• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

ADVERTISING In Gurdwaras?

Jul 13, 2004
UK
Waheguruji ka khalsa, Waheguruji ki fateh...

Anybody here from London in the UK? Anyway, we have a mighty big Gurdwara here [ www.sgsss.org ]... And since this Gurdwara has some loans, they now are advertising in there, advertising a rug company!

I was so shocked to see this... I don't think they should have built it in the first place if they had to get a loan for it...

Please share views

~CaramelChocolate~
The little philosopher

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Caramel
I think you are quite right in saying so ,I personally also dont believein mighty buildings of gurudwara , i think they should be as simple as possible in building and more rich in services they provide like community kitchen, free literature about sikhism , martial art classes ( Gatka) education classes for kirtan and other activities like that . what i think of such mighty buildings of gurudwara is representation of personal ego of NRI community as there are still many areas where money is required but not available so I think it is more essential to use it properly

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
drkhalsa said:
Dear Caramel
I think you are quite right in saying so ,I personally also dont believein mighty buildings of gurudwara , i think they should be as simple as possible in building and more rich in services they provide like community kitchen, free literature about sikhism , martial art classes ( Gatka) education classes for kirtan and other activities like that . what i think of such mighty buildings of gurudwara is representation of personal ego of NRI community as there are still many areas where money is required but not available so I think it is more essential to use it properly
I agree with Dr Khalsa Ji.
Here in KUALA LUMPUR we have built the "largest Gurdwrain South east Asia !! outside of India.."..but it is groaning under huge debts and bank loans..
The money to pay back the monthly insatllments is "earned" from a Car park, a Multi purpose Hall for wedding Dinners, a multi story building rented out to Firms, shops etc..

Admittedly very little money can be used to run Education, ( a few students in a punjabi class is all we can have) gatka ( non existentant), a next to uselss "collection of old books that goes under the name of Library, NO FREE literature or anything like that...any foreign tourists who come here hoping to get some free literature on Sikhi will be sorely disappointed..

SO in reality what do we have... an IMPOSING HUGE structure..but not enough Sikhs to FILL up its vast halls..and nothing to say about anything else... In Olden Days .. WE had PAKKEH SINGHS and KACHEH gurdware....Now we have PAKKEH GURDWARE and Kache Singhs..what a reversal..in just 50 years..

jarnail Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM