one way or another.

What does sicken me to the core however, is how people like yourself, in your oblivious state, totally negate the real experiences of racism of others and essentially play it down and in effect let the perpetrators off the hook. Essentially your suggestion is that real experiences of violent racism is some exaggerated figment of our imagination. You're like a neo-nazis dream come true.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Dal Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Carry on with your cop outs laced with frothing. :)

Anyway, your point about my 'exaggerated' accounts of racism in the UK is in the toilet where it belongs. If you've shown so much 'circumspection' in this matter I seriously wonder about your perceptions on any matter.

Stop being dishonest please. We are here to share and learn. It is not a very good strategy to act in this manner. It demeans your own honesty and integrity.

I can only share my personal experiences during my stay in the UK whereas you are full of hearsay, nothing more. Too bad you are angry that I did not experience the discrimination as many did and you seem upset about it rather than thankful. Perhaps, I talked, walked and acted differently than many. One never knows. Share with us your own racial discrimination that you suffered and for what reason in your point of view. I have no idea why you are full of anger.

How are those news clips you copied and pasted related to you as a Sikh?

Did you always have a dastaar on like I did and still do or had cut hair and looked like a P@ki to the skinheads?

There is nothing wrong to be honest here. I am still waiting for what you did after the shooting in Wisconsin Gurdwara as a Sikh. Please share with us your participation.

I am sorry, I have no remedy for your ire.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Jan 26, 2012
Dal Singh ji,

Carry on with your cop outs laced with frothing. :)

I've answered all your irrelevant questions.

Stop being dishonest please. We are here to share and learn. It is not a very good strategy to act in this manner. It demeans your own honesty and integrity.

Dishonest. You can't even see what's taking place under your nose. Even murder. Like I said before. You seem to live in some ladi da land.

I can only share my personal experiences during my stay in the UK whereas you are full of hearsay, nothing more.

You don't seem to be the most astute of fellows. I've posted umpteen sources that could easily be followed up.

Too bad you are angry that I did not experience the discrimination as many did and you seem upset about it rather than thankful.

What should I be thankful for? That this gives you an excuse to make up some fictitious account of the past divorced from reality?

How are those news clips you copied and pasted related to you as a Sikh?

I would have thought rampant racism would be a concern for any sane person? The fact the the post show a wide range of people, black, white brown, Sikh, Bengali witnessing the same thing sort of thing knocks you own skewed, rose tinted account out of the box. Or maybe everyone else was imagining it and only you saw reality?

Did you always have a dastaar on like I did and still do or had cut hair and looked like a P@ki to the skinheads?

Are you really that simple?

You know that P@ki is/was a derogatory term used to describe all Asians. Turbaned Sikhs as well.

There is nothing wrong to be honest here. I am still waiting for what you did after the shooting in Wisconsin Gurdwara as a Sikh.

The same thing you did in the face of all the racism going on under your nose when you were here by the looks of it. Pretend it didn't happen and then blame the victims.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Dal Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for not being honest as expected and not answering to my questions directed to you. Only you have the answers about your own experience with or without turban which you seem afraid to share for the reasons only known to you and keep on frothing for no reason.

What makes you this angry? Why so much disdain overflowing from you.

I know the people who owned properties in East London and converted them into one bedroom dwellings with one bathroom for many to rent them to the Tamil refugees from Sri Lanka and Bangladeshis and what they were called. Or did your parents rent to the skinheads?

What should I be thankful for? That this gives you an excuse to make up some fictitious account of the past divorced from reality?

Wow! Do you mean you wish I had brawls with the skinheads like you did for whatever reason it may have been? I am appalled at your attitude. It shows more about you as a person than as a Sikh I am afraid and it is a shame indeed. Not to be thankful that someone did not suffer racism is not a thankful thing for you but it makes you even angrier. You have really shown what kind of person you are who wishes ill for others, not a Sikhi trait but your own.

Good luck in your journey.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
What planet are you on?

This is never a good question to ask because one cannot foretell the answers one gets. Except perhaps for planets Jupiter and Mercury the possible inferences are not always positive.

Therefore, it is a good place to close the thread. Nothing has been resolved by the Afghan Sikhs. May they not lose their rightful place under the sun wherever that may be, or wherever they are able to resolve their deepest felt allegiances as a quom, mend their longings for their former home, quell their fears.

Other controversial issues surfaced in the thread. Perhaps they will find their voice on other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: