Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

ADVERTISING in Gurdwaras?

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by CaramelChocolate, Nov 10, 2004.

1. CaramelChocolate

Expand Collapse

Jul 13, 2004
    Waheguruji ka khalsa, Waheguruji ki fateh...

Anybody here from London in the UK? Anyway, we have a mighty big Gurdwara here [ www.sgsss.org ]... And since this Gurdwara has some loans, they now are advertising in there, advertising a rug company!

I was so shocked to see this... I don't think they should have built it in the first place if they had to get a loan for it...

Please share views

The little philosopher
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News Banned Sikh terror group still advertising (Canada.com) Breaking News Jun 21, 2006
    Sikhi Gurdwaras Throw Open Their Spaces, Langar For Stranded Commuters In Haryana Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Feb 23, 2016
    Signs for the Gurdwaras Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Dec 5, 2015
    World Sikh Gurdwaras in France keep doors open; Sikhs step up through #PorteOuverte Breaking News Nov 17, 2015
    Rehat Followed by these Gurdwaras in Kashmir? Questions and Answers Apr 25, 2014

3. drkhalsa

Expand Collapse

Sep 16, 2004
    I think you are quite right in saying so ,I personally also dont believein mighty buildings of gurudwara , i think they should be as simple as possible in building and more rich in services they provide like community kitchen, free literature about sikhism , martial art classes ( Gatka) education classes for kirtan and other activities like that . what i think of such mighty buildings of gurudwara is representation of personal ego of NRI community as there are still many areas where money is required but not available so I think it is more essential to use it properly
  4. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Jul 4, 2004
    Here in KUALA LUMPUR we have built the "largest Gurdwrain South east Asia !! outside of India.."..but it is groaning under huge debts and bank loans..
    The money to pay back the monthly insatllments is "earned" from a Car park, a Multi purpose Hall for wedding Dinners, a multi story building rented out to Firms, shops etc..

Admittedly very little money can be used to run Education, ( a few students in a punjabi class is all we can have) gatka ( non existentant), a next to uselss "collection of old books that goes under the name of Library, NO FREE literature or anything like that...any foreign tourists who come here hoping to get some free literature on Sikhi will be sorely disappointed..

SO in reality what do we have... an IMPOSING HUGE structure..but not enough Sikhs to FILL up its vast halls..and nothing to say about anything else... In Olden Days .. WE had PAKKEH SINGHS and KACHEH gurdware....Now we have PAKKEH GURDWARE and Kache Singhs..what a reversal..in just 50 years..

jarnail Singh
  5. Sher_Singh

Expand Collapse

Nov 10, 2004
    Caramel, I come from the UK and visit that Gurudwara often.
    Could you please indicate to me where you observed that advertisement?

Guru Fateh.